Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derryclare Lough

• 19-10-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

After spending my free computer time in the last while workign on a site redesign, it was good to get back to photo editing today and post a new pic. Its months since I took it and I wasn't sure where exactly in Connemara it was, but I *think* it's Derryclare Lough. If anyone knows the specific mountains in the background it would be cool?

Derryclare Lough

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Lovely photo Albert. Did you use any filters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Thats a beautiful shot, well done. Looks like it should be in one of those Irish tourist guides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Thanks, kjt I used a polarizing filter and did some processing in photoshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

The near mountain looks like it might be Lackavrea, with the Maumturk ridge in the background. If so, that would make the lake the western tip of Lough Corrib. Derryclare Lough is in the Inagh Valley between the 12 Bens and the Maumturks, which would put it behind the far mountains in your image.

I could be wrong, but the mountains definitely look wrong for the Inagh Valley.

Great shot, by the way. I have a different view on the same scene (taken from the South) here: http://www.petercox.ie/gallery/115

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Would it be possible to post the photograph without any processing or photoshop adjustments, would like to compare
    What exactly does a polarizing filter do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

petercox wrote: »
    The near mountain looks like it might be Lackavrea, with the Maumturk ridge in the background. If so, that would make the lake the western tip of Lough Corrib. Derryclare Lough is in the Inagh Valley between the 12 Bens and the Maumturks, which would put it behind the far mountains in your image.

Great shot, by the way. I have a different view on the same scene (taken from the South) here: http://www.petercox.ie/gallery/115

Cheers,
    Peter

Some really top stuff there Peter

and OP of course !!

Thanks =)

OP?

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

OP?

OP = Original Poster.

Brilliant photos (from both). Quality scenes.

bogman wrote: »
    Would it be possible to post the photograph without any processing or photoshop adjustments, would like to compare
    What exactly does a polarizing filter do?

Well, the polarizing filter was on the camera, so I don't have a version without it that would show what it does. The bottom line really though is that it prevented reflection in the water making the stones more visible and it helps deepen the blue in the sky. Here's an example of 2 pictures with and without a polarizer.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks for the info Peter! I never considered I could have been as east as Lough Corrib but maybe I was, I'll have to investigate a bit more, and perhaps rename the pic. Lovely gallery by the way, you've really done the Irish landscape justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

you have some stunning shots there, well done <how the feck do you do it?:D >

alb -
    Let me know the results of your investigation, and thanks for the kind words.

r_f_r - it's all practice and attention to detail =) I do run workshops in Dublin and Cork - check out the digital photo courses page on my website.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Love it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

alb wrote: »
    That splash page shot is fantastic!

Love the colours and the contrast.

petercox I don't think it can be Lough Corrib, I drove from Galway to Roundstone along the Oughtererard road and the shot in the photo was taken at the roadside, north of the road, well outside Galway City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

The bottom line really though is that it prevented reflection in the water making the stones more visible and it helps deepen the blue in the sky

Thanks for that, a bit like wearing polarized sunglasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

petercox I don't think it can be Lough Corrib, I drove from Galway to Roundstone along the Oughtererard road and the shot in the photo was taken at the roadside, north of the road, well outside Galway City.

If that's the route you took then it is Derryclare Lough, its on your right out that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

heres my take on Derryclare Lough which was taken a few weeks back

http://www.photoimagery.net/latest08/LatestOct08/content/Derryclare_Lough_large.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

nice shot, love the way you composed it, and I love the clouds.... but, it looks a little dark on my screen, mainly the foreground

heres my take on Derryclare Lough which was taken a few weeks back

http://www.photoimagery.net/latest08/LatestOct08/content/Derryclare_Lough_large.html

That's a great shot! I took one or two from that spot too but the conditions weren't so good by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Phahie

Hi alb. I know this area well and can tell you exactly where you were...

Photo was taken by the roadside just west of Maam Cross. The lake is Lough Shindilla and you're looking at the eastern end of the Maumturks. The mountains are, from right to left, Corcogemore, Mullach Glas and Binn Mhór. You can see a small, but definite, lump in the gap between the two main mountains in the photo; this is a rocky crag on the saddle between Corcogemore and Mullach Glas... it's a dead giveaway (if you know these mountains).

Cheers, Tom

Phahie wrote: »

Photo was taken by the roadside just west of Maam Cross. The lake is Lough Shindilla and you're looking at the eastern end of the Maumturks. The mountains are, from right to left, Corcogemore, Mullach Glas and Binn Mhór. You can see a small, but definite, lump in the gap between the two main mountains in the photo; this is a rocky crag on the saddle between Corcogemore and Mullach Glas... it's a dead giveaway (if you know these mountains).

Cheers, Tom

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.452691,-9.562912&num=1&t=p&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&ll=53.472927,-9.578362&spn=0.059874,0.154152&z=13

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

"The dead arose and appeared to many....."

"The dead arose and appeared to many....."

Wow, I'm just noticing it's been over 10 years since your original post... It came up on a Google search for Derryclare Lough and I though, hey, I know that spot. "Better late than never...." :)

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for taking the time to share the location Tom! Everything you've said makes sense, does this mean that Pine Island is in the same lake just further to the west?
    Wow, I'm just noticing it's been over 10 years since your original post... It came up on a Google search for Derryclare Lough and I though, hey, I know that spot. "Better late than never...."

Actually this thread was started in 2008, maybe you were looking at my join date, that was a bit longer ago :) Besides, I see nothing wrong with replying this much later - the information is just as relevant now as it would have been then. I'll make the name change on my site when i get a chance.

Also any idea where Derryclare Lough actually is if this isn't it? anytime in the next 5 years will do ;)

You're very welcome. Yeah, I was looking at your join date... :rolleyes:

Pine Island is actually in Derryclare Lough - further west along the same road. The mountain backdrop to Pine Island is Derryclare (hence Derryclare Lough) and it's part of the Twelve Bens.

Map (turn on Terrain to see the mountains):
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=53.463781,-9.795341&ie=UTF8&om=1

Here's one of mine looking towards Derryclare from the Maumturks:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/phahie/7229106300/in/set-72157629803364494/

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

GREAT photo, the filter really improves the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Phahie has solved the mystery I see. I agree 100% with what he says, don't live far from there myself.

Advertisement