Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

howto split a cable, help required.

Options
  • 19-10-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Hola, there is a cable running to a two way socket in a building I use. I wish to somehow split this cable along its route into the building and use a runoff from it to power a standard light in an loft above it. How would one go about this?

Is there a coupler one could use to split the cable?It is from a 3 phase power supply...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hola, there is a cable running to a two way socket in a building I use. I wish to somehow split this cable along its route into the building and use a runoff from it to power a standard light in an loft above it. How would one go about this?

Is there a coupler one could use to split the cable?It is from a 3 phase power supply...

Is there no lighting circuits close? Using one of these would be best option.

I'm guessing it some sort of workshop/shed... You could use a "fused-spur" outlet to feed the lights off the socket circuit, this should only be used as a last resort as its not the preferred way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It is in a workshop, I was thinking it over and as the light would only be needed now and again could one split the cable and run another plug/socket off it and merely use a normal lamp when required.

It would then be both sockets running back along the circuit.

There are unfortunatly no lighting circuits within easy distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CaseyElectrical

It may be from a 3ph supply but this won't matter to you as regards what you need to do..
    As DublinDilbert said its not correct to wire a light off a socket circuit,If you just wire another socket and plug in a lamp that will be fine though
    First off you need to isolate the supply at the fuse box,Then all you have to do is cut the cable,and join them back together in a jointbox with the cable you are running to the new socket.
    Then just fit the new socket in the required location.

Thankyou very much for all the advice guys. Will let you know how it goes.

One other thing I was just thinking, is there anyway I could split the cable and continue to provider power to my existing socket (would be handy to use for the odd time it is in use) and run the new socket? Is there any sort of a three way joint/ junction box one could use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

One other thing I was just thinking, is there anyway I could split the cable and continue to provider power to my existing socket (would be handy to use for the odd time it is in use) and run the new socket? Is there any sort of a three way joint/ junction box one could use?

You never use junction boxes unless you absolutely have to... You can easily join 2 cables together inside a socket or a fused spur outlet, assuming its 2.5mm or 4sq cable.

To be honest you'd probably be best getting an electrician or a friend who knows what he's doing and have a look over his shoulder as he's doing it...

Even get one of them big DIY books they sell in the hardware stores, just beware that most of these books are from the UK, the irish lighting circuits are wired slightly differently....

Thanks for the reply. Might try grab a mate who works an electrician the next time he is around. Better off not blowing myself up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You never use junction boxes unless you absolutely have to... You can easily join 2 cables together inside a socket or a fused spur outlet, assuming its 2.5mm or 4sq cable.

To be honest you'd probably be best getting an electrician or a friend who knows what he's doing and have a look over his shoulder as he's doing it...

Even get one of them big DIY books they sell in the hardware stores, just beware that most of these books are from the UK, the irish lighting circuits are wired slightly differently....

If its in a shed/workshop then Im guessing the wires are all running externall in conduits? You can just get a junction/T conduit and join the wires in there. In that sort if environment its safer to have the wires on display (albeit in a conduit) so someone doesnt hammer a nail etc into them.

Advertisement