Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom]Low SNR

Options
  • 20-10-2008 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Experiencing anywhere from 2 to 10 desyncs daily. Attributing it to quite a low snr. Seen it as low as 0.5, usually hovers between 2.0-6.5 which I understand is the cause of my desyncs. Just wondering if there's anyway to boost my signal. Or anybody else experiencing the same problems.

Also read somewhere that requesting a decrease in speed will boost the SNR. Any truth in this?

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6592 672
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 15.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 34.00 21.00
    CRC Errors 0 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yeah, if you ask Eircom to lower the speed you should get a more stable line. The last time I talked to them, they could pretty accurately predict the line speed from the attenuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You could try a different modem. My SNR used to hover around 13db (and lower sometimes) using the Eircom silver 2247NWG. Swapped it for a new D-Link and it jumped to 24db.
    Even the old ZyXel 600 BT modem was way better than the Netopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You could try a different modem. My SNR used to hover around 13db (and lower sometimes) using the Eircom silver 2247NWG. Swapped it for a new D-Link and it jumped to 24db.
    Even the old ZyXel 600 BT modem was way better than the Netopia.
    I agree, some routers are better able to hold the connection with low SNR. Also make sure youre testing against the master socket in the house

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eldarion wrote: »
    Experiencing anywhere from 2 to 10 desyncs daily. Attributing it to quite a low snr. Seen it as low as 0.5, usually hovers between 2.0-6.5 which I understand is the cause of my desyncs. Just wondering if there's anyway to boost my signal. Or anybody else experiencing the same problems.

Also read somewhere that requesting a decrease in speed will boost the SNR. Any truth in this?

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6592 672
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 15.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 34.00 21.00
    CRC Errors 0 5

http://www.kitz.co.uk
    /adsl/lowSNR.htm

For each upgrade between the speeds you can expect to lose on average 6dB

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Would also recommend a Thomson Speed Touch 585 router for this situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement