Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'or Nomineees

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm supirsed you didnt start preaching the injustice of some Eircom League hoofer not getting a nomination!

Well, no.

There's no-one playing in the League Of Ireland (stop calling it the E****m League, them **** fúcked off from sponsoring it, stop giving them free advertising)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The people giving out this award may not watch the EPL regularly. It's possible that they may have only watched Ronaldo in full during his last three games in the CL and his games in the European championships.

If that is the case, he won't win the award.

WTF???

So it is based on the last few games in the CL and the Euros? How do they give the award out when the Euros isn't on, How did Kaka win it?

They should give it to the guy who basically got a goal a game in every club competition he played in. To suggest some other player is more worthy of the award is farcical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Boggles wrote: »
    WTF???

So it is based on the last few games in the CL and the Euros? How do they give the award out when the Euros isn't on, How did Kaka win it?

They should give it to the guy who basically got a goal a game in every club competition he played in. To suggest some other player is more worthy of the award is farcical!

Calm down, lol.

You need to understand that there are many European journalists and decision makers who watch a lot less football that we do. The European Championships and the end stages of the Champions league are really the only high profile games that you can be sure EVERYONE watched during 2008. And Ronaldo was meh in most of those games.

Yes, we may watch the Spanish league, the Italian league and a roundup of the French, German, Dutch and Portuguese between Setanta and Eurogoals. But many European fans and journalists don't watch the premiership cause they don't like it. As such, I'm warning you that there may be people voting in this award who:

- only saw a few games of Ronaldo when he was not playing his best;
    - don't bother with stats and vote on the anecdotal basis of who they felt was the best they saw over a number of games;

In American sports, stats is gospel and Ronaldo would be the only possible winner. It's different with soccer - don't say I didn't warn ya is all.

Blah, He got second last year, I'd put the farm on him winning it this year. Whatever about these uneducated sports journalists you refer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    He just said Reid isn't rated in Scotland. He isn't. One of the best passers ever born in this country and he isn't rated as such in Scotland imo. Anyway... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I think it has got to the stage where if Andy Reid isn't brought up in every football thread whatever the topic there is something wrong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Conor Sammon FTW tbh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'd give it to Skrtel.

I bet you would, but who do you think should win the Ballon D'or?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ronaldo will win it. Casillas deserves an award, he was outstanding as usual for both club and country. Personally I'd give it to Wayne Rooney, I think he was the best player for United last season. Ronaldo got all the goals but I still think Rooney was the best player.

And LMFAO at all those Rio fans, Vidic and Evra made the United defence world class and Rio is only third best in that defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I reckon the top 3 will be picked from Ronaldo, Torres, Xavi and Messi. Regardless of whether it's deserved for any of them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kaka won it last year mainly for his CL performances. Cannavaro won it the previous year mainly for his world cup. Performances at the Euros will be the biggest factor so I'll go with Xavi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ronaldo speaks
    Sincerely, yes I'm confident," the Portugal winger and favourite to win the honour said in an interview in Friday's La Gazzetta dello Sport.
    "If you assess what I did over the course of the season, I think I did more than everyone. What else should I have done to win the Ballon d'Or and the FIFA award."

Torres says
    When I have watched the Ballon d'Or presentation on television I saw the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka.

"I told myself that trophy was for players from another galaxy. Now I am among the candidates, and I cannot believe it.

"Winning the award would be like climbing to the top of Everest and touching the sky."

Why we love 'nando :)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mike65 wrote: »
    Ronaldo speaks

Torres says

Why we love 'nando :)

Mike

Yeah, good thing for the Man U fans it's not awarded for personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jaysis, as much as he is probably right, that boy could do with a few lessons in humility. He seems like a pretty classless fcuker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he seems to have very little class or humility alright.

my bro showed me a vid a little while ago when at some launch thing him and a few other Utd players were asked who the greatest player of all time was, names like Zidane & Maradona were mentioned, they got to Ronaldo, and without even a grin or hint of humour, he answered that he was the greatest player of all time.

Awesome quotage Mike! The term "twat" comes to mind.

in fairness, he's right. He was the best player in the world last year and i don't see what else he could have done, apart from performing beter at the Euros.

But i think that the 38 PL games and 13 CL games should really outweigh 4 EC games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

in fairness, he's right. He was the best player in the world last year and i don't see what else he could have done, apart from performing beter at the Euros.

But i think that the 38 PL games and 13 CL games should really outweigh 4 EC games

I don't think many would disagree with that. But there is such a thing called being gracious and humble. I'm sure Bill Gates doesn't head to the ghetto in his Bentley shouting out 'Check out my rims bitches!!

It's called class. Some people just don't have it. They may be "class" and yet have none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It's called class. Some people just don't have it. They may be "class" and yet have none.
    qft

Don't get me wrong he can be an arrogant gimp at times but one of my pet hates is when people who are actually good at something pretend that they are rubbish.

For example one of my mates is really good at guitar, but he wont accept any compliments whatsoever. I just think that if you are good at something (especially if you are the best in the world) you should acknowledge it yourself

Don't get me wrong he can be an arrogant gimp at times but one of my pet hates is when people who are actually good at something pretend that they are rubbish.

For example one of my mates is really good at guitar, but he wont accept any compliments whatsoever. I just think that if you are good at something (especially if you are the best in the world) you should acknowledge it yourself

"I'm honored to be nominated for such a prestigious award and to be on a list with the best players currently playing in the game. Obviously, I was very happy with my personal contribution over the course of last season and feel that I had a big impact on my team's success. In my opinion, the award would be a just reward for all of the hard work that went into the good personal performances I put in which helped produce the great results we ultimately achieved on the pitch as a team - and I hope to be able to celebrate it with my manager, teammates and, of course, the fans."

Nothing wrong with self confidence and belief in one's abilities. You can even tell everyone about how good you are. There are ways to do things though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Never thought I'd be defending CR7.

BUT! 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' is an Italian paper, so there may well be something lost in translation. Also depending on how great/poor Ronaldo's spoken Italian is he may not have actually said these things, they may just have been Yes/No responses to questions he only 80% understood.

e.g.
    ----
    LGDS Reporter : Do you believe you would be a deserving winner of these awards?
    CR : Yes.
    LGDS Reporter : Ronaldo, by winning both the League and European Cup with a bellisimo goal scoring record have you done more than the other contenders, si ?.
    LGDS Reporter : Do you think you could have done more to win these awards?
    CR : No.
    ----

Which would be a less twattish interview, yet the way its reported in LGDS would still be largely accurate.

Whatever was said I very much doubt it was exactly word for word as its being reported.

I feel dirty now for defending him.

Never thought I'd be defending CR7.

BUT! 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' is an Italian paper, so there may well be something lost in translation. Also depending on how great/poor Ronaldo's spoken Italian is he may not have actually said these things, they may just have been Yes/No responses to questions he only 80% understood.

e.g.
    ----
    LGDS Reporter : Do you believe you would be a deserving winner of these awards?
    LGDS Reporter : Ronaldo, by winning both the League and European Cup with a bellisimo goal scoring record have you done more than the other contenders, si ?.
    LGDS Reporter : Do you think you could have done more to win these awards?
    CR : No.
    ----

Which would be a less twattish interview, yet the way its reported in LGDS would still be largely accurate.

Whatever was said I very much doubt it was exactly word for word as its being reported.

I feel dirty now for defending him.

As might be said of any English paper given he's Portoguese. Pissing in the wind, or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

nipplenuts wrote: »
    As might be said of any English paper given he's Portoguese. Pissing in the wind, or what?

Nah, not really, cause I've seen first hand the way the English newspapers take 'Yes/No' interviews from aftermatch press conferences, and translate them into 'ABC launched a scathing attack on XYZ' stories, so I've no reason to doubt that Gazetta probably does the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Would love to see Maxy Cream get it!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What odds on Ronaldo winning it, going up to collect the award, knocking the presenter over and tearing off his shirt to reveal a massive snake tattoo covering his chest, flexing his muscles and screaming "Yeah Mutherfuckers! Bow to me! Bow to the fucking Vipurrrr Baby! Woooooooo!"

is this another Ronaldo, not arrogant, just "lost in translation"

similar to the Ronaldo actually doesnt wanna leave Utd thing?

think we had enough of them in the summer tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

eagle eye wrote: »
    And LMFAO at all those Rio fans, Vidic and Evra made the United defence world class and Rio is only third best in that defence.

I don't say this often, but its clear you dont understand football. Rio seems like a horrid person, but as a footballer last year, he was unreal. By some distance the best defender in the world

• Advertisement

EagleEye; when i agree with PHB, you know you are seriously wrong :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

PHB wrote: »
    I don't say this often, but its clear you dont understand football. Rio seems like a horrid person, but as a footballer last year, he was unreal. By some distance the best defender in the world

No that is incorrect - you can say he is up there maybe but jeez he's not a patch on carvalho for one.

Advertisement