Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'or Nomineees

• 19-10-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Togo.
    Sergio Agüero (Atletico Madrid), Argentine.
    Andreï Arshavin (Zénith Saint-Pétersbourg), Russia.
    Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Germany.
    Karim Benzema (Lyon), France.
    Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus Turin), Italy.
    Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Spain.
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Portugal.
    Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Ivory Coast.
    Samuel Eto'o (FC Barcelone), Cameroon.
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Spain.
    Fernando Torres (Liverpool FC), Spain.
    Steven Gerrard (Liverpool FC), England.
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan), Sweden.
    Kaka (Milan AC), Brazil.
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea), England.
    Lionel Messi (FC Barcelone), Argentina.
    Pepe (Real Madrid), Portugal.
    Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich), France.
    Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), England.
    Marcos Senna (Villarreal), Spain.
    Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Spain.
    Luca Toni (Bayern Munich), Italy.
    Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Netherlands.
    Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg SV puis Real Madrid), Netherlands.
    Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), Netherlands.
    Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Serbia.
    David Villa (Valence CF), Spain.
    Xavi (FC Barcelone), Spain.
    Youri Zhirkov (CSKA Moscou), Russia.

Opinions? Rio Ferdinand being the only noticeable absentee, should definitely be in there ahead of Pepe, Vidic and Ramos.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

No Aiden McGeady???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Michael Ballack? Is this just a case of a token German needing to be included?
    Samuel Eto'o as well? He missed a huge chunk of last season. The same goes for Pepe, who was also very hit and miss.

Rio Ferdinand not being included was a joke. He was the best central defender last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Van der Saar? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its actually a crime that ferdinand isnt there.
    playing well for your country seems to be more important to whoever compiles these lists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

no kuyt? :eek: and drogba didn't have that good a season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pepe? olol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Are you serious? Ballack was immense for the second half of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ballack played out of his skin for Chelsea, especially in the latter stages of the League & CL.

I'm surprised at Eto'o and Van Der Saar, but each to their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They pick three deserving players from whom to choose a winner, the rest are padding based on who-knows-what.

Ballack played out of his skin for Chelsea, especially in the latter stages of the League & CL.

I'm surprised at Eto'o and Van Der Saar, but each to their own!

Well, Eto'o did break the African Nations goal scoring record, and ended up with a record of 17 goals in 19 games for Barca in the league.

Also, Van Der Saar did win the CL and a league.

Drogba and Pepe are much more questionable inclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well, Eto'o did break the African Nations goal scoring record, and ended up with a record of 17 goals in 19 games for Barca in the league.

Still, he had an injury hit season and his form was well below his own standards.
    Also, Van Der Saar did win the CL and a league.

Had Terry put away his penalty, it would be hard to justify his inclusion on this list. On his day he is a fantastic keeper, but Man Utd's impressive defensive record is much more due to their central defensive partnership than to VDS. He's erratic, has poor communication with his defense and will often flap at or parry a ball that a top-keeper would be expected to catch. He's no mug, and he is a solid keeper - but is he the best player in Europe??
    Drogba and Pepe are much more questionable inclusions.

Pepe came on a lot as the season went on, but I don't believe he'd be in the list if he wasnt playing for Madrid. Drogba has a horrible attitude, and, like Eto'o, he had an injury hit campaign and struggled for top form. Still, he did help Chelsea to within touching distance of 4 trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

No Aiden McGeady???

+1:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Archimedes wrote: »
    Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Togo.
    Sergio Agüero (Atletico Madrid), Argentine.
    Andreï Arshavin (Zénith Saint-Pétersbourg), Russia.
    Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Germany.
    Karim Benzema (Lyon), France.
    Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus Turin), Italy.
    Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Spain.
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Portugal.
    Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Ivory Coast.
    Samuel Eto'o (FC Barcelone), Cameroon.
    Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Spain.
    Fernando Torres (Liverpool FC), Spain.
    Steven Gerrard (Liverpool FC), England.
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan), Sweden.
    Kaka (Milan AC), Brazil.
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea), England.
    Lionel Messi (FC Barcelone), Argentina.
    Pepe (Real Madrid), Portugal.
    Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich), France.
    Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), England.
    Marcos Senna (Villarreal), Spain.
    Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Spain.
    Luca Toni (Bayern Munich), Italy.
    Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Netherlands.
    Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg SV puis Real Madrid), Netherlands.
    Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), Netherlands.
    Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Serbia.
    David Villa (Valence CF), Spain.
    Xavi (FC Barcelone), Spain.
    Youri Zhirkov (CSKA Moscou), Russia.

Who should actually be there by last years form imo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ferdinand not being there is an absolute utter joke. When you think that Pepe was included you see how hilarious that is. Beyond that, Evra and Clichy should both be there.

Either way, Ronaldo will win it, and if he doesn't, its a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Luca Toni shouldn't be on that list he's awful.
    I'd have put Iniesta on there.

PHB wrote: »
    Beyond that, Evra and Clichy should both be there.

Agreed, how Abidal is picked over those two I'll never be able to comprehend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Paul McShane didn't make it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hi everyone, there was this thing called a European Championship on during the summer. Some of you seem to have forgotten about it.

Also, Ballack and Arshavin are there on merit. And Luca Toni scored a lot of goals in the German league and UEFA cup last year.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Who should actually be there by last years form imo....

Casillas should DEFINITELY be there ahead of everyone you highlighted bar Ronaldo tbh. Why highlight David Villa? I'm assuming it's because of his Euro 08 form, he had one of the worst seasons of his career last year, Valencia nearly got relegated ffs! And surely if you are going to include Villa because of his Euro 08 form, Xavi should be there too, as he was player of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hi everyone, there was this thing called a European Championship on during the summer. Some of you seem to have forgotten about it.

seems so :D

ronaldo was very poor in the euros and is certainly no cert for this.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Casillas should DEFINITELY be there ahead of everyone you highlighted bar Ronaldo tbh. Why highlight David Villa? I'm assuming it's because of his Euro 08 form, he had one of the worst seasons of his career last year, Valencia nearly got relegated ffs! And surely if you are going to include Villa because of his Euro 08 form, Xavi should be there too, as he was player of the tournament.

Sorry just saw I highlighted Villa, meant to highlight Xavi, he's just under Villa... :o

Yeah maybe your right about Casillas being in there, not ahead of everyone though. Certainly not ahead of cesc, nando or senna.
    I think Senna definitely deserved that nomination although Im sure some people will disagree, he really gave spain theat anchor in midfield and villareal had a good year last year aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i agree with toni and ballack.

rio not being there is just retarded. more proof that UEFA hate england (or am i being dumb and UEFA has nothing to do with this? i think i am :/ )

Frisbee wrote: »
    Sorry just saw I highlighted Villa, meant to highlight Xavi, he's just under Villa... :o

Yeah maybe your right about Casillas being in there, not ahead of everyone though. Certainly not ahead of cesc, nando or senna.
    I think Senna definitely deserved that nomination although Im sure some people will disagree, he really gave spain theat anchor in midfield and villareal had a good year last year aswell

I loved Senna, he was as good as Xavi in Euro 08 if you ask me!

I do however think that Casillas is more deserved than everyone else on that list bar Ronaldo. He definitely was the most instrumental player in Madrid's title retention, they were the most shot at team in the league (ie - ****test defense), but rarely conceded. He is also the first ever goalkeeper-captain to win a European Championship, and did it all while only conceding 3 goals in the whole tournament!

But realistically, a goalkeeper will never win it, so it's definitely Ronaldo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres is da man, outshone by Ronaldo in the club game (just) but he got the goal that mattered in Euro 2008.

Mike

But realistically, a goalkeeper will never win it

Thats their cross to bear... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lol Torres didnt have the best of tournaments in fairness mike, but his form last season was amazing all year, he should push Ronaldo close, but Ronaldo has to win if this wants any credibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I strongly suspect that the person who should win this award is someone who is not world-renowned and who is playing in some small league in a small country somewhere in Europe. I know that I'm just being pedantic here, but I also know that I'm right. These awards only recognise the ones who are already famous. If they genuinely wanted to find the 'European Footballer of the Year', then they would have scouts observing every league in every nation in Europe for the player that plays 'above' himself most consistently.

We all know that Cristiano Ronaldo will win, despite the fact that he's a spoilt jerk who showed no respect to his current club; and merely highlighted his pathetic childlike mind over the course of the previous Summer.

Kevin (Everton 'supporter').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im fairly confident Torres will win it.

Yes Ronaldo was the best player in the world last year, without doubt and deserves to win it, but its never that straightforward with this award is it? I think the euro's will cost him. Torres wasn't actually the best at the EC's but he was still pretty class, was amazing in the first game and pretty good in the rest until scoring the winning goal. His club form has been only slightly behind Ronaldo's too so I think all things considered, Its Torres.

Kevster wrote: »
    I strongly suspect that the person who should win this award is someone who is not world-renowned and who is playing in some small league in a small country somewhere in Europe. I know that I'm just being pedantic here, but I also know that I'm right. These awards only recognise the ones who are already famous. If they genuinely wanted to find the 'European Footballer of the Year', then they would have scouts observing every league in every nation in Europe for the player that plays 'above' himself most consistently.

We all know that Cristiano Ronaldo will win, despite the fact that he's a spoilt jerk who showed no respect to his current club; and merely highlighted his pathetic childlike mind over the course of the previous Summer.

Kevin (Everton 'supporter').
    I disagree, to be the best footballer in Europe you have to be playing against the best footballers in Europe and being better then them. Its not an up-n-comers award, or an award for the best contribution relative to club size, or for being an overperformer while still not matching others of greater ability, its to honour the Best - period. Im gonna guess a final 3 or Ronaldo, Torres and Villa (or maybe Messi).

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    i agree with toni and ballack.

rio not being there is just retarded. more proof that UEFA hate england (or am i being dumb and UEFA has nothing to do with this? i think i am :/ )

It's not that Uefa hate England. They just don't love it as much as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just give it to Xavi and be done with it.

Oh, and Uefa have nothing to do with this - it's an award given by a French magazine, which in itself beggars why you take it so seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

No Iniesta is baffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why highlight David Villa? I'm assuming it's because of his Euro 08 form, he had one of the worst seasons of his career last year, Valencia nearly got relegated ffs! And surely if you are going to include Villa because of his Euro 08 form,

I'm not saying Villa should be there ahead of anyone else. But as for one of the worst seasons of his career, he was injured for a bit last season and still managed 18 goals in 27 games, which would be his second highest tally ever with a far superior ratio. Also Valencia finished 10th.

No one can win this but Ronaldo, any arguements against him winning it are non-sensical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ziggy wrote: »
    Andy Reid seems to have a poor reputation amongst the Scots. He was winning bonus points in the fantasy football last season for Sunderland at a higher rate than everyone bar Fabregas. :) A Glaswegian in my job thought Reid was still a left winger (and S.Reid a right winger - he couldn't understand why I was so pissed off on Friday with his injury). I don't know what you lads do be watching. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

"CTRL + F: John O'Shea not found"

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,132 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you'd imagine it'll either be a player from the CL winners (ie Ronaldo) or from the EC winners (probably Torres when you throw in his club form as well).

A wildcard might be Arshavin - ok he only played well for 2 games at the EC, but he's still remembered as one of the players of the tournament, and ZSP won the UEFA cup as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Where's Paul McShane?!!!!!

loyatemu wrote: »
    you'd imagine it'll either be a player from the CL winners (ie Ronaldo) or from the EC winners (probably Torres when you throw in his club form as well).

A wildcard might be Arshavin - ok he only played well for 2 games at the EC, but he's still remembered as one of the players of the tournament, and ZSP won the UEFA cup as well...

I really doubt it will be Arshavin. He managed to string two good performances together in the EC and played reasonably well in the UEFA Cup final. I really never understood what all the hype was about him.
    A 28 year old bursting onto the scene? More like he hit a patch of form and the papers thought '"Magic! Transfer Headlines sorted for the next few weeks lads!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just give it to Xavi and be done with it.

+1... It has to be Xavi if they have any sense.

Without a doubt the best player at the Euros during the summer. Always the star light at Barca, even last season when they didn't have a great league campaign he was really good. He is in excellent form so far this season. If he doesn't win it, then its a bit of a joke.

No doubt Ronaldo will get it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No doubt Ronaldo will get it though.

Do you not think he deserves it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Boggles wrote: »
    Do you not think he deserves it?

As I said, I think Xavi is more deserving of it... Ronaldo did have a very good season last season for Man Utd, but he didn't really set the world alight at the Euros... Fair enough he is only back a few games so far this season, but I think over the calendar year, Xavi deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Top Goalscorer in the EPL

Top goalscorer in the CL

Won the EPL

Won the CL

Ronaldo is Europe's player of the year.

No question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd give it to Skrtel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'd give it to Skrtel.

I'm surprised you didn't say Fernando "I couldn't buy an away goal in the league last season" Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des wrote: »
    Top Goalscorer in the EPL

Top goalscorer in the CL

Won the EPL

Won the CL

Ronaldo is Europe's player of the year.

No question.

The people giving out this award may not watch the EPL regularly. It's possible that they may have only watched Ronaldo in full during his last three games in the CL and his games in the European championships.

If that is the case, he won't win the award.

Des wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't say Fernando "I couldn't buy an away goal in the league last season" Torres.

I'm supirsed you didnt start preaching the injustice of some Eircom League hoofer not getting a nomination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm supirsed you didnt start preaching the injustice of some Eircom League hoofer not getting a nomination!

And I'm surprised that you can't spell 'surprised'.

resorting to slagging bad spelling Xavi? i had you down as being better than that. tut tut.

in all seriousness-Ronaldo has to win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement