Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resealing windows

Options
  • 20-10-2008 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

we have i think there single glazing windows and over the years the seals are coming off,

i jsut wanted to know does it mean the windows must be replaced or can i get someone to do new seals and have them replaced does anyone know were i can get them done ,

:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sounds like single glazing with black rubber seal. Most Glaziers should be able to do it, or any local uPvc Window company.

It might be possible to fit a double glazed unit into the existing frame, depending on overall thickness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lenguy

I have a draft coming from one or two of my windows. I think the glazing and sashes are OK, but that the air flow is coming from around the outside of the frame. I suppose that sealing the cracks from the outside is the most preventative measure, but can anyone recommend the best product to use? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Lenguy wrote: »
    I have a draft coming from one or two of my windows. I think the glazing and sashes are OK, but that the air flow is coming from around the outside of the frame. I suppose that sealing the cracks from the outside is the most preventative measure, but can anyone recommend the best product to use? Thanks...

Use external silicone, cheaply available from €2-80 to €7 per tube.
    Apply externally and internally to ensure an airtight seal.
    Available in a number of colours to match window frame but I advise clear silicone, especially if you are not used to applying it.

Steady slow squeeze, apply top to bottom. Smooth off when semi-dry with wet finger or allow to dry completely and cut excess with blade.:)

Advertisement