Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting and your friends

Options
  • 19-10-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Only got into shooting in the past year or so. Love it to bits (paper target and sil shooting with a .22) but I found when I told any of my friends what I was up to of a sunday morning I get the crooked eye and "what do you want to be doing that for ?"

Anyone else get a negative reaction ?

Heckler

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Depending who I talk to I might get asked how I'm getting on, I might get disinterest or I might get the impression that they think it's a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Plain and simple, they don't have to like what you're doing and the other way around neither do you. Personally I have not one bit of interest in astronomy and one of my friends is nearly obsessed with it but he knows he bores me to tears talking about it and the same goes when I start talking about shooting to him. Still good pals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Heckler wrote: »
    Anyone else get a negative reaction ?
    All the time, females in particular have a morbid facination with the shooting of poor defenceless little fluffy bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

No surprise at the reaction. I think the shooting of an animal for 'fun' or 'sport' is a mental illness.

No surprise at the reaction. I think the shooting of an animal for 'fun' or 'sport' is a mental illness.

Mcnab never mentioned the words "fun" or "sport". You'd probably be best staying away from the hunting forum. And we as a species have been hunting since we evolved on this planet.

Back on topic. Actually I get a lot of interest from my friends when they learn that I'm a target shooter. I've had a lot of my friends up to my club, and one has now joined and seems to be loving it.

When I have brought my friends up, they've loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Most people I know take me for what I am, an obsessive hunter and they know I love it and nearly all of them would ask me how i'm getting on with my season and show interest, I only have one friend that show's a negetive attitude toward's what I do she's female and can't help it as she's a tre hugger I can have some heated argument's with the Bitch but we get on o. k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Have to add that I was talking to the amateur astronomer this morning. Although he has no interest in shooting at all he was kind of hinting at a "spare" pheasant when the season starts :D. Told him he could beat the ditches and the first cock bagged would be his :D. Face it lads, that sort of food doesn't come without effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I have a .22 rifle so people in work think I'm a serial killer or a "school rampage" is just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Alot of people I work with know I shoot and it often becomes a topic of conversation, no one ever has a go. My friends are shooters and even one that slags me off for shooting wildlife or having a firearm does so more from a messing point of view.

You see guys, life nowadays is very sanitised, and as you can see from the Trolls post earlier. People think food(meat) comes from Supermarkets. I always use this in my discussions with anti shooting wildlife fraternity:

If you eat meat the animal it comes from gets killed and processed. The Difference is when I get it,I will have hunted it, shot it, and processed.

100% traceability

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I was working in a meat packing plant for the start of the summer, and one of the lads I was working with got to asking me what I did in my spare time. After he found out I shoot, he was very interested, and after the weekends he'd ask how I got on in training. Was a good reception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Never had a bother with it.Had all my friends converted to shooting since I was 16.Anyone who has a problem with it I just ignore.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Mcnab never mentioned the words "fun" or "sport". You'd probably be best staying away from the hunting forum. And we as a species have been hunting since we evolved on this planet.

Back on topic. Actually I get a lot of interest from my friends when they learn that I'm a target shooter. I've had a lot of my friends up to my club, and one has now joined and seems to be loving it.

When I have brought my friends up, they've loved it!

Well the OP asked about the reaction of friends and I have been that friend on a couple of occasions and I'm giving it from that point of view. I'm assuming that the OP does it for the enjoyment of hunting and killing and not because of a risk of starving to death.

Indeed, we as a species have been hunting since we evolved on this earth, not for enjoyment though, but out of necessity. And if you want to compare yourself with prehistoric man, fair enough but I myself have moved on and become more civilised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

And if you want to compare yourself with prehistoric man, fair enough but I myself have moved on and become more civilised.

Me too. I no longer eat or defacate at all. Anyone who does is a savage barbarian.
    Indeed, we as a species have been hunting since we evolved on this earth, not for enjoyment though, but out of necessity..

