Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Gamesoc) FIFA 09 competition?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Howya, my mate in D.I.T tells me they are having a FIFA 09 competition with the 3 winners going on to an inter-varsity tournament.

Is this happening for UCD?

As Irish FIFA champion for the last 4 years running, and going to represent Ireland at the World Cyber Games in Cologne in November, i would love the chance to play in this.

Has anyone got any info? I hope i didnt miss it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You didn't miss it. More will be revealed in good time. WhooOO!

*waves hands mysteriously*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As in:

a) You dont know anything about it, but you want to make me think i didnt miss it and have me go on a wild goose chase and your being a bit of a dick?

or

b) You actually know about it, maybe involved in it, and have just given me really good news which is exactley what i wanted to hear?

I hope its B.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

hes one of the gamesoc committee i'm sure he knows, i never knew you were in ucd mikey. I will go to it for the craic there cant be that many good players in ucd can there :D except mikey of course. should be funny seeing him play against everyone.

It's B, I'm the auditor of Gamesoc. It's a work in progress, more details will be made available as they're available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

betafrog wrote: »
    Thats a great way to encourage people to show up.

Its one of the reasons I don;t go to gamesoc video game events anymore because there a few lads who play professionally and turn up and make everyone else look stupid.

complain much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its one of the reasons I don;t go to gamesoc video game events anymore because there a few lads who play professionally and turn up and make everyone else look stupid.

Well you will never win anything with that attitude mate. How do you think i won my first tournament? Dumped a champion out on his arse. Someone has to do it to me eventually so why not be it a lad in UCD?

A few reasons to show up:

-I was champion of FIFA 2005, 06, 07 and 08...FIFA 09 has been out for 2 weeks, im not that great at it and i am not Irish champion at it.

-3 People win places, i cant win all 3.

-For a FACT i know at least 10 of my mates in UCD who are exellent at FIFA, i will encourage them to show up and im sure ill get a damn good run for my money.

-FIFA is a better game this year, more like real football, Hull beat Arsenal at the Emirates.

-Do you think Senegal, when they got drawn with France in the 2002 World Cup said "Bollox, they won it in 1998, im not going all the way from Africa!" No. They went and trained and whooped France.

-So much expected of me. I kind of HAVE to win this. Im off to an international tournament in 2 weeks, if i lose a comp in my college it wont look the best will it? If you lose, you have nothing to lose and i have nothing to gain.

-Ive been training on FIFA 08 on PC and cannot dedicate much time to practise FIFA 09 360.

-ITS GOING TO BE FUN.

*btw hi Neilk32, i didnt know YOU were in UCD:D

*Raphael, brilliant! Cheers for the info, big relief.

Sorry for the mega-post, im doing Philosophy hence the reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

How dare they defeat other people with with their natural talent and hard work. That wouldn't happen in any other facet of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    Sorry for the mega-post, im doing Philosophy hence the reasoning.
    At least you'll have the fifa to fall back on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Seifer wrote: »
    At least you'll have the fifa to fall back on ;)

:eek:
    i felt the heat from that burn myself...

out of curiousity mikey what philosophy you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Yo dude what date ye going?i thought it wasnt until the 2nd or so week in nov?? Good Luck over there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BuzzFledderjohn

Just thought I should drop in and give my two cents (I am the videogames officer after all). This just hasn't happened at any events so far this year, and I doubt it's something that's likely to be a problem. There're a few players who are good at each game but not to the extent of freezing out anyone else (not even close). The nights we run (even the competitive ones) are designed to give everyone a chance to have fun with any game they want to play.

As for the original topic, things are being worked on as far as intervarsity plans go at the moment but if there is interest in a FIFA tournament the gamesoc will certainly run one.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

Just thought I should drop in and give my two cents (I am the videogames officer after all). This just hasn't happened at any events so far this year, and I doubt it's something that's likely to be a problem. There're a few players who are good at each game but not to the extent of freezing out anyone else (not even close). The nights we run (even the competitive ones) are designed to give everyone a chance to have fun with any game they want to play.

Except for that cod comp i got put with some guy who hadn't played it on xbox before. We didnt lose once :rolleyes: i felt sorry for the other half decent guy who got put with the lad getting 0 kills every game though. If theres a halo night ya might see some freezing out though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

I believe this is going to be held with with the C&E and GameSoc.

EA are a big sponsor of the C&E at the moment, and part of the deal is that the C&E get them in on campus whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

No, this is being organised between GameSoc and a number of other games and technology societies from around Dublin. It has nothing to do with C&E or EA. It's originally the brainchild of DIT's games society.

(just so I don't get accused of posting under false pretenses or not knowing what I'm talking about: I'm GameSoc's PRO. It's funny how many GameSoc committee members you can get to show up when you make a thread with GameSoc in the name ;P)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh be nice :p

(that said, I haven't been to any Gamesoc stuff myself in ages)

More than at their events anyway :eek::P
    Oooooh, burn

Advertisement