Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xignite.com advert

Options
  • 20-10-2008 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

I noticed something weird happening in a thread there, an advert (I think it was spread betting or something, CMC?) started to run a constant stream of bandwidth from my connection. The little info text on the bottom left on firefox kept repeating connecting to xignite.com etc. Firewall reported a stream of info up and down. I pay for that by the megabyte and I don't appreciate it being abused by irresponsible coding.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Haven't noticed it myself, sometimes ads will send information if you hover over them, I don't know the advertising term for it, but I guess it's a way of tracking "interest".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I noticed this on a thread earlier (can't remember the add that was on, sorry) but on the bottom left of firefox, where it says it's loading etc, it was constantly loading from xignite.com. It was a long thread, so I was reading for a couple of minutes before I noticed. I'll see if it happens again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've got it on this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57636785#post57636785) and I'm getting the same as the lads have described above. I think it's because the ad constantly updates the euro/dollar exchange rate (click the start button when you first see the ad and you'll see what I'm talking about).

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm, so it does!

On a sidenote I think the CMC Markets logo looks a little bit like Cthulu.

Advertisement