Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What big game is going to be a let down this season?

Options
  • 19-10-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

There are a ridiculous amount of games coming out between now and Xmas. What do people reckong the most disappointing one will be?

My money is on COD5 but I've a feeling posters will opt for Fall Out 3....;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I would also wager Fallout 3. Which is annoying because it is the game I have been most looking forward to since 1998.

EDIT: I don't know many games that have received so much praise at E3 events and not delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 are the ones that I really, really hope aren't disappointments, but I can't help but have a nagging feeling about them. Time will tell, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Far Cry 2 is safe I think, Fable 2 will be a let down like the first one was. Fallout 3 looks like a rush job to me and will be filled with glitches, I challange it to prove me wrong. CoD 5 will be aswell, I'm not expecting anything great from it because I know who's making it, most people just hear CoD and the hype begins. Infanity Ward are the true makers of the CoD games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

+1 on the COD5. Really can't see it being as good as 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Mirrors Edge for me. Looks like a one trick pony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

im praying fallout 3 won't be a let down. it sounds like it will be brilliant. Bethesda have modeled it on the elder scrolls games so it should, in theory, be good.

iv a feeling COD5 or Fable 2 will be a let down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I have my money on fallout too

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Golden Axe: Beast Rider
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=261980
    3/10

not sure was it going to be a big game but i loved the original

so im disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

COD5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm not sure COD5 really counts, it's not the "true" sequel to COD4 so I'd say expectations on it are relatively low, and it shouldn't have trouble living up to them.

Fallout 3 is the most likely one it must be said. They really haven't shown enough of the game to get a good handle on it right now. That said, it's got a lot of potential. Even though I know a lot of people's worse fear is "Oblivion with guns" - Oblivion was a very good game with just a few flaws that I'm sure they'll have fixed, and putting it in a Fallout setting would make for a very good game I teckon.

Mirror's Edge is another one I'm unsure of. I was really enthusiastic about it back when it was first announced, but once they started doing live gameplay demos that were less expertly choreographed, it stopped looking quite so slick. Will have to see how it handles.

Fable 2 could be another letdown. Considering Lionhead have a 100% perfect streak of disappointing games since the company was formed pretty much, yet they just keep hyping them up. Nothing I've seen makes it look much better than Fable 1 to me, and that was fairly average I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LittleBig Planet, only 9/10 on eurogamer, what a crap game!!!1!1!1111one!!!11!eleventyone1111!!!

I'm not so sure Mirrors Edge is going to be that great. I think it will get confusing trying to work out where exactly you go and the blistering pace of the videos will really be a crawl.

I'm also not impressed with Resistance 2. Looks like a prettier version of the first game with no feedback from the weapons that feel weedy instead of meaty. Multiplayer was also useless in the first game. Hopfully I'm surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

steviec wrote: »
    I'm not sure COD5 really counts, it's not the "true" sequel to COD4 so I'd say expectations on it are relatively low, and it shouldn't have trouble living up to them.

Sorry........what? COD4 wasn't a sequel either but it was a great game. It's part of a brand that has disappointed whenever the development is given to anyone but infinity ward so why fùck with something that has a midas touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I say COD5 will get panned by the critics but it will sell well and will have a strong following.

Fallout 3 will get praise from critics and most gamers who are oblivion fans or never got into the original fallout games, but the fans of the series will pan it.

Fable 2 wont have much to worry about, its going up against the negative aspect of the original and as long as its just better then fable 1 then there wont be any big let down. (besides I really liked the 10 minute clip shown on kotaku)

Mirrors Edge is really the only unknown element.

I say Littlebigplanet will have a minor backlash by those ps3 owners who dont take their ps3 online and embrace the co-op element of it.

Far Cry 2 will only prob get the usual pc game dumbed down for consoles minor hiccup, but aside from that it looks fantastic and shouldnt disapoint.

Red Alert 3 will not disapoint except for those that are hardcore competative rts players and they already were part of the beta so I say they would have made up their minds already. I was part of the beta and I am pretty psyched to getting back into it when its out at the end of the month.

On a personal level:

I never got into the original fallout games much so I say I'll like Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and Fable 2, Mirrors Edge depends if the story and length back up the gamestyle, Red Alert 3 is already a shoe in for me and Littlebigplanet what little I tasted of it I really enjoyed. But my ps3 friendlist has only 1 person on it so I'm not sure if it will have the staying power I desire.

COD5 is being done by those who did COD3, and I hated COD3, not to mention setting a single player ww2 game anywhere near the pacific hasnt proven to have the same OOMPH as the traditional western europe campaigns, thankfully it took a leaf from battlefield 1942 and is spreading it across all the theatres of war. Still though, I dont expect much from cod5 (not to mention war dogs sounds like a really stupid replacement for the cod4 helicopter.)
    I'm also not impressed with Resistance 2

Oh ye gods thanks for reminding me, Resistance 2 is one that is really low on my list, found the first one boring.

Gears of War 2 should be enjoyable. I dont expect anything fantastic, just the same quality as Gears 1 just more of it this time (and with less of a broken storyline).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Golden Axe: Beast Rider
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=261980
    3/10

not sure was it going to be a big game but i loved the original

so im disappointed

I was looking forward to that one as well, had a feeling it might be bad, but not that bad!!!
    Ah well, at least that means one less game to buy/find time to play.

CoD5 is an obvious one, Treyarch are going to do another CoD3 on it methinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I am more convinced every day that Fallout 3 is unlikely to be good. Oblivion, while undeniably pretty, lacked a decent main story (in truth it sucked balls) and any kind of soul or immersion, leaving me not giving a damn what was over the next hill because it was all the bloody same, wherever you went, except for when you went through the portals, which was a different kind of generic sameyness.

Now, "Morrowind with guns" is something I'd get excited about. If they turned the combat into something like Dark Messiah, I'd buy 3 on the spot.

But Fallout 3 has not impressed me so far. The combat sounds like it's drenched in gore for the hell of it, whereas Fallout's gore always felt to me like it was saying "Look kids, violence is pretty f*cking horrible". There are limitations to Oblivion I never liked, like the size of cities, the way they were seperate map areas instead of Morrowind's seamless integration with the rest of the world, and the god-awful face modelling technology. I don't think it will capture anything near the feel of the Fallout series.

Perhaps a team of die hards will make a massive mod for STALKER. I can hope, I suppose.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned duke nukem forever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The question was what game would be disappointing THIS year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Stop calling it COD 5, there's no number 5 anywhere in its promotion, 5 will be when Infinity Ward come back!

Anyways, Fable 2 looks safe and Far Cry 2 also. Dead Space is also a surprising success whilst Gears looks like it cant possibly be bad. Which makes me think that Fallout 3 and COD will be the disappointments. Mirrors Edge could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Krieg wrote: »
    I have my money on fallout too

No, it's Fallout 3 that's coming out. Fallout 2 was out years ago. Ba-dum-tish! Thanks folks, I'm hear all week. Try the veal.
    Stop calling it COD 5, there's no number 5 anywhere in its promotion, 5 will be when Infinity Ward come back!

Won't that make it COD 3 then? :pac:

I'm thinking COD 5 will actually be a pleasant surprise, because everyone seems to have low expectations of the game, so all it really has to do is be slightly playable. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I think Lionhead Studios exaggerated Fable, I remember hearing lots of rumours floating around about the game before it was released, And i think they have stuck to their facts this time about Fable II, But have promoted the game as 'bigger and better'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Well i've very low expectations of Call of Duty and Fallout3. One because i've never liked the Call of duty series and oh-jesus-not-WW2-again. And fallout because, well, i don't know what gameplay trailers other people have been looking at, the ones i saw were horrid.

The one i think will be a disapointment to most people will be fable II.

I know i'll probably love it, i liked the original, but the rest of you *narrows eyes*.

It's gonna be spore all over again.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Fallout 3 has to take the award, hands down. CoD5 might come in close, but let's face it, since we knew that Treyarch were developing, peoples expectations took a nose dive given their pedigree with CoD games. Expectation can only go up I think with CoD5.

Fallout 3 though comes with a HUGE amount of baggage and fanboys, waiting to chew the game to bits. I doubt there's many games that come close with the same level of gaming history, rabid fandom & gaming pedigree in general. The more I see of the game, the more I feel utterly "meh" about the whole affair. There's no way the game can win the hearts and minds of hardcore gamers, which would include journos, so I predict a huge public letdown

On the other hand, games like Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Far Cry 2 (it's not really a sequel as such) have no baggage to worry about & can live or die by their own hand.

Oh and yeah, I know Red Alert 3's gonna rock, having played the Beta & watched the videos of awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Far Cry 2, definitely... the hype for it already is unreasonable, plus it has big shoes to fill. I'd love them to pull it off, but so far from trailers of it, it looks just like a first person version of GTA set in Africa.

Also, Prince of Persia, I want it to be amazing, but again, it has big shoes to fill. If they cheese it up or pander to the casual gamer too much it will flop. I really hope they haven't created a game that does the work for you or holds you by the hand (in some areas it seems literally) while playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_cry_2#Reception

Reviews are good so far for far cry 2.

not as high for fallout 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_3#Reception

But reviews dont count for fallout 3, its really up to if it appeals to the series fans or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I never played the first two Fallout games and am still looking forward to this one. However, I don't think you can trust Official Xbox magazine.

But those links you posted show 10/10 and 90% for fallout? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad to hear RA3 will be a hoot, I was a little letdown by C&C:Tiberium wars. We used to have some class LAN games in college of RA2.

Prism tanks and rocketmen away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone getting Red Alert 3 for the Xbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think all of this Call of Duty 5 'Treyarch-low expectation-rubbish-developer- nonsense is really turning into a mythical bandwagon.

Take a look at Meta-Critic, what's this....
    Critics: Average 82 out of 100

Does that suggest a relatively good game or a degenerate stinker cash-in as pretty much everyone on boards seems to propagate?

From the pictures being painted here you'd swear it was horrendous beyond belief. Treyarch make a fine COD game. Their Xbox version of COD2 and COD3 where the best FPS games on the original 'box....Call of Duty 3 on the 360 had brilliant multi-player and graphics that were far superior to COD2.....yeah the single player was hardly the best but come on lads how many of us here bought COD4 for the incredibly short SP campaign? Not many, and it didn't stop us from considering it one of the best FPS titles in the last few years. Treyarch had less then a year to make COD3, I doubt many could point out any other developer who managed to churn out an A grade title in that timeframe - not that it was Treyarchs fault, they were under immense pressure to get the game out. They have double that development window for COD: WAW so I'm fully expecting a title that'll pass out COD4 in terms of SP and rival it in MP. They've proven themselves a good developer in the past and now that they've got the development time they actually need their potential will be better reached.

I'm not saying everyone should like COD3 or think it's as good as COD4 but this 'Everyone expects COD5 to be bad because its the crappy Treyarch after all' line is total rubbish - when it's clearly not remotely as bad as is made out, pretty much every review of the game on any of the platforms were strongly positive (Wii, 360,ps3, xbox, ps2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i wouldnt worry too much about Fable 2. A poster on another forum im on is reviewing it and his impressions have been extremely, extremely positive so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

got dead space today lads

really cool game so far

worth a look at

Advertisement