Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

shels4ever wrote: »
    Well if he coatch thinks it would be of long term benifit then might be something to think about .

Aye, but he's a coach, not my coach!

Week 33, Day 1:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    60 min steady run
    Stretching
    3x10 Circuit (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off)

Calves still a bit tight when walking around but ok when I run, surprised they are loosening out so slowly.

Week 33, Day 2:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    45 min steady hill run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 40+60)
    Moving plank exercise (3 reps)
    60 back extensions (2 variations 30+30)

I'm attaching a rough schedule for the next few weeks (currently I'm on Week 12 on the attached spreadsheet).

Week 33, Day 3:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    50 min steady run
    4 x 100m sprints (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)

Week 33, Day 4:

Rest
    Regular icing

Week 33, Day 5:

Rest
    Regular icing

Week 33, Day 6:

AM
    15 min jog

PM
    20 min jog

Hurt the outside of my upper calf on my Wednesday run. Wasn't real bad so kept going and did my sprints after. But when I got into the car to drive home it tightened up quickly. Was proper sore. Iced it regularly in work all day Thursday and Friday. Jogged on it a bit today. Still quite tight but nice to be able to get out on it.

Week 33, Day 7

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    30 minute jog

Went over to watch the Leinster Seniors yesterday. Was meant to be running them but have to take it easy for the moment. Got my Nike Skylon II trainers in the post on Friday. They're nice, fit well and seem a lot less chunky than the previous model.

• Advertisement

Week 34, Day 1:

AM
    35 minute jog

PM
    Sports massage

Just easy runs prescribed for the rest of the week.

Week 34, Day 2:

AM
    40 minute jog

PM
    30 minute easy run

Got my Asics Gel Cumulus 10 and my DS Trainers in the post yesterday. The toe-box of the Cumulus seems very wide. I also got a lend of a double bass for a few weeks so looks like fun times ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

is it your achilles thats at you too? aside from taking it easier and strenghtening exercises are you doing much else to help?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    is it your achilles thats at you too? aside from taking it easier and strenghtening exercises are you doing much else to help?

My most recent problem was high in my calf muscle. Hopefully it's well on the mend now but I've to take it easy for a few more days to play it safe. Don't really have any advice about the achilles I'm afraid...

thanks. hope it clears up fully for you soon.

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

cfitz wrote: »
    Went over to watch the Leinster Seniors yesterday.

Were these run in conjunction with the Masters? And are the results anywhere? One of our lads won a race but I can't find the results to be able to do a report. Cheers.

Were these run in conjunction with the Masters? And are the results anywhere? One of our lads won a race but I can't find the results to be able to do a report. Cheers.

Aye, they were. Haven't seen any results anywhere. A lad called Ciaran Doyle usually does them for Leinster events I think. If you need his contact details let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I've heard they will eventually turn up on the Athletics Leinster site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Aye, they were. Haven't seen any results anywhere. A lad called Ciaran Doyle usually does them for Leinster events I think. If you need his contact details let me know.

Ah sure I can just wait, just thought maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Will they be on the athletics leinster site if they do get published?

Ah sure I can just wait, just thought maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Will they be on the athletics leinster site if they do get published?

I expect so, sometimes they're up very quickly, other times it could be a while.

Week 34, Day 3:

AM
    30 minute jog

PM
    40 minute easy run

I'm saving for something that I can't justify spending my wages on. I'm 65 EUR short - anyone got any ideas of how I might raise 65 euro?! My normal potential money-making skills would be:
    Software Development
    Search Engine Optimisatision
    Web Development
    General IT Support
    Electric Bass performance

Thanks!

Week 34, Day 4:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute easy run
    Stretching

Week 34, Day 5:

Rest day

Week 34, Day 7:

70 minute easy run
    Stretching

Week 34, Day 6:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute easy run
    Stretching

Week 35, Day 1:

45 minute run (15 warm-up, 20 hard, 10 warm-down)
    Stretching

Lovely day for running around my usual flat 850m grass lap. Times were as follows:

Lap 1: 4:03
    Lap 2: 3:53
    Lap 3: 3:47
    Lap 4: 3:33
    Lap 5: 3:08
    Lap 6: 3:05
    Lap 7: 3:04
    Lap 8: 2:59
    Lap 9: 2:56
    Lap 10: 2:58

Lap 11: 3:31
    Lap 12: 4:17
    Finish: 3:42

Week 35, Day 2:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minute run
    Stretching

• Advertisement

Week 35, Day 3:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute steady run
    4 x 100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)
    Stretching

Did this around the town and didn't enjoy it at all. Going to the track today though.

