Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems for mobile broadband

Options
  • 19-10-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just two quick questions:
    1)Are mobile modems compatible with all networks, e.g. Vodafone, 3, O2?
    2)How easy is it to set up a wireless network on a mobile modem, i.e., are mobile modems and routers separate or one device?
    I've been on ADSL broadband for years but no idea what's involved in going online the mobile way :rolleyes: Now I think it may be the only option, hence the questions.
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

1) If the modem is unlocked then yes. The modems you get from the network providers are locked to their network.

2) Setting up a wireless network for a modem isn't a problem. The mobile modem and router are two separate things. The mobile modems usually come in the form of usb modems but they also exist in PCMCIA and ExpressCard form. To share a modem wirelessly you can either get a router designed for the job such as the DOVADO UMR (search forum for more info on this) or set up a wireless network between your computers and share the connection from one of them using internet connection sharing. The wireless network can be ad-hoc or you can use a wireless router if you have one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb use a different technology, but currently in limited areas.

The PCMCIA modems work in widest range of Routers.

The latency (ping) will never be broadband performance, the speed will vary from ISDN to Broadband speeds depending on Mast, number of users (not same sort of contention as DSL as with more than 25 users on a mast sector you might not connect at all) and signal level.

A modem with an aerial socket is best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

none wrote: »

The 3G modems work on any network, but the ones supplied by the networks will be sim-locked to their own. Also, if you buy an O2 modem, for example, it will only work on O2's network, while you have the O2 SIM in it.
    2)How easy is it to set up a wireless network on a mobile modem, i.e., are mobile modems and routers separate or one device?

They are separate devices, and the routers for the USB modems tend to be a lot more expensive than a non-usb port router. Also, 3G Internet isn't the best for sharing, as it's latency is quite poor and the speeds are very variable.
    I've been on ADSL broadband for years but no idea what's involved in going online the mobile way :rolleyes: Now I think it may be the only option, hence the questions.

If you're thinking of changing from DSL to mobile for any reason other than you absolutely need the mobility, or you can no longer get fixed line or fixed wireless (proper) broadband, then don't. 3G is not an alternative, it's more a complimentary service to actual broadband, for those who need the mobility, or for those who have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Thank for the lesson :) I'm thinking of mobile broadband only because I may have to live without a landline for some time. Seems like wireless networking is a bit more challenging with the mobile equipment as that Dovado thread has quite a few unanswered questions. I think 12 months contracts is a bit of an overkill so I'm considering Pay As You Go Broadband from 3. As I understand, it won't require me to have any contracts and I may stop using it anytime. I can also use my own modem, I' just unsure how to sign up. The main thing I understood here is that mobile broadband is still a bit raw so I'll be better off with ADSL or, maybe even Wireless ;)

Which one of these would you recommend?
    Huawei E270
    Novatel MC950D
    Sierra Wireless Compass 885
    Or is there anything better?

• Advertisement

Actually, after some investigation, the revised list is:
    1) Sierra Wireless Compass 885;
    2) Novatel MC950D;
    3) Huawei E180.
    I think these are the best available USB sticks at the moment.
    Not sure if it makes sense buying them though, as no one in Ireland sells a broadband SIM only. Buying a good modem from the above list and throwing Three's E169 or O2's E220 in a bin doesn't appear too wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Coincidentally, I do have a student card ;) It's about to expire in a few week though. Anyway, those offers are not much different as I still must buy their modem which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boardseller

Just in case anyone is interested i am selling a unlocked 3g modem Here
    This Allows you to test all the networks just use a pre paid sim from your phone or whatever and you can be sure to get the best service in your areasmile.gif no contract free to do as you please dont like a provider switch simply as that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Hi,
    Just two quick questions:

If you're with O2 and have a HSDPA handset, you can also apply broadband to your account on a monthly basis. This is as handy as PAYG but in my long experience, the 'broadband' enjoyed using a 6210c, say, as a bluetooth modem far outclasses the the performance of a Huawei modem.

• Advertisement

Got Novatel MC950D from Germany but have trouble setting it up to work with 3. I think the software preinstalled on the device works with Vodafone (any country) network only. Novatel has the most incompetent site and so nothing is available there, they even refuse to provide basic support as answering questions. Anyway, I'll play with it some more time but maybe somebody here had any experience with this modem? It has quite good reviews but apparently it was never tested in Ireland...

Novatel Ovation MC950D USB Stick [7.2Mbps/2.1Mbps]
    http://www.novatelwireless.com/ovation-mobile-convergence/ovation-mc950d-7.2-usb-modem-hsdpa-hsupa-umts-networks.html
    http://www.mobilebroadbandrocks.com/hardware/novatel-mc950d-usb-stick
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/11/review_novatel_mc950d/

OK, I got it working :) The only problem was that there was no native software provided and the Vodafone app refused to work on other networks. Getting the MobiLink program from the Novatel site proved impossible but Google helped here too: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1328327.

Advertisement