Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus + PC Angel Nightmare Help??

Options
  • 19-10-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have a friends computer which she crashed with a Trojan and Windows is booting and comes to the load screen before crashing and restarting in an endless cycle. I have her data saved off the HD as I put it into an external case and transferred it to my own and burned it to a DVD for her. While I had the infected HD connected I scanned it and found it to be swamped with Spyware and viruses as I scanned it with both AVG and Spybot and both plucked out a lot of beasties. However it still does not boot so I think it better to reinstall windows.

It is a desktop she picked up in Tesco a good while ago and I am having real difficulty with it as it lacks recovery disks.

The issue I am having is there is a partition where XP and the drivers etc is backed up but PC Angel Recovery software is stopping me from accessing it, I have checked everywhere online and the PC Angel website is a total disaster. I am guessing that I need PC Angel software to access the backup and thus either boot from the partition or burn the recovery disks to format and restore.

I tried using my own XP Proffesional disk to do a repair rather than having to reformat and reinstall windows, however her XP is Windows Media Centre edition and I am on Proffessional, I can't repair as it keeps asking me for an Administrator password which neither of us know it.

I have done everything I know and I am stopped in my tracks because of the lack of disks, I have her XP Key which is on the case but I need the actual recovery disks also as I have no drivers or anything to reconfigure afterwards.

Is it possible to download the actual XP media centre edition and use her key to unlock it or would this constitute piracy? I want to do everything legit for her.

I will post up a hijack this log tomorrow as I gave it to another friend of mine who is slightly more tech savvy than me but he is reporting issues with PC Angel also?

Anyone have any ideas? HELP???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Iqon pc = disaster.:(

There should be an option on screen when you boot to press a function key (F1 - F12) to enter the PC Angel recovery mode. It should then re-image the drive back to factory condition. The PC Angel software is stored on the hidden partition along with the factory image so you don't need any other PC Angel discs.

Btw, when you attempted repair and it asked for the administrator password, did you try leaving it blank and just hitting the 'enter' key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Iqon pc = disaster.:(

There should be an option on screen when you boot to press a function key (F1 - F12) to enter the PC Angel recovery mode. It should then re-image the drive back to factory condition. The PC Angel software is stored on the hidden partition along with the factory image so you don't need any other PC Angel discs.

Btw, when you attempted repair and it asked for the administrator password, did you try leaving it blank and just hitting the 'enter' key?

Yes, I tried loads of passwords including "default" "admin" "0000" plus her username etc! I also left it blank and pressed enter also, you get three attempts before having to restart and do it again! I'll try your advice when I get the PC back from my friend in the morning! iQon = Nigtmare indeed, they are gone bankrupt now so these incidents will be getting less frequent. Tesco for Computers.... pffftt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ClaudiusDrusus

When was the pc purchased? If whithin one year it is till covered by warranty through Techgenie. Do you want a recovery disk for the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

As kaizersoze suggested I eventually was able to boot to the recovery partition using F10 and I restored from the partition afterwards. I was also able to burn my own Recovery DVD after reinstalling Windows.

Firewall off and no Anti Virus installed plus click happy teens led to the disaster but no data was lost and it was a wonder the PC lasted the 4 weeks after they got Broadband in.

Thanks for the help lads! :):)

Advertisement