Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer lingus A320 from Naples yesterday

Options
  • 20-10-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

I was on this flight yesterday the plane hit the runway trying to land and had to abort and go round again.
    It was windy but not that much!
    Is this a fairly normal occurance?
    The Pilot did come on and say that the wind was outside the limit
    Flying can be scary sometimes especialy when the wife keeps watching Air crash investigation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Yup happens quiet alot, Go arounds are common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

You should really have gone to a tabloid newspaper. Tell them of your terror, how the passengers screamed and cried. Explain how it plunged to Earth only to fly off again just in time to avert disaster all the while rocking in the fierce gale. (You have to use the word 'plunged' for effect.) How the pilots sounded terrified and the cabin crew were sobbing. How you thought your life was over and the note you wrote to your wife. You'd make a few quid.:D

Pretty standard fare for the newpapers. But just a go around, they happen! Most of mine are self induced. Haven't had many recently though. But on the only one where I was a passenger, no one was particularly bothered.

As for the wind being out of limits, well it doesn't have to very windy if it's straight across the runway. All aircraft have a crosswind limit.

This is the famous Lufthansa crosswind incident. Scary or wha!:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJeC2pxxbM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

I came in from Palma last night. Pretty rough landing, thought we'd have a go around until we touched down! it was dicey stuff and a lot of applause as we came to a stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it was a bit windy coming into Heathrow this morning, in fact i watched an Aer Lingus flight coming in around 8:30 and it was rocking quite a bit. They changed the runway after that one though.

there is no such thing as Turbulance, its the pilots breaking up the boredom of being on autopilot, come on chaps, own up, we all know you do it, wait until the tea gets served then bump the plane a bit :D

Pretty standard fare for the newpapers. But just a go around, they happen! Most of mine are self induced. Haven't had many recently though.

That remonds me of the old saying "When I doe I want to die in my sleep like my father, not kicking and screaming like his passengers" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I came in on a Aer Arran ATR yesterday , now that was exciting .

Indeed I also landed at Cork yesterday morning in an EI A321 and that was bumpy enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

This time of year when the weather is sh**e is when flying is most exciting

Air Crash Investigation is usually very ill-researched in many respects

It goes without saying flying is the safest mode of transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

[QUOTE=there is no such thing as Turbulance, its the pilots breaking up the boredom of being on autopilot, come on chaps, own up, we all know you do it, wait until the tea gets served then bump the plane a bit :D[/QUOTE]

Shhhh............. stop giving away our secrets :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

A good landing is any one you can walk away from. Get her down hard and safe rather then floating down the runway.

pclancy wrote: »
    A good landing is any one you can walk away from. Get her down hard and safe rather then floating down the runway.

You sound like Lord Flasheart:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Lol havent thought about him in years!

"Am I pleased to see you, or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

+1 for making all aircraft have tail hooks and Airport runways be shortened to Aircraft Carrier length runways with arrestor gear, now thats a fun landing.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Ah Lord Flasheart, a truly great pilot. 'Why are aeroplanes like women? Because you jump into their cockpit twice a day and take them to heaven and back'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Runway 28 was in use for most of the afternoon on Sunday with a strong crosswind from the southwest. The landings I saw were all pretty entertaining.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Steyr wrote: »
    Yup happens quiet alot, Go arounds are common.

Go arounds are not uncommon. In windy conditions pax may not even notice it if its early. However this was a 'touch and go' which for pax would seem like something from Air Crash. Am sure they were very afriad. Have to ask,how was the communication from the cabin crew or flight crew?

Personally I would have loved to be crew on that flight........many cabin crew have a masochistic view of crosswinds. Have only had 2 touch and go's in 10 years. Wake turbulence after take off can be quite cool as well.

Turbulence is not as welcome as we may spill our tea or be unable to snooze!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Actually,,,this is a Baulked landing........touch and gos are intentional, and go arounds occur preferable before runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

yaeger wrote: »
    Actually,,,this is a Baulked landing........touch and gos are intentional, and go arounds occur preferable before runway.

Touch and Go would be a term more used in training flights and test flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I've had five go arounds.

Two in a row trying to land in a typhoon in Singapore (the pilot eventually gave up and flew to Malaysia). People were white with terror.

Three in a row on another flight in the US. Turned out afterwards we were doing fly-bys of the tower so that the tower could inspect the undercarriage, as most of our tyres had burst on takeoff. When we landed we were surrounded by fire trucks. The pilot lied to us the whole time of course and told us there was a cross wind, he only let on afterwards... Many people (including myself) knew he was lying at the time though, because it was beautiful weather and the airport we were landing at had runways in multiple directions. I was never on a plane so quiet.

Aer Lingus pilots are pretty good, well, at least the ones flying into Cork. They always get it down in one go, when Ryanair would probably have diverted somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Aer Lingus pilots are pretty good, well, at least the ones flying into Cork. They always get it down in one go, when Ryanair would probably have diverted somewhere else.

Please tell me you are joking? Ryanair pilots equally as good as Aer Lingus pilots. Just because it is a budget airline doesn't mean they skimp on training.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

yaeger wrote: »

I did not know that. I used touch and go as I know this is the term they use during the testing period of an airframe.

Thanks for the correction. Us hosties are a simple bunch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Please tell me you are joking? Ryanair pilots equally as good as Aer Lingus pilots. Just because it is a budget airline doesn't mean they skimp on training.

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a guy who knows someone, that ryanair choose a passenger at random to pilot their planes. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

AHEM!!

I can assure you good sir that we are equally as good if not 50 times better at landing our aircraft than those bus drivers at aer finglas.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

noblestee wrote: »
    I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of a guy who knows someone, that ryanair choose a passenger at random to pilot their planes. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D Definately not true. It wouldn't be free. There would be a charge attached to that at Ryanair!! Maybe that would be an idea for a prize on the scratch cards!!;):P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I thought Ryanair pilots had that 'little' incentive to do slightly better considering they pay for their own training. Well...I think they do.........

damo wrote: »
    AHEM!!

I can assure you good sir that we are equally as good if not 50 times better at landing our aircraft than those bus drivers at aer finglas.

Thank you very much.

Please. Please, Please, can i ask a favour.

when we land, the first thing us passengers do is look at our watches, something which we have been doing for the previous hour. We theefore know if the plane has landed on time.

There is absolutely no need, none, zilch, zero, to play that jingle. That one jingle could singlehandedly be responsible for serious air rage whilst taxiing to stand.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Please. Please, Please, can i ask a favour.

when we land, the first thing us passengers do is look at our watches, something which we have been doing for the previous hour. We theefore know if the plane has landed on time.

There is absolutely no need, none, zilch, zero, to play that jingle. That one jingle could singlehandedly be responsible for serious air rage whilst taxiing to stand.:D

No problem ill pass the message on to Micko and see what can be done!

Advertisement