Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats & Apartments

Options
  • 19-10-2008 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi everyone,

I live in a ground floor apt block. I'm thinking of getting a kitten! Not sure what to do though. I live at the back of the apt complex so there's a grassy area around. As regards work I leave the apt at 8am and am back no later than 6pm Mon - Fri. Do you think it's ok to get a kitten and have it inside most of the day and if so, it is ok just to get one kitten?! I'd love a pet but not sure if it's ok to keep it indoors most of the time and on it's own during the day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

If you are looking for a kitten I would strongly recommend that you get 2 - I know it may sound funny but 2 kittens are actually easier then 1. They will keep each other company while you are out and stop a single cat getting lonely.

Kittens are great fun and there is no reason why they can't be indoor only - I have 5 indoor only cats and they all do great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Badkitty

Maybe you should consider an older cat. Kittens can be a huge amount of work. I'd advise you to keep the cat as an indoor cat only.

My flat mate just adopted a beautiful 1 year old cat from the DSPCA which is in Rathfarnam. We live in an apartment and although our cat had spent most of its life outdoors she has adapted very quickly and is very happy. They have lots of gorgeous cats looking for homes. If you get a young kitten its not really fair leaving it at home for 10 hours a day as a kitten will require more attention, an older cat will be happy to chill on its own during the day once they have some toys.

Call into the DSPCA on a Sunday, they have a lovely cattery and great staff to help you out.
    Maybe have a chat with their staff and get their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd also recommend getting two cats/kittens, I imagine one cat could get bored and lonely during the day but if there was two they could play if they wanted to.

as long as you made sure they had fresh litter, water and food in the morning I'd say they'd be fine. Cat's don't really mind being left alone as much as dogs do.

You could also get some things to keep them amused such as a cat tree/climbing thing and plenty of toys and make a window box full of catnip as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Rebel_City

Hey thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated.

I was just chatting to a vet on the phone. An indoor cat/kitten seems to be no problem, like ye said - as long as there's fresh food etc and toys. I was chatting to my housemate and one cat or kitten is all we're going to get. We will head to the DSPCA next week and chat to the staff. If I see an ad for kittens etc I'll look into that too. Looking forward to giving nice home to deserving pet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

There is a thread around here called "Cool cheap things to make for your cat" or something - some good ideas there.

Make sure you have loads of toys, and hide treats around the apartment. Also make sure there is a comfy bed beside a window, cats love to look outside!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

I had a cat living in a duplex apartment for two years we were three floors up and she was fine i know it is better to have two cats but i more than make up for it by spoiling her rotten with attention as soon as i get home from work. As long as you spend at least twenty minutes playing with it each evening as excersice it will be fine they sleep most of the day anyway when your at work. They love the little glitter soft balls you get for arts and crafts they are so funny to watch running around with this glitter ball in their mouth like a dog. I never saw cats do it till i got sage she also has a small cat teddy she carries around in her mouth and brings to bed with her and grooms it. Now she is an enclosure outside in our back garden as we moved. She took a while to get used to it she's only in it when i'm at work but she won't walk on pebbles!! Weird! she also got a sister three weeks ago. It will take more than three weeks for them to get on and be pals but unfortunately that is the downside as lone indoor cats don't have interaction with other cats unless there in a cattery now and again. but it's not the end of the world cats are adaptable and she will come around to the new arrival soon it's just something to think about unless your going to be in the same place forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Some cats, it would appear, don't actually like other cats all that much. Our cat is like that - she's fantastically friendly with people but can't stand other cats so she couldn't go to a home with other cats.
    If it's only the one cat you're looking for, maybe you could enquire about cats that need to be rehomed on their own - not as a "design feature" (:)) but I'm sure that cats like that are harder to rehome and you'd probably be doing the centre a favour.

Advertisement