Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uncooked breakfasts - ideas? (Lactose free)

• 19-10-2008 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

K so the old cereal with rice milk, toast and OJ is getting a little boring.

Can't put yoghurt or normal milk on stuff as I can't tolerate it, cooking not an option due to time constraint in morning. Small amount of cheese is in though, as long as it's cheddar!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to liven up the breakfast?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nonameyet

brown toast with banana and honey?

fruit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Tried soy milk? It's much nicer than rice milk imo. Scrambled eggs take about 3 minutes to do in the morning, the same amount of time as a bowl of porridge in the microwave.

If you're committed to eating well, you should think about getting up just 5 minutes earlier if it opens up your options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Bagel with peanut butter? Fruit and soy yoghurt? A good quality muesli with non-dairy milk and topped with fresh berries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Today I had a banana and 20 almonds (I grabbed a handful as I ran out the door. Only counted as I'm counting calories). It was nyom. Not enough for a full breakfast, but fruit and nuts are super and good for eating on the bus / train.

Another thing I like: Museli with added nuts, seasonal berries and natural yoghurt (sub in soya yoghurt?).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You could go the continental route and have cold sliced meats? Personally I'd find it a bit bleh for breakfast tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cooking not an option due to time constraint in morning.

Well you could cook in advance and just reheat. I make pancakes with porridge oats, egg, and water/milk. You could cook a batch and keep them in the fridge and just pop them in a toaster.

I used to have fish fingers too, would just put them on a george foreman and leave them, not really "cooking", since I would just leave them 10-15mins and come back, they can't really burn on those grills.

I am in no way particular about my breakfast, never understand why some people refuse to eat certain things at certain times, so sometimes just cook more of what I am having for dinner and have it in the morning, pizza, curry etc.

rubadub wrote: »
    Well you could cook in advance and just reheat. I make pancakes with porridge oats, egg, and water/milk. You could cook a batch and keep them in the fridge and just pop them in a toaster.

Ahem, recipe please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

getting up earlier not much of an option either - the earlier I'm up, the slower I am (no matter what time I go to bed at :confused::confused::confused::confused: I need lots of sleep)

I did try soya milk and couldn't hack the taste...

I miss dairy, it made life so easy :(

Might try be a bit earlier and have scrambled eggs on toast now and then (washing up takes time though so maybe on my late start mornings!)
    The pancakes sound interesting too! Receipe?
    Ah cold meats.. My old faithful *peels another slice out of packet* (I eat packets upon packets of ham :D I <3 Ham)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

taconnol wrote: »
    Ahem, recipe please :D

here is one post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002535

Khannie has a recipie here too http://ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55107235&postcount=6

I really just mix them up with out measuring, it is not like a cake where it won't rise if you get it wrong. Just look up any pancake recipie and sub in the oats. You can liquidise the oats dry in a blender to make up a batch of flour, then store this away. I have a mini blender so make mine fresh. Some health stores might have oat flour already done.

The whey makes them fluffy but can be left out of course.

I also make savoury ones, blend in curry powder and dip in sauces or eat with chicken curry. Or chop up onions into it and make onion bahji type things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Get a bowl of porridge oats and soak them in apple juice in the fridge over night.

Then you can add honey, craisens, cinnemon or whatever takes your fancy!

Absolutely delicious!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement