Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson C905

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,395 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i went into a 3g store today and the se c905 price was 400 euro

tad expensive compared to 375 online

so are all stores that have the c905 priced the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Got my phone yesterday, quite heavy but I find that reassuring....looks well, handles well, but I had some issues with using WiFi, turns out the branded firmware put on by 3...and from what I've read other networks in the UK as well cause conflicts in accessing the internet.

10 euro on DaVinci and now I have a western europe unbranded phone...lost a few apps, skype, msn, but I'll survive that...much prefer the phone now :D

Did you get this unlocked? If so ..where? I may buy one tomorrow providing I can unlock it and flash it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

su_dios wrote: »
    Did you get this unlocked? If so ..where? I may buy one tomorrow providing I can unlock it and flash it. Thanks!

I think the firmware update I did only removed the 3 branding, software, logos etc....doubt it removed the lock, just go to http://davinciteam.eu/index.html and see if they can unlock

I think the firmware update I did only removed the 3 branding, software, logos etc....doubt it removed the lock, just go to http://davinciteam.eu/index.html and see if they can unlock

Thanks! Does it come with the required cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Where did everyone get their c905? Price? Unlocked?
    Any info would be appreciated .

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I can unlock this phone, takes a whole 60 seconds... ;)

I can unlock this phone, takes a whole 60 seconds... ;)

Do explain.

I got a quote of 45eur from gsm solutions and 10eur to flash the 3 software off it. I ordered online from 3 as its 20eur cheaper than in store.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

i went into a 3g store today and the se c905 price was 400 euro

tad expensive compared to 375 online

so are all stores that have the c905 priced the same?

Where online ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Do explain.

I got a quote of 45eur from gsm solutions and 10eur to flash the 3 software off it. I ordered online from 3 as its 20eur cheaper than in store.
    €55? What a rip-off... I'd do it for half the price...

• Advertisement

lads whats the sound quality like on the SE C905

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Got my phone yesterday, quite heavy but I find that reassuring....looks well, handles well, but I had some issues with using WiFi, turns out the branded firmware put on by 3...and from what I've read other networks in the UK as well cause conflicts in accessing the internet.

10 euro on DaVinci and now I have a western europe unbranded phone...lost a few apps, skype, msn, but I'll survive that...much prefer the phone now :D
    bookmark the download pages before you debrand and you'll be able to reinstall some of the apps. Skype should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

howdy guys, was just reading some stuff on the GPS on this phone, do you actully have to connect to mobile internet to use the GPS, or can you use it like your in car one (maybe without the anoying narator), just switch it on

would still asume you have to connect to the internet to update it, can this be done by connecting to your laptop/desktop, or again, does it have to be via mobile internet

basically trying to save money, and dont want to be adding mobile internet to my bill

irish-stew wrote: »
    howdy guys, was just reading some stuff on the GPS on this phone, do you actully have to connect to mobile internet to use the GPS, or can you use it like your in car one (maybe without the anoying narator), just switch it on

would still asume you have to connect to the internet to update it, can this be done by connecting to your laptop/desktop, or again, does it have to be via mobile internet

basically trying to save money, and dont want to be adding mobile internet to my bill

There are a number of ways to use GPS, one of these is called AGPS. What this does it gets some information from your network as in what tower your phone is connected and where it is and this enables the GPS to lock on in between 10 and 30 seconds. It also uses up data. By comparison, old school standalone GPS would take about 3-5 mins to get a lock on you.

The C905 and most sonyericsson phones ship with wayfinder navigator which you can predownload maps to in advance, so you could download all the irish ones onto your phone, so the handset wouldn't connect to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Where did everyone get their c905? Price? Unlocked?
    Any info would be appreciated .

Thanks

let me know if you're after one

neilled wrote: »
    There are a number of ways to use GPS, one of these is called AGPS. What this does it gets some information from your network as in what tower your phone is connected and where it is and this enables the GPS to lock on in between 10 and 30 seconds. It also uses up data. By comparison, old school standalone GPS would take about 3-5 mins to get a lock on you.

so with that your connecting to mobile internet, adding to your phone bill?
    The C905 and most sonyericsson phones ship with wayfinder navigator which you can predownload maps to in advance, so you could download all the irish ones onto your phone, so the handset wouldn't connect to the internet.

read some where this is a trail version, can you down load for free off the internet updates and maps for where your going to, say similar to your in car tomtom or garman and transfer to your phone

sorry, dont know much about the GPS on the phones, could be wrong, but from reading the reviews, the one on the C905, seems to be targeting at bloggers, or people using tags for their pictures so they can remember where thet took their pics, if using the wayfinder, can you use it as a navigational tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

There are a number of ways to use GPS, one of these is called AGPS.

Plus... AGPS is only useful if you don't mind your actual location being 1000m away from it says you are. :rolleyes:

bookmark the download pages before you debrand and you'll be able to reinstall some of the apps. Skype should be fine

Any chance someone else has these bookmarks??? :D

Reinstalled Skype from their own site but it only allows calls using my mobile to non skype numbers, can only chat to skype contacts, i assume the 3 version of skype is slightly customised...don't wanna ring just yet pretending I deleted it :D

Also to answer someone elses question, the usb cable that comes with the phone is fine for using update/flashing software

JDxtra wrote: »
    Plus... AGPS is only useful if you don't mind your actual location being 1000m away from it says you are. :rolleyes:
    I'm afraid your wrong on that. :rolleyes: Your thinking of triangulating a position by network cell ID. A GPS works in a similar manner in that it gives the phone an initial lock of around 1000 meters, giving the phone an idea of where it is, and then within 20 or so seconds it can lock down to a much more accurate distance.

Handsets with the generic sony ericsson software come with a 3 month trail of wayfinder navigator. I'm not sure about the 3 ireland version (damn, should haven't upgraded in may) but three sweden handsets seem to do so.

You should also be aware that you'll loose your delivery reports if you debrand to generic.

I have the skype link saved, pm me if you want it.

irish-stew wrote: »
    so with that your connecting to mobile internet, adding to your phone bill?

read some where this is a trail version, can you down load for free off the internet updates and maps for where your going to, say similar to your in car tomtom or garman and transfer to your phone

sorry, dont know much about the GPS on the phones, could be wrong, but from reading the reviews, the one on the C905, seems to be targeting at bloggers, or people using tags for their pictures so they can remember where thet took their pics, if using the wayfinder, can you use it as a navigational tool?

One feature of the handset is geotagging it takes a gps position of pictures you take. Wayfinder is one of the leading mobile navigation programmes, just google search, it offers turn by turn navigation with voice prompts.

• Advertisement

You should also be aware that you'll loose your delivery reports if you debrand to generic.

Could you explain this a little more please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oisink64

Will the c905 be out on o2 soon??? If so roughly how much? :confused:
    Thanks

Could you explain this a little more please?

I tested this myself and despite debranding I haven't lost the ability to request deliver reports for my texts (not that I use the functionality). Also for anyone who debrands and wants to get the proper (free to use) 3 versions of Skype and MSN back, holla at me by pm ;)

oisink64 wrote: »
    Will the c905 be out on o2 soon??? If so roughly how much? :confused:
    Thanks

I was told a fortnight ago by O2 that they'd most likely have the phone by mid to late November...so any day now I guess...no indication of price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Does anyone know of any 3 shops that this can be bought in? I tried Henry St yesterday and it was sold out and so was Grafton Street.

Is it possible to unlock these phones yourself for free from any online sites?

digiman wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any 3 shops that this can be bought in? I tried Henry St yesterday and it was sold out and so was Grafton Street.

Is it possible to unlock these phones yourself for free from any online sites?

Dunno about unlocking for free, I only wanted rid of branding for now. Its strange about the stock levels cause when I looked on the 3 site last night the C905 was gone from bill pay and pre pay...was there last week when I bought it!

I was told a fortnight ago by O2 that they'd most likely have the phone by mid to late November...so any day now I guess...no indication of price though.

was talking to 02 cutomer care a couple of days ago on a seperate mater, asked about the C905, agent knew nothing about it

one thing i'm not fully clear on is the wayfinder and the A-GPS, can you use these exactly like a normal GPS without contecting to mobile internet, and therefore not ocuring data charges

also, the trail version of wayfinder, does this mean that after the trail version period is up, do you have to pay a subscribtion to use it

basically, if i was to buy a mobile with GPS capabilitys, i want to be able to use it only just paying my usual voice and SMS costs, and just update the maps of my home internet, without occuring data or subcribtion costs to my mobile to another company

Just got it this minute. Brilliant build..going to check it out now. I bought online with three and plan to unlock although three look to be set up far better than any network. I was trying to find out why there was a delay in delivery yesterday and used their 'chat to customer service' option on their website and I have to say its great. No waiting on the phone to get through to someone and could do it in work without having to step out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'm thinking of going for one of these but would also like some feedback on the Sat Nav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'm thinking of going for one of these but would also like some feedback on the Sat Nav

As stated above, it uses aGPS (assisted GPS). Put it this way - you won't be driving your car around with it.

Advertisement