Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Good Starter Model Plane

Options
  • 20-10-2008 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

I have absolutely no clue about model planes, so I am hoping you can share your expertise with me. :o

I would like to buy my Fiance a good starter remote control model plane for Christmas. I can afford up to €500 for the right model. The only criteria would be that it doesnt fall apart the first time its crashed (as he is a novice). Are there any particular models that would be recommended by this forum?

Also, is there anywhere in particular you would recommend to purchase it, either online or in the Dublin area?

Many thanks!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi,

Well, if you don't want it to fall apart at the first crash, that will be hard to find :p

Anyway, you can avoid wooden models, and go for Elapor/EPP (kind of foam, really tough one.. That bounce, but that is not unbreakable... But that is really really easy to repair if needed !)

Lots of choice for 500 euros and less, but the best advice would be to join a club at some stage, they are not toys, and you need to learn how to fly them.

Fred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bluerosebright

Thanks Fred,

He is hoping to join a club but would like his own plane to bring along to it. Thanks for the advice - much appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Electric would be good for a beginner. Nitro is the other alternative and is alot of work with a steep learning curve.

With electric all you have to do is charge the batteries and it will work every time.

I'm sure coolwings will be able to recommend a model from his store with some decent gear. ie. Radio, Battery charger etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

If I can recommend one from our shop...:rolleyes:

http://www.islandmodels.ie/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage_new/product_id,412/category_id,17/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

200 euros, everything to get started. Check other websites/forum for comments about this plane, but basically, that is one of the best you can find for beginners :)

But, if I may, what I would do, is buy the plane, and buy another radio...

The pack above, as it is is really good, but I found the radio sort of limited...
    For a bit more money, I'll go for the plane (66 euros or a Mentor at 119euros, but you need a motor package that goes with...), a good decent radio (that will be for his future models, worth the investment I think, as he will not need to upgrade it later...190 euros for the transmitter, receiver and servos) and to finish, add battery and charger for the plane, that's around 100~150 euros...)
    That's a more expensive option, still in budget, but that's also an investment for future planes !

Up to you, if you think he will continue in the hobby :)

By the way, the shop show no stock at the moment, but that has been ordered and should be back soon in stock (that package/plane sells quickly).

In my list, I would add the Mentor, Pico-cub and Easyglider as good beginner models, the Mentor being really good and certainly one of my favourite is that category..

If you have any questions,

Fred

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi Bluerosebright

You will have a good amount of change out of your budget amount, and still have very high quality gear.

If nitro is selected a model flying club will be essential, since the model will require a runway to take off and land on, and these are at the club locations.
    If electric is selected, you may get a smaller model, for less cost, or you may get an electric the same size as nitro, for similar cost to nitro engine models.
    Flying lessons are free at clubs, (after you join up!) but they probably not necessary if you get the right electric model to begin with.

Most "newbies" want a nitro plane (before they fully investigate the matter).
    But electric is easier to get started with by a big margin. And therefore more electric flyers finish learning how to fly properly. So same as Fred above, I suggest starting with electric at first.
    Although after learning how to fly, most flyers then get a model of the other type too! We like to have more than one plane later on.
    ...The only criteria would be that it doesnt fall apart the first time its crashed (as he is a novice) ...
    Toy airplanes are cheaper, but when they break, you throw it all out. Model airplanes are more costly, but when you break it, you fix it, buy new parts, or move the internal gear into the next model. So with models we buy new airframes (empty aircraft) to put our old internal gear into. This is why the more costly (at first) real model planes are far cheaper overall.
    Unfortunately, all the toy planes say "model aircraft" on the box!
    ... is there anywhere in particular you would recommend to purchase it, either online or in the Dublin area? ...
    The Dublin model shops are : The Model Centre,Capel Street no website.
    Southside: Green Hobby & Model, website www.greenhobbymodel.com, 01 4928776

Good model shops will discuss it at length and help choose suitable gear to suit where you live, and are planning to fly (eg issues like: on west Irish coast it is 20% windier, so different models are better than on east coast, or eg gliders work best in mountains or coasts than inland)
    ...He is hoping to join a club but would like his own plane to bring along to it ...
    The shops will suggest a club (if necessary) - and recommend one where the members fly similar type models to what you get. Going to the wrong club otherwise can be a negative experience. (Imagine going to the Harley Davidson motorcycle club on your Yamaha, and the reception you get). So the odd little things count, and the model professionals are well on top of that.

I did not recommend any particular model, but there are several that have proven to be good here. Also: if a shop says "wind resistant" pay attention. We are in one of the windiest countries in the world, and this matters very much to how a model plane flies, or doesn't fly.

I hope this helps answer your questions. But feel free to ask if you would like to know anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

If I can recommend one from our shop...:rolleyes:

Assumed you weren't going to recommend seeing as you didn't in your first post. Sorry! Wasn't very fair.

Advertisement