It's the same with sex, because it's necessary to survive, anyone that does it for fun is an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Most people find it a bit odd that i hunt and shoot, one half of them is the "oh my god you slaughter lovely animals" type yet they eat plenty of processed shi*e meat, the other half think i will probably end up busting into a chapel or school with my rifle and a suicide belt and kill everyone, just because i shoot and own guns!! lets face it its more of a taboo to own a gun or hunt for food here than ever before, its this hollywood/celebrity/vegan bullsh*t that people are fed from the tv, dont get me started on what the women in my life think of it, theres no talking to them about conservation/herd/vermin/population control.........

The way i see it is were all animals at the peak of our evolution at the end of the day,most people like to think were not,but we are!

dimebag249 wrote: »
    Me too. I no longer eat or defacate at all. Anyone who does is a savage barbarian.

It's the same with sex, because it's necessary to survive, anyone that does it for fun is an animal.

OK, because you eat, sh1t and have sex, you need to revert to primeval man in everything you do? So I take you just grab your woman of your choice and drag them off by the hair for sex too? Sure why drag them off at all, primeval man didn't care where he had sex. I take it you don't use a modern toilet either then, because primeval man didn't. In fact you obviously don't take part in any form of modern civilisation, such as using currency or partaking in democracy?

You see we have moved on and what was acceptable in days gone by is not socially acceptable anymore and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well the OP asked about the reaction of friends and I have been that friend on a couple of occasions and I'm giving it from that point of view. I'm assuming that the OP does it for the enjoyment of hunting and killing and not because of a risk of starving to death.

Indeed, we as a species have been hunting since we evolved on this earth, not for enjoyment though, but out of necessity. And if you want to compare yourself with prehistoric man, fair enough but I myself have moved on and become more civilised.

I don't know what type of reception you expected here but I will say this to all people, if this debate is going to happen then everyone has to keep it civil, pro and anti alike.

Just so we are clear on this too, if this was posted in the hunting forum you would have been insta-banned as its in breach of the charter there

Ahhhhhh vegetarians, I respect some hugely, Tar is a prime example.

Other animals eat animals so I don't see why humans shouldn't. Our closet neighbour in the animal kingdom, the chimp eats meat. So I see nothing morally wrong with eating meat.

I do see something morally wrong with animal treatment in large scale farming and try to eat organic as often sourced chicken etc as often as I can.

AFAIK one cannot get a complete amino acid profile from a non animal protein either (unless its something made in a lab).

SO why are you a vegetarian TheBigLebowski?

Also if you think people hunt because they enjoy killing you are quite dim to say the least. Why would people bother their hole with hours of stalking, which is often unsuccessful just to shoot a single deer, spend months raising pheasants etc when they could just easily shoot a very plentiful animal like rats/crows just to get a "buzz" from killing.

Its a completely illogical argument, if it was just about the killing then people would pick the easiest animal and easiest method of killing. Game species with firearms is not the easiest way. Of course the argument from someone who knows nothing of the subject matter is often illogical and poorly informed.

I will not deny some people enjoy killing animals, sure a certain % of those might say they are hunters. Its similar to how I'm sure some rapists and paedophiles like Coen brothers films. That does not mean all Coen fans are rapists and paedophiles now does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.................... but I myself have moved on and become more civilised.

Who defines what is and is not civilised? Is it not a form of 'racism' to presume you are civilised and someone else is not just because you don't agree with their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, that's enough of that.

Going to say this once only - take note of Vegeta's post above. TBL is allowed to have his/her own opinion on things and is allowed to express it in a civil fashion (which they've done, though they're walking close to the line IMHO). The reason they're allowed do this is that everyone else is allowed express their opinions as well. That's the cornerstone of discussion, last I checked.

If folks want to head off down the calling-each-other-names-like-children route, we'll just lock the thread permanently. Not kidding, we're all sick of the way these threads inevitably turn out.

Honestly, I've been dragged around by some posters in here to the school of thought that says that the worst enemy that shooting has in this country is a certain minority of our own shooters - the ones who seem to be utterly incapable of accepting that other people will actually have opinions that differ from theirs and that there isn't necessarily anything morally or ethically wrong with that.

