Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info needed for course

• 19-10-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I am a leaving cert student this year .I am interested in doing the Biological sciences with physics or chemistry course after the leaving cert.
    I am currently doing biology and physics but I am not doing chemistry. Hopefully you could answer some of these questions I have.
    What level is the subjects studied at for the first two years? Would a student like myself who doesn't do chemistry find chemistry quite hard for two years? Is it done at honours leaving cert standard for the first two years or just junior cert? Would I be right in saying that after completing this degree, you would be able to teach biology,ag science and the chosen subject between either physics or chemistry?

tanx in advance:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ted Bundy wrote: »
    I am a leaving cert student this year .I am interested in doing the Biological sciences with physics or chemistry course after the leaving cert.
    I am currently doing biology and physics but I am not doing chemistry. Hopefully you could answer some of these questions I have.
    What level is the subjects studied at for the first two years? Would a student like myself who doesn't do chemistry find chemistry quite hard for two years? Is it done at honours leaving cert standard for the first two years or just junior cert? Would I be right in saying that after completing this degree, you would be able to teach biology,ag science and the chosen subject between either physics or chemistry?

tanx in advance:D

You could probably find out who the course director is from the prospectus or from the course webpage on www.ul.ie, drop them an email and they will probably be able to answer your questions regarding the course itself.

As for the teaching part of things, I was under the impression that along with your primary degree you also need a H. Dip. in education/teaching before you're qualified to teach at secondary level. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else will probably have a better idea than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why not just do the B.Ed in ul as opposed to a degree that has tro be topped up to allow you to teach. If I could go back, I think I'd really enjoy teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ninty9er wrote: »
    Why not just do the B.Ed in ul as opposed to a degree that has tro be topped up to allow you to teach. If I could go back, I think I'd really enjoy teaching.

Ha, but think of the children.

OP, there's a degree in Science Education which caters for quite a bit of what you're looking at there and would mean you'd be qualified as a teacher within the four years and not have to do an additional year in a H.Dip. Not sure of subject choices, but you can def find that out in the prospectus.

With regard to the level of difficulty in Chemistry, I can't really say, but I'd be confident in imagining that it'd certainly be LC level in first year and building on that throughout...this isn't third level for nuthin'! Again, as rmacm suggested, email the course director for more info.

Good luck with the year ahead and hope everything works out for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ted Bundy

Well that course that im lookin at defo allows ya to teach after the four years. The exact name for the course is "B.Sc.(education)-biological sciences with physics or chem". I wouldnt bother with it unless i could teach after it.Also, I did email the course director like 3 weeks ago, still no reply!!:confused:
    tanks for replyin btw:D

Advertisement