Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Downgrade my car

Options
  • 20-10-2008 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have hit some personal trouble and would like to down grade my car, currently have a bos loan which is up to date. I would like to give my car back if possible. I've had it since christmas.

Do the banks allow you to hand back a car / trade down ?

I heard from someone that once the garage is registered with the simi, that this is possible. I'd like to get a cheap run about till things pick up again..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i know someone who did something like this but it cost them a lot of money. basically you will end up getting f*ck all for your car. if you stop paying they will just take it back and with the bleak economic situation slightly new cars are very hard to get rid of. the dealer the bank brings it to might not even have space

you can always take the engine out, sell it and put in a briggs & stratton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Excellent suggestion, might just try the lawnmower.

the car in question has given me nothing but trouble, this is recorded with SIMI and to be honest I would be in my rights to hand it back due to the issues I've had with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JJJJNR wrote: »
    the car in question has given me nothing but trouble

What car is it and what problems have you had with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Excellent suggestion, might just try the lawnmower.

the car in question has given me nothing but trouble, this is recorded with SIMI and to be honest I would be in my rights to hand it back due to the issues I've had with it..

But under comsumer law you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. I'd bet that you'll keep getting repair and replacement but very little chance of refund. You can hand it back after 3 repair attempts for the same issue, but again the garage can just give you a different car or say that each issue is different.

Garages are having a hard time now also so they won't want to take a car they can't shift without a lot of hassle on your side.

Its a 307 1400cc petrol, the temp gauge has never worked on it, it was in the dealers for nearly 1 week trying to fix it.

They said it was fixed, but its never worked it just sits just above 0c on every trip no matter how far.. Daily commute is 60km and it dosent move..

• Advertisement

Lads this issue is still happening on this 307, going in next week for the repair 2nd time around, car is out of manufactures warranty in FEB will this effect my claim for a replacement/refund.

Oh yeah the heater is no longer working on this car either. missus drives it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I doubt you have a chance of a replacement or refund at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it will not be fixed and come feb. you will be told swivel

hmm, starting to get bitter about this one. Car has been a pain since it was bought. Wouldnt mind but I've always hated them. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Your entitled to repair, and they'll keep trying to repair as it'll cost them a whole of a lot more to take it back. To be honest, i'd get the idea out of your head of you getting your money back.

Edit: Actually, what year is the car and what did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking.

Advertisement