Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Control Helicopter

Options
  • 20-10-2008 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a good starter Helicopter. I would like something half decent but something I could get spare parts for if it rammed into the ground Also I am willing to learn how to use it properly etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a good starter Helicopter. I would like something half decent but something I could get spare parts for if it rammed into the ground Also I am willing to learn how to use it properly etc

What is your budget and which would you perfer? electric or nitro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

I saw that there is one RC Helicopter in "Be Cool" in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre at €285 but I can see much better deals online. I am not up to speed on the whole Electric Vs Nitro so any pointers you can give me would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi,

To make it short, I'd go for electric ! :D

One less thing to worrie about (engine... will start ? setup correct ? and so on...)

Electric, plug and fly !
    After that, we need to know more about your budget...

What type of heli is it for 285Euro's...
    If you up to speed with whole Electric Vs Nitro, which preference do you have? Do you want to start with 450 or 500 electric size or go to a 600nitro size. You could go with an trex 600 nitro or electric or (since the introduction of Trex range) get a good deal on a Raptor 30 or 50 size....
    It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend. If you are starting from scratch the initial pay out will be more since your buying radio gear, batteries, chargers etc...

What about this? Seems good and reasonable:

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/RC-Helicopters/ESky-Honey-Bee/p-70-124/

• Advertisement

I have no experience with the ESky Honey Bee, however when I first started I had something similar, piccolo eco V2. It was similar in size and made from similar type material - plastic parts with some light carbon for tail boom and landing gear.
    These type of helis are light and require light fingers to fly, they should be flown indoors (large room or hall) only, flown outside in Irish weather the slightest breeze will throw them of course. However they can be a good start up heli as they will teach you the basics to fly and come at an entry level cost for everything to fly.
    The important thing to consider though in flying any type of heli is the availability of parts as you will crash. Some parts with the ESky Honey Bee I suspect can be repaired after a crash with a little CA but other parts like the swash (swash guide pin) you are probably better of replacing, so having a local hobby store (online or nearby) that sell parts is important.
    I think they some people here who may have experience with the ESky Honey Bee (or ESky Honey Bee II).
    If I was to make a suggestion, I would go with something like the ESky Honey Bee II or E-Flite Blade 400.
    Best of luck...

Do you have a link to where I could pick up a ESky Honey Bee II or E-Flite Blade 400?

Do you have a link to where I could pick up a ESky Honey Bee II or E-Flite Blade 400?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/e-flite_blade-p-2617.html
    I meant to say ESky Honey Bee king II ....(not ESky Honey Bee II )
    http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/esky_honey_king_heli_(yellow_canopy)_ek1h-e017-p-2882.html

I deal with fast-lad.co.uk alot, good prices and good guys to deal with.
    Feel free to call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Marcio.souza

How much do you want spend? What type of flight do you want? 3D? Sport? Just to fly in the backyard? To fly inside your home?

I can give you 3 options.

Lama v4,nice to fly inside your home.

http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=770

Blade CP good helicopter for sport flying and small budget.
    http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=469

Now if you something to fly 3D later and start with good equipment, go for t-rex 450 or t-rex 500.

You will spend about from 800 euros to 1200 + -

If you want a nitro helicopter
    You can go for Raptor 30 v2 Thunder tiger or t-rex 600 nitro

You will spend about 1400 euros

Have more options,but those ones are good for a begginer.

The Protos 500 looks like a good electric also, its lighter than the trex 500.
    In two minds in getting it or going all out and buying the logo 500 with vbar.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Marcio.souza

syl77 wrote: »
    The Protos 500 looks like a good electric also, its lighter than the trex 500.
    In two minds in getting it or going all out and buying the logo 500 with vbar.
    :confused:

I prefer t-rex 500,its easier to find spare parts,its heavier than logo,better for begginers,more stability to fly,with Vbar the helicopter have more faster responses,so i dont think its a good idea for someone who is just starting.

I prefer t-rex 500,its easier to find spare parts,.
    Realraptors, Midland helis, and Fastlad all stock logo and Protos parts, finding parts for these machines isn't a problem.
    with Vbar the helicopter have more faster responses,so i dont think its a good idea for someone who is just starting
    with the vbar system you can add things like paddle weight, also there is different degrees of response you can setup so as to slow down the machine in flight.
    Having said that, I was not recommending the 500 with vbar as a 1st heli, but rather as my next heli....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 superflyguy321

Yeah its a great heli but out of the box its hard to fly more geared up for a learner. Now after spending the best part of 550 euro or more it flies great. So keep that in mind when you are starting. Anyone know much about Precision Aerobatic planes? I am looking to buy an extra 260.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wilkiek

I just bought a hdx450 (trex 450 clone) from heliguy in the US but buying all other comonents from fast-lad. Highly recommend them for speed of shipping and delivery.
    By all accounts anything smaller than a 400 is for indoors and if you want to be serious outdoors a 450 or preferabley 500+ is more stable (considering our weather). Bear in mind the cost of batter packs when you goto the bigger helis though, they get very expensive and you're going to want a few of them.
    I'd also highly recommend a flight sim first off to get your bearings with no repair costs (FMS is free!!).

just bought a hdx450 (trex 450 clone) from heliguy in the US but buying all other comonents from fast-lad.

Hi Wilkiek, do you find that most of the trex 450 parts are interchangeable with the HDX 450 or are you just buying HDX parts....

Ya, the Fastlad lads are good, They will be flying with us in Galway club this weekend. Hopefully weather holds up.... all Welcome...

Haven't had to get spares "yet" but i've had a look around and it seems that most parts for the t-rex are compatible.
    Will keep you posted.
    Good luck for the weekend.

I just got me an Outrage G5 bought it in Ireland, so far so good. Its amazing to fly and loves abuse. I wonder how it compares to that HDX of even T-Rex. I guess its over priced unless u were pro u might feel the difference. Anyhow I think a few parts are interchangable between these helis.

Doooh, just finished building the hdx 450 (very nice) but wrecked the tail servo, suppose it will give me some time on the simulator while the post arrives...
    I got the V3 which it seams can almost completely use trex-450 stock parts.

Got it and building it now hence advise from another thread. What a beauty alright cant wait to fly it when the wind permits. Got it here in Ireland believe it or not so that suits me for quick access to parts, important for me the way I fly. Check it out online its a super plane.

Started hovering the HDX450 at the weekend, had the tail servo and giro reverse but soon fixed that and had it hovering for 2 packs.
    Swapped out the stock main blades for some Align CF ones and also some generic CF tail blades, nice...
    Need to find somewhere nearer to Ashbourne to fly now!! If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jeffpilot

I cant find the page where I was recommended to buy from http://www.discount-rc-toys.com/ thank you anyway it was pleasent dealing with them. Based in Dublin and that they wont be beaten on price attracted me :DThe problem I had was when I searched for RC helicopters I got lost with all the terminology and tech data that it was just easier to speak with pros who know about this stuff and want to sell you something to make you happy. I bought the Belt CP a 450 size heli, it looked better value than the Honey Bee King 2 as it already had a brushless motor and was bigger. I also bought a simulator to go with my PC so I could learn to fly before I crash. I am very happy so far and will post more on this heli after I do get to finally fly it. Thanks once again.

Advertisement