Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Foil Insulation SF40

• 19-10-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

HI All . Has anybody used or heard of this product SF40 Superfoil. I got a sample of the stuff and it seams to be pretty hot stuff.

60 mm thick
    36 layers in total including loft quilt , thermo foam seperation layers , aluminuim mylar coated reflective foil layers and polypropylene reinforced heavy outer laminated foil.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

Hi,
    I've used SF19, it should do what is says on the tin, but it's very important that its installed properly, otherwise you could be wasting your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

Thank you . I dont know if I should use it instead of fibreglass/Rockwool to put down on my crawling space and also insted of putting kingspan/Quin between rafters to just hang/staple it agross the rafters . Advise please . How and for what did you use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Don't want to sound negative but these foil type insulations, have made insulating claims that are disputed.

I don't doubt that they are good at insulating but whether they are as good as fibre glass etc is disputed. The foil seems to be very effective at radiating heat back, once an air gap is used.

Does SF40 Superfoil have an IAB Certificate?
    Check out threads on the Construction & Planning forum.

I havent come across any named cirtification all they say is 3.564certified conventional R value and tested to international standards .

I do take all the advise on board thank you . Thank you

But the thicknesss with all these layers of foil makes you think as it not as thin as some of the stuff I have seen on the market . The 60mm is quite thick compared to most other products of 20,25 and 30 mm. BUt as all of this is not a cheap , I want to do more research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

It does'nt work in the same way as fiberglass, it reflects light and therefore heat and needs an air gap of 25mm each side, but any gaps may act like a hole in a leaky boat. Fiberglass/rockwool stop heat transfare by trapping air in many tiny parts just like your duvet. Its also not that simple to calculate its U-value. Personally I think it's great stuff, installed correctly. You would'nt simply roll it out over your joists or between them.

• Advertisement

Baldieman. You are a wise man. I also like the concept of th SF 40 and is looking for a good excuse to use it my self . When you say not use between or just lay it on the rafter. when one cuts the rockwooll and stuff it in between and just placing it on top like a flat mat. The way that I was thinking of using it on my crawl space which forms my ceiling of my main bedroom so if I stand on a chair in the bedroom and touch above me but on the otherside in the atic.

I was thinking of not just placing it but bending it between steping it up and down as a solid peice due to flexibility and stapeling it so that it traps all heat and refex back. There is a smal thin layer of glasfiber rock wool from when the house was build 14 years ago . I will leave it down and put the foil over it . So try to super insulate .

And then between the rafter that form the frame of the roof that the felt is on and tiles stuff that with quinn boards or maybe even the same with the foil .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

para45 wrote: »

And then between the rafter that form the frame of the roof that the felt is on and tiles stuff that with quinn boards or maybe even the same with the foil .

have a look at Kingspan Rafterlock . tis great stuff and fits tightly between rafters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Treeplanter

Does anyone know where I can but SuperFOIL SF40 in Ireland? I'm living in the Cork area. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Does anyone know where I can but SuperFOIL SF40 in Ireland? I'm living in the Cork area. Thanks
    does this stuff have a BBA or IAB cert??? don't used unless it does!

Tree Planter . I cant remember it was a long time since i was enquiring about this product > There is a crowd that does them in Dublin . Best to contact the manufacturer and they will tel you . I ended up not using the product > Goodluck:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement