Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths - Is 8 subjects necessary?

Options
  • 19-10-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently have 8 subjects. 6 are at Higher Level and the other 2 are at Ordinary Level - Maths and Applied Maths. I'm thinking of dropping Applied Maths because I don't think there will be any point in doing it:

1. Having 7 subjects (with the best 6 used to calculate points) is enough backup.
    2. It is at Ordinary Level.
    3. The class for it takes place only once a week in the place of a normal Maths class.
    4. Work is done with sheets; there is no proper book that teaches you.
    5. The other Ordinary Level Maths class (which doesn't do Applied Maths) has a better teacher.

Opinions?
    Tagged:

Comments

If I was in your position, I'd definitely drop it. There really isn't much point in keeping it up if you're only doing it in ordinary level. Just devote the time that you give it to other subjects, that's what I'd do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 !TreeHugger!

Well I did Applied Maths at the start of 4th yr(we don't have proper TY) for around 3 weeks,and then I realised I didn't need it,and that it would take up too much time.
    If you don't think you need it,you should give it up,and that way you will have more time for study also!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Do you like applied maths though? I knew I wouldn't be counting it for points but did it because I liked it...admittedly I wasn't missing anything else to do it. But if you enjoy it, that is something to consider maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Look at education as a way to better yourself as opposed to being about a few exams
    /idealism

Applied maths is a way to get top points without too much work if you're predisposed to the sort of thinking it entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I would drop it. Especially if you are getting better grades at regular maths. However, if you are doing considerably better at applied maths than regular naths then i would keep it up. Apparently its a really easy exam to predict.

Also take into account the times of exams. Applied Maths is always last. So are you the kinda person that would do nothing in those days off, or will you actually study? Because depending on your subjects you could have up to a week off, before your Applied Maths Exam, which could prove to be a huge benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

technically I'm doing nine subjects: english irish maths french physics biology TD LCVP and music

I like to have a feeling of security
    first off coz LCVP is easy and it will help if I really mess up in one subject on the day
    and I do music outsida school already so theres no point in me not doing it :)

Advertisement