Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

MYOB wrote: »
    It goes to the state, and reduces other areas where they take taxation from.

Would you prefer another 2% on your income tax there instead?

Yes.

If it wasn't for VRT I would have a much newer faster car, I just can't stomach handing over 6k to the those corrupt bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dave147 wrote: »
    Yes.

If it wasn't for VRT I would have a much newer faster car, I just can't stomach handing over 6k to the those corrupt bastards.

So how do you justify buying anything, working at all, etc, etc? Thats handing over cash to the 'corrupt bastards'.

Did you actually vote for someone other than them last time?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes.

If VRT didn't exist then the lost revenue would have to come from somewhere such as income tax. One way or another you are going to have to pay. At least with VRT you have a choice whether or not to buy a new car.
    As for a 'faster' car - how fast are you wanting to go as once over the limit you can expect to pay more over to the 'corrupt bastards'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Yes.

If it wasn't for income tax and PRSI, I'd be driving a newer faster car too. They are costing me a lot more than 6K every damn year, and your plan would increase that bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

VRT is an illegal tax in the eyes of the EU and correct me if I'm wrong but we are the only EU state who has to pay it...

also an interesting point to note is that according to my research using the calculator on the VRT website no car no matter what it is , is worth less than 2k ?? You mean to tell me a 1987 nissan micra for instance is worth 2k? The whole thing is a shambles they supposedly get these OMSP figures based on research and statistics gathered from the sale prices of cars but seemingly they cant be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

$lash wrote: »
    VRT is an illegal tax in the eyes of the EU and correct me if I'm wrong but we are the only EU state who has to pay it...

No its not. And no we aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

$lash wrote: »

It is not illegal, simply not in keeping with some EU policies per se, and is not limited solely to Ireland.

If you can't pay it, don't import the car in the first place. :)

Incidentally, I don't want VRT added to the PAYE, I've never bent over for the dealers or the customs guys to buy a new or imported-used car. And I don't plan on it. Only those who want to import/buy new should have to pay it.

Advertisement