Sure, they'll say they get it, but the moment they see a different opinion, they're all over the person with it to point out how they're wrong. I could understand it if it was a disagreement over something like arrangements for a competition or how NGBs are structured, or even on shooting technique or product comparison or whatnot; but over the ethics of hunting in the modern age? That's like arguing over how many angels can be impaled on the head of a pin, for pete's sake.

Thread re-opened.

Who defines what is and is not civilised? Is it not a form of 'racism' to presume you are civilised and someone else is not just because you don't agree with their beliefs.

Glad to see discussion re-opened. We get hunters on the vegan/vegetarian board and they're (almost) always allowed to have their say.

To answer your question I'd say society at large decides what is right and what is wrong. Society decided at some stage that it was not civilised to go around killing other humans at will and society generally agrees and civilisation goes on.

I find it hard to take your second point seriously to be honest. Hunters calling the racism card now? Are hunters a separate race? Firstly I have no idea what race you or anybody else on this board is so surely it can't be racism. And just because people have beliefs, doesn't mean they should be allowed to do as they please. Some people believe that people should be allowed to molest kids. Should we call them a separate race and let them get on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To answer your question I'd say society at large decides what is right and what is wrong.
    I'd have to disagree. Society is basicly a nice word for "mob". Don't forget that history has countless examples of "society" condoning everything from mutilation of children to genocide to innumerable lesser acts we consider unethical from individuals.
    What "society" decides is acceptable is not necessarily morally right or wrong.
    Society decided at some stage that it was not civilised to go around killing other humans at will and society generally agrees and civilisation goes on.
    Actually, that never happened, as a thousand wars merrily attest...

Let's not go down the racism route please, it's neither on point nor productive.

• Advertisement

TBL

Is your issue with hunting/shooting game for the table or eating meat?

The reason why I ask, I have no issue with your arguments regarding being a vegetarian, vegan or whatever? I don't have an issue that you being anti shooting? I would however take issue about comments made in relation to being uncivilised.

If it is because I shoot and prepare the animal, it's a weak argument and a lable thats not deserved. As part of my work I have seen how slaughter houses work, it's not nice, yet this is what is deemed as civilised when it comes to dispatching animals for the food chain.

How am i uncivilised because I choose to dispatch and prepare the food myself??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

If you re-read my original post you'll see I specifically mentioned that I shoot paper and silhouette. I dont't hunt and have no desire to. That said I have no bother with those who do.

My post was more about the reaction of people who have no experience of firearms when they discover that I shoot, own a gun etc.

Thread took an interesting turn though.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I don't know what type of reception you expected here but I will say this to all people, if this debate is going to happen then everyone has to keep it civil, pro and anti alike.

Just so we are clear on this too, if this was posted in the hunting forum you would have been insta-banned as its in breach of the charter there

Ahhhhhh vegetarians, I respect some hugely, Tar is a prime example.

Other animals eat animals so I don't see why humans shouldn't. Our closet neighbour in the animal kingdom, the chimp eats meat. So I see nothing morally wrong with eating meat.

Just to be clear, I am not calling all meat eaters bad people. Humans have eaten meat for a long time and will do for a long time. If I had my way we'd all be veggie for many reasons. I do however have more respect for someone who kills the animal themselves for food and can appreciate that the food they are eating is actually a dead animal rather than something that comes wrapped in plastic from Tesco's. These people who could not bear to see an animal being killed without bursting into tears but have no problem tucking into their steak annoy me. I am talking about killing for entertainment and sport which I believe a lot of hunters do. After all this thread is under Sport->Shooting.

I do see something morally wrong with animal treatment in large scale farming and try to eat organic as often sourced chicken etc as often as I can.

AFAIK one cannot get a complete amino acid profile from a non animal protein either (unless its something made in a lab).

Millions upon millions of healthy vegetarians worldwide would tend to disagree.

SO why are you a vegetarian TheBigLebowski?
    I am uncomfortable with thought of the suffering and death an animal would have went through in order to put my Big Mac on my plate.

