Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

well done on the Pb sounds like a good race. Next stop sub 9:10 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

nicely done. Still early enough in the season to knock a big chunk off that time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

cfitz wrote: »
    Week 36, Day 2:

12 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    10 min warm-down jog

Didn't feel too lively at all. Managed to loosen out a bit on the last few strides. Scorcher of an evening.

Funnily enough, for many of my best races I've felt sluggish like this on the day before the race and even during the warm up...

PS ignore pm about splits, just saw the report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fantastic results , great report detail , well done .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

shels4ever wrote: »
    well done on the Pb sounds like a good race. Next stop sub 9:10 ?

Not sure what the next target is yet. There's a few more 3000m races over the next few weeks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats and from following your log it seems to be well deserved.

On the Linda Byrne front, I passed her on the road last week(she was coming towards me,I'm not that quick :D) and was carrying a bag on her back that looked like it was about twice her weight but yet she was bouncing so comfortably, perked me up for the rest of my run.

Week 36, Day 4:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute steady run
    Stretching

Week 36, Day 5:

Rest day
    Sports massage

Week 36, Day 6:

70 minute easy run
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)
    20 back extensions (2 variations 10+10)

Week 36, Day 7:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    4 x 300m with 3 min jog recovery (50, 51, 51 approx, 50)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)

First day to do proper fast stuff (for me!). Thought I might be a bit quicker, but happy enough for my first day out. Watch didn't start for me on the third rep but I think it was about 51.

Week 37, Day 1:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute steady run
    4 x 100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)
    Stretching

Week 37, Day 2:

12 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    10 min warm-down jog

Week 37, Day 3:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    3000m RACE (9:26.89, 12th)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Race was in Irishtown on a hot evening. Drove up myself in plenty of time. Everything went ok in the warm-up etc but didn't feel that great on the starting line. Probably went through the first 200m in about 35 seconds, felt like I was going too fast. Didn't stray too far off my intended splits for the first half of the race but faded and faded towards the end. Splits were as follows:

400 71
    800 2:27 (75)
    1200 3:43 (75)
    1600 4:58 (75)
    2000 6:16 (77)
    2400 7:35 (79)
    2800 8:52 (77)
    3000 9:26 (33)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Good run man, U ran most of it on your own and thats not easy. And u caught your man in the end. Fair play

A bit close to your last race I'd say, especially with those 300s in between the 2.

A bit close to your last race I'd say, especially with those 300s in between the 2.

I find it can be hard to sort out what sessions to run around your races. The races only come up when they come up so you don't have complete freedom. I have the rest of my races pretty much picked though so hopefully I can come good between now and the end of the season.

welldone , how did you feel for the second half of the race , you splits were down a little ?

Seres wrote: »
    welldone , how did you feel for the second half of the race , you splits were down a little ?

I was able to hit the splits early in the race coz it was early in the race if you know what I mean - I didn't really feel like I was going to be able to keep the pace I was just hoping. There was a guy a few seconds ahead of me and I wanted to catch him on the 5th lap so that I'd have a race on my hands but I couldn't close the ground. I caught him near the end but my time was pretty much out the window at that stage.

In that case I would tend to just pick one of the two races. But if I had to run the two, I wouldn't do anything too fast in between other than strides. Depending on the overall plan, but I might do a shortened type of session at a well controlled pace between the 2, probably on the Sunday. Maybe a short tempo or a few intervals, with a small bit of work at race pace - 3 200s or something, with long recoveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

What 3000s are coming up? I know there's another one in the Graded in two weeks. Anything else besides?

bo-sco wrote: »
    What 3000s are coming up? I know there's another one in the Graded in two weeks. Anything else besides?

Graded 3000 15 July
    Graded 3000 5 August
    BHAA 3000 12 August

Please correct me if any of these have changed.

Week 37, Day 4:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute steady run
    Stretching
    Circuit (2 x 8 exercises, 30 seconds on 30 seconds off)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

cfitz wrote: »
    Graded 3000 15 July
    Graded 3000 5 August
    BHAA 3000 12 August

Please correct me if any of these have changed.

There should hopefully be an IMC 3000m smack bang in the middle of the two Graded - Saturday 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

There should hopefully be an IMC 3000m smack bang in the middle of the two Graded - Saturday 25th.

Great. Thanks for that. Trying to plan my next few weeks.

Week 37, Day 5:

Rest day

Week 37, Day 6:

70 minute easy run
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)
    Some core exercises

Week 37, Day 7:

25 min jog

PM
    45 min steady (small hills)
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)

Did this run on the 1.5 mile grass loop where I was doing most of my runs until I got hurt. So for the moment, this qualifies as my hill run. Got in to a nice rhythm and felt good.

Week 38, Day 1:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute steady run
    Stretching
    Circuit (2 x 9 exercises, 30 seconds on 30 seconds off)

Circumstances meant that I started my 60 minute run in the Curragh at 10:30pm. I've never trained there before and it got very dark, but I'd say it's great during the day.

Week 38, Day 2:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    Visit to osteopath
    45 min hard run
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)

Nice breezy day running on my usual flat 850m grass loop. Felt fairly relaxed even though I was going fast for the first 30 minutes. Last 15 minutes weren't so comfortable. Pretty happy with how fast I went though! Lap times were as follows:

Lap 1: 3:22
    Lap 2: 3:17
    Lap 3: 3:11
    Lap 4: 3:09
    Lap 5: 3:02
    Lap 6: 3:00
    Lap 7: 2:59
    Lap 8: 2:57
    Lap 9: 2:58
    Lap 10: 2:56
    Lap 11: 2:59
    Lap 12: 2:56
    Lap 13: 2:57
    Lap 14: 2:56
    To finish 45:00 (total distance: 12.5km approx.)

Week 38, Day 3:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    15 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Week 38, Day 4:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    1500m RACE (4:26.4, 1st)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Found out about this 1500m race on Tuesday evening just after my hard run. Was due to do 6x300m on Thursday, but there's a shortage of 1500m races on my calendar so I decided to jump into this one. I've had a busy week, so did my strides late on Wednesday night but felt good on them.

My stomach wasn't great at lunch time on Thursday so I drank lots of Lucozade Sport and Water during the afternoon. When I got to the venue my warm-up jog seemed to help and I felt fine heading in to the track. I did some jogging and some drills to loosen my hamstrings but before long I could feel liquid swishing in my belly! I tried to jog it off by jogging between strides and drills but it wasn't working, so I went outside and did about 1200m starting slow and finishing more quickly and I think this helped a bit.

I was hoping to break my PB of 4:21. My unusual warm-up might have thrown me off a little bit or something. Anyway, most of the guys in the race were in my club and I figured I should win it. So I went to the front before the first bend and tried to keep it quick but relaxed for the first lap. I was aiming for steady 69 second laps for the whole race. Split was called at 70 so I tried to keep it pushed on and had at least one guy following closely. Next split was called at 2:21 I think, and I still had someone close behind. I was feeling ok so I tried to push it on again. Seemed to open up a small gap with 550m to go. Final split was called at about 3:32. Tried to keep pushing down the back straight, was able to pick it up a little when I hit the bottom bend and felt I was going clear. Wasn't able to push it on as much as I expected on the home straight, but it was nice to get the win.

My finishing time was 4:26.4. Looking at the splits that suggests I slowed down a little for the final 300m which seems unlikely, so maybe I was more like 3:33 hitting my final split.

Week 38, Day 5:

Sports massage
    70 minute easy run
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)
    Some core exercises

Week 38, Day 6:

Rest day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on clocking up another win; particularly as it was unexpected/out of the blue. Without the hard run the day before, you'll kill your PB.

well done on the race , cant imagine it was easy with a belly full of liquid either !

Week 38, Day 7:

35 minutes (10 warm-up, 25 hard)
    Stretching

Week 39, Day 1:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute steady run
    4 x Strides (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)
    Stretching

Splits for the 35 minute run were (850m lap approx.):
    Lap 1: 4:05
    Lap 2: 3:52
    Lap 3: 3:25
    Lap 4: 3:06
    Lap 5: 3:09
    Lap 6: 3:09
    Lap 7: 3:11
    Lap 8: 3:09
    Lap 9: 3:07
    Lap 10: 3:02

To finish 35:00

• Advertisement

Week 39, Day 2:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    15 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Week 39, Day 3:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    3000m RACE (9:13.27 PB, 19th)
    21 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Bit of a wet day but nice and mild with no wind. No rain in the evening and track was fine for my race, so great weather-wise. Schedule was running late from very early on so it was hard to judge when to warm up. When I went to put on my gear I'd left my pins behind so I had to pluck up the courage to ask the great Mark Kenneally :) for his as he had just finished his mile race and was the only fella in the dressing room. He kindly obliged.

I didn't realise there were so many 800s, so when I was out jogging in the park and heard all the races starting I was getting a bit worried. Near the end of my warm-up jog I actually thought I might have missed it and dashed back in, turns out there were a good few more races to follow before mine. Did some strides and jogging behind the stand and was feeling ok. Went out on the track and did a bit more then got into my singlet and spikes. Mark Kenneally decided to jump into my race too but luckily he didn't need his pins back. Kept moving in the spikes and was starting to feel good.

The start line was packed and for some reason a few of us weren't on the check-in list - so we had to write out our details on the sheet there and then! It was a staggered start and I was on the outside stagger. Aim was to do 73 second laps. I placed myself at the back of the group, at 200m it was quite quick but I felt ok. Went through 400 in 71, I was feeling fine and I was still on the end of the group so I decided I'd race it rather than just thinking about splits. I slowed slightly on the next few laps but I was still on schedule and I was moving up through the field a little bit and feeling great. Went through 1500 in 4:33/34.

Things got tougher for the second half of the race but I still felt good and was in a fairly nice rhythm. I'd slowed a little and my last two lap splits were 7:24 and 8:39. Tried to really give it my best for the last 200m. Was delighted to get a PB (found out this morning that it was 9:13.27) and maybe it's a good sign that it felt so comfortable.

Was warming down in the park after the race and some other runners warned me that there were fellas with a loose dog setting it on passers by - so I stayed well clear. Wouldn't have been a pleasant way to end the night!

Advertisement