Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Hire - First Timer Questions

Options
  • 20-10-2008 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, As my own car is in need of some garage work, I'm hiring a car for the bank holiday weekend from Thrifty. This is my first time using car hire, so I have some questions, and would appreciate any general advice from posters.

I have my own car insurace. Is it possible to transfer this to the hire car? And if I do so, will I need the Liability Waiver cover offered by the hire company?

Any other advice also appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Yes you can transfer your own insurance as long as it is fully comprehensive insurance, all the CDW stuff becomes irrelevant then. You can only get CDW if you take the rental companies insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just be aware if you do this then your own car has NO insurance. I'd want to check with the garage what sort of cover they'll have on your car while they have it in case anything goes wrong.

Also before you get the hire car make sure to check it out for any damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My own car will be in my front yard while I'm away so no worries there.

As to checking out the hire car, would it be daft to take photos of it before I drive it away from the hire company?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd nearly take the hire company's insurance to be honest. If you do transfer your own and you do have even the slightest of accidents it could impact your own No Claims Discount. Could end up costing you more in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dudara wrote: »
    My own car will be in my front yard while I'm away so no worries there.
    Theft?
    As to checking out the hire car, would it be daft to take photos of it before I drive it away from the hire company?
    Not at all, costs nothing and takes maybe a minute.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just be aware if you do this then your own car has NO insurance. I'd want to check with the garage what sort of cover they'll have on your car while they have it in case anything goes wrong.

Also before you get the hire car make sure to check it out for any damage etc.

You could get fire & theft only cover for your car as a temporary thing. it's not as big a deal as it sounds. Herself used to work in insurance & I had her doing this for me all the time swapping and changing cars, etc.
    I did it when I rented an X3 from Avis a few years ago (X3 I know; but it was actually fine).
    Or even just get a temporary additional vehicle added to your policy, it may cost a little bit more though.

As for damage it is standard practice for the rental company to mark any damage down on their rental sheets. Just make sure any damage you spot is marked on this sheet & you'll be fine.

If you have an accident of course your no claims will be affected, but it would have been affected if you were driving your own car too. Just don't do a "drive it like you stole it" on the rental car & you should be fine.

If you have an accident of course your no claims will be affected, but it would have been affected if you were driving your own car too. Just don't do a "drive it like you stole it" on the rental car & you should be fine.

LOL.

Seriously, that's exactly what I was thinking too. My car is just as likely to be stolen with or without insurance, and it's not like it's worth a whole deal anyway.

So it's a simple matter of ringing the insurance company on Saturday morning and getting my insurance transferred over, once I know the car that I'll be getting from the car hire co.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LOL.

Seriously, that's exactly what I was thinking too. My car is just as likely to be stolen with or without insurance, and it's not like it's worth a whole deal anyway.

So it's a simple matter of ringing the insurance company on Saturday morning and getting my insurance transferred over, once I know the car that I'll be getting from the car hire co.

If your car isn't worth much then yeah transfer away, I'd assumed you had a car you would be worried about. Maybe ring your insurance co today and see if it costs extra to add another car/switch to another car. If you only have TPF&T you'll have to increase it to fully comp for the hire car, so it may be cheaper to take out insurance with the hire company.

Is your insurance co open on a Sat? If so then yeah that's all you have to do.

Sounds good. I have fully comp and I've transferred insurance before to a friend's car. (which my insurance company did for free - well done R&SA). I just never thought of doing it for a hire car.

Thanks everyone.

I would also do a pre-check that you can transfer to the type of car you are hiring. They can put a note on your policy so when you ring on Saturday there will be no commotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Also try www.carhire3000.ie also. I found them great both here and abroad. You'll be amazed at the prices. Even if you take their insurance, you'll find them cheaper.

Advertisement