Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new bike.

Options
  • 19-10-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

What i want is something mostly for commuting, but as well as that, i'd liek to be able to use it for some dirt jumping and the such, nothing to heavy, just a bit of fun.
    My price range can go as far as €500 i think, but i'd be more realisticly saying about €350-€450 for a quike buy.

Advice on a god bike to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Cian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Looks like a lovely bike, could pick on up in about 4 weeks, unless anyone knows of any other bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Combining commuting and MTB'ing can be difficult as you'll lose performance in both if you try to get a compromise.

Is the MTB element absolutely necessary?

If its only for occasion use as a MTB maybe two bikes might be the answer; a cheap racer (my personal preference) or hybrid (if you prefer flat bars) would serve you very well for commuting. And a cheap MTB could be bought later for the off-road stuff. Pushing a heavy MTB with knobbly tires around Dublin commuting is a pain in the ass when you realise how easy the racers/hybrids are.

Its not major commuting, just Tallaght to Terenure.

I had a good chat with one of the guys in my LBS, and because i want to try my hand ata little trials (use to ride bmx) i have decided on a Giant Brass 2 09. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/mountain/2443/32502/

If i could make the same commute on my old heavey lump of bmx i'm sure the brass 2 will be grand for that.

Should be going down tomorrow to get them to order it in.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

has anyone mentioned maybe waiting to january and see will your job order it via cycle to work scheme? could save you a fair bit of cash if you can wait.

• Advertisement

I'm in 6th year. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'm in 6th year. ;)

maybe one of the folks could use the scheme for you?

Advertisement