Week 35, Day 4:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    4 x 600m with 50m jog recovery (1:49, 1:52, 1:52, 1:52)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Tartan track. Nice night but quite a gusty wind some of the time. Target time was 1:51.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Week 35, Day 4:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    4 x 600m with 50m jog recovery (1:49, 1:52, 1:52, 1:52)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Tartan track. Nice night but quite a gusty wind some of the time. Target time was 1:51.

good running your times are very good keep up the good work looking back over your bit of your log am looking foward to your updates

Week 35, Day 5:

Rest day

Week 35, Day 6:

70 minute easy run
    Stretching

Week 35, Day 7:

45 minute hard run
    Stretching

Hot day with barely a breeze. Ran with a friend for the second half of his 70 minute run. Around my usual flat 850m grass lap. Great to have some company, made it feel easier - was able to chat a bit even though I was going faster than usual on this run. Times were as follows:

Lap 1: 3:20
    Lap 2: 3:16
    Lap 3: 3:13
    Lap 4: 3:10
    Lap 5: 3:12
    Lap 6: 3:07
    Lap 7: 3:04
    Lap 8: 3:08
    Lap 9: 3:08
    Lap 10: 3:05
    Lap 11: 3:02
    Lap 12: 3:05
    Lap 13: 3:03
    Lap 14: 3:02
    Finish: 1:00 (Total distance 12.15km approx.)

Week 36, Day 1:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute steady run
    4 x 100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)
    Stretching

Well did you race last night? I was out watching and it looked like a great race to be involved in.

Well did you race last night? I was out watching and it looked like a great race to be involved in.

Yep, will put up my report now.

Week 36, Day 2:

12 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    10 min warm-down jog

Didn't feel too lively at all. Managed to loosen out a bit on the last few strides. Scorcher of an evening.

Week 36, Day 3:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    3000m RACE (9:16.32 PB)
    20 min warm-down jog (approx.)
    Stretching

My friend's Mam gave us a lift to Irishtown for the IMC 3000m. Was a lovely hot day and we were well ready to get out of the car and stretch our legs by the time we got to the stadium. Usually I'd do 12 minutes warm-up jog and pick it up for the last two minutes. I had my friend with me though, so I just went with the flow and did 15 minutes easy. It was really warm, so we did our strides along the only part of the track that was sheltered by the clubhouse. Just jogged and did some easy strides mostly and the odd drill. 10 minutes before the race I left the shade, put on my spikes, and did some faster strides.

The start line was packed, I was on the outside stagger because I was listed in the B category. Myself and another guy were actually behind the start line coz there wasn't enough room for everyone. As usual, the plan was to do 74 second laps the whole way which is 9:15 pace. I also wanted to do laps 3, 5, and 6 quickly because I've lost concentration on those occasionally in the past.

First lap was 72, then 74, just tried to keep my head on lap 3 coz I was ahead of pace, did it in 75. My 1500 split was called at 4:38 by a local coach and it seemed to spring me into action. Didn't get my 1600 split, but I ran the next lap very hard, went through 2000 in 6:07/6:08. When I started to struggle a bit on the next lap I was a little bit worried I might blow it. Somewhere around the time I picked it up I passed a few people so that helped me on. I can't remember my next split, maybe 7:26. Tried to push it on for the last lap, got going a bit with 300m to go, heard 8:42 for my last split. Wasn't really willing to spend too long doing the maths but I figured I had a good shot at beating my PB of 9:19. Tried to keep pushing to the line and I was delighted when I eventually saw the official results with 9:16.32.

The support at the race was great, great atmosphere, everyone seemed to want everyone else to run well and get fast times. My friend won the race (with a big PB) too, so there was a good buzz on the way home in the car!

well done, super performance as i know you had been struggling with injury and doing alot of easy jogging.

• Advertisement

When I heard the time Linda Byrne ran I knew that if you were in there you got a PB. I think I know how you are now from my pictures!

It was a great atmosphere out there, everyone in that 3000m race seemed to have a great race. Well done

Advertisement