Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs

Options
  • 19-10-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭

See on customs tv show, they fined driver of bmw 7 series 5500 euro for no vrt. 18000 vrt also charged. Serves him right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

proper order! a costly day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Wonder if he visits this forum???

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

bet you he was probably driving it for a while too. I bought my last 2 cars from the uk and paid the fees as per the rules (though I don't agree with the VRT) yet i find amazing to see still plenty of UK and NI reg cars in Ireland and some of them regularely !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They edited that because the guy said nothing in defence. Im sure he probably said a lot but we didnt hear it.

Also do customs not have to wear seatbelts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

another free loading tax dodger on the bus where he belongs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Was it in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

As someone who got away with driving on uk plates for 9 months and saved 1800 euro by not clearing it until after July.. I say na na na na na to all the high horse dwelling posters here.

slideways wrote: »
    I say na na na na na to all the high horse dwelling posters here.

That'll silence them all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

you were lucky that's all but that doesn't excuse what you did- I don't agree with the VRT but that changes nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

I think that customs and Garda dont have to wear seatbelts but im not 100%.

Wasnt impressed how the customs drilled a heap of holes in some guys trailer looking for something suspect, and just used some silicone to fix the holes, and dripping silicone over the roof while there at it. If that was my trailer, id be raging.

• Advertisement

You can remove your "Thanks", I was being sarcastic ;)

They looked like a pack of feckin eejits.

Imagine the shame if anyone outside of Ireland saw the carry on of them with a cordess drill??

DonJose wrote: »
    You can remove your "Thanks", I was being sarcastic ;)

sarcasm_detector.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They edited that because the guy said nothing in defence. Im sure he probably said a lot but we didnt hear it.

He had it on once he got moving, the shot on the M50 he was wearing it for sure. Just didn't have it on as he moved off, too busy worry about where it was I'd imagine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Ur having a go at a guy who didn't pay a tax which the European government says is illegal to impose in the first place.

VRT is no different from doing your shopping up north because its cheaper. If u get what i mean. ;)

Dont get me wrong the car should be registered here so he cant dodge other taxes and stuff but the VRT system is wrong but like everything else in this country we just bend over and take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭sk8board

great program; finally something myself and the wife BOTH watched.

I thought yer man in the 7-series looked very young for that car.

I liked the 'reality' bit, its reality TV after all; the boyo's with their drill, or the lads on the ADam flight with a personal stash. The VRT boys are the money shot though, most watching love to see these lads caught; and not being able to find the handbrake relaese was the cherry on top.

good cheap TV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They seemed very eager with the drill on the truck, was gas watching it!!

sk8board wrote: »

Somebody said that about me and my 06 A4 Sport.

I cannot understand, how old do you have to be to have a premium car?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

I missed customs tonight was the 7 series silver by any chance?

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    I missed customs tonight was the 7 series silver by any chance?

Nope, Black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Somebody said that about me and my 06 A4 Sport.

I cannot understand, how old do you have to be to have a premium car?

Big difference between an A4 & a 7-Series. I don't think its the premium car thing, its the fact its a large car with the reputation of being owned by older, wealthier business persons.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bikki wrote: »
    Ur having a go at a guy who didn't pay a tax which the European government says is illegal to impose in the first place.

They've never said this. Its against the "spirit" of the free market but not the law. We're not the only country with a virtually identical tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

slideways wrote: »
    As someone who got away with driving on uk plates for 9 months and saved 1800 euro by not clearing it until after July.. I say na na na na na to all the high horse dwelling posters here.

Tax avoidance, not Tax evasion. Alive and well :)

I can see a lot more NI/UK cars getting pulled over now that the government are desperate for funds. They got €23.5k for that car, if they stopped one of those luxury everyday for a year you are looking at €8.5m in VRT and fines :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

sk8board wrote: »

You dont have to be old or extremely wealthy to drive 7 series, was just looking at some for sale in uk and they are not too expensive, even after paying vrt i would still think you would save a pretty penny buying it from uk than from a bmw dealer in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Wow, big deal he's avoiding a tax we shouldn't have to pay in the first place. I've saved a few grand on VRT also, in fact my motor is still on NI plates.. I pay VRT on my car, what exactly am I paying for, I should at least find out where the money is going, it certainly isn't going on our ****ing roads anyway.. The government are the criminals, get rid of VRT and I'll pay my motor tax no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

It is really bull**** at the end of the day, across the border, you can buy a car a hell of alot cheaper than down here and the motor tax is prob half of what were paying!

The amount of money that VRT brings in means there is no change the Gov is going to give that up in these days of negative finance in the Gov pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dave147 wrote: »
    Wow, big deal he's avoiding a tax we shouldn't have to pay in the first place. I've saved a few grand on VRT also, in fact my motor is still on NI plates.. I pay VRT on my car, what exactly am I paying for, I should at least find out where the money is going, it certainly isn't going on our ****ing roads anyway.. The government are the criminals, get rid of VRT and I'll pay my motor tax no problem.

It goes to the state, and reduces other areas where they take taxation from.

Would you prefer another 2% on your income tax there instead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is really bull**** at the end of the day, across the border, you can buy a car a hell of alot cheaper than down here and the motor tax is prob half of what were paying!
    Maybe you should move up there?
    NI also has large rates for homeowners - something we don't have here!

Advertisement