Also if you think people hunt because they enjoy killing you are quite dim to say the least. Why would people bother their hole with hours of stalking, which is often unsuccessful just to shoot a single deer, spend months raising pheasants etc when they could just easily shoot a very plentiful animal like rats/crows just to get a "buzz" from killing.
    There are many instances where people kill for entertainment. From badger baiting, foxhunting, bullfights to name a few so why am I dim because I say people enjoy killing? They probably enjoy the thrill of the chase too which is probably why they don't just kill rats/crows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

No problems here from most of my friends. A couple have raised a few eyebrows when I told them I had taken up deer stalking but at the same time have asked for a bit of venison, (when I get around to actually shooting a deer or two).

I can't stand football or GAA but I don't harp on at the buddies when they discuss the latest game & I join them for a few beers when they gather to watch a match etc & they don't harp on at me about shooting "defencless" animals, some have even come out on a hunt with me.

Heckler wrote: »
    Thread took an interesting turn though.

Sure did:)

Sparks wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree. Society is basicly a nice word for "mob". Don't forget that history has countless examples of "society" condoning everything from mutilation of children to genocide to innumerable lesser acts we consider unethical from individuals.
    What "society" decides is acceptable is not necessarily morally right or wrong.

I'd recommend you read up on the concept of the moral zeitgeist which was introduced by Dawkins in The God Delusion. Basically it talks about the fact that human morality progresses and that moral acceptability is driven by consensus. Except for a few mistakes in history such as the Holocaust, this is a good thing and has lead to abolishment of slavery, votes for women etc. Things which in the past were totally acceptable.

Actually, that never happened, as a thousand wars merrily attest...

Tell that to the thousands of people around the world serving life for murder.

Let's not go down the racism route please, it's neither on point nor productive.

Agreed, it was ridiculous point in the 1st place.

TBL

Is your issue with hunting/shooting game for the table or eating meat?

The reason why I ask, I have no issue with your arguments regarding being a vegetarian, vegan or whatever? I don't have an issue that you being anti shooting? I would however take issue about comments made in relation to being uncivilised.

If it is because I shoot and prepare the animal, it's a weak argument and a lable thats not deserved. As part of my work I have seen how slaughter houses work, it's not nice, yet this is what is deemed as civilised when it comes to dispatching animals for the food chain.

How am i uncivilised because I choose to dispatch and prepare the food myself??

I'm talking about killing for entertainment, not killing for food. I also have many issues with commercial livestock and the treatment of anmals involved in that but that's a discussion for another board!

I'm talking about killing for entertainment, not killing for food. I also have many issues with commercial livestock and the treatment of anmals involved in that but that's a discussion for another board!

Thats fair enough..Welcome to the shooting section of boards, it's good to see contrasting opinion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I'm talking about killing for entertainment, not killing for food. I also have many issues with commercial livestock and the treatment of anmals involved in that but that's a discussion for another board

I'm afraid Big L, YOU'R OFF TOPIC, read the heading of this topic, (shooting and you'r FRIEND'S) The only thing cruel is the price of butter, and the torture of golfball's,next we'll be cribbing about golf., tell the truth you love BIG MAC'S
    laughing001yz5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just to be clear, I am not calling all meat eaters bad people.

Well which ones are "bad" then??

If I had my way we'd all be veggie for many reasons

Why???And who gave YOU the moral right to decide whats "good for us"??This is what pisses me off with anti meat eaters /hunters etc.The God given ASSUMPTION that they know whats better for us and this moralistic smugness that they are somhow superior for not eating meat from the rest of us untermenschen!!

I am uncomfortable with thought of the suffering and death an animal would have went through in order to put my Big Mac on my plate.
    Fair enough your opinion/consience..But us hunters know what it takes to put our dinner on our plates,so we really dont have a problem with this...

There are many instances where people kill for entertainment. From badger baiting, foxhunting, bullfights to name a few so why am I dim because I say people enjoy killing?
    Not exactly legal in Ireland so we would thank you not to compare us to criminals thank you very much!!!:mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement