Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

well done on the pb, sometimes i think your better of racing rather then working on splits all the time :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Nicely done. Have you many 3ks left ? If so what time would you like to run before the track season ends ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Congrats on the the pb cfitz.

Is the long term plan to get under 9 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

I wasn't too far behind you! Took 16 seconds off my PB even though I came second last in the race (22nd). Delighted with myself to be honest. I ran the last 3000 race in Irishtown from the front all on my own, was just thinking about keeping it steady. So much easier (and harder!) last night chasing people.

Was glad Mark Kenneally didn't lap me. It was a close run thing. I could feel him coming as I came up to the bell!

Well done on your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

shels4ever wrote: »
    well done on the pb, sometimes i think your better of racing rather then working on splits all the time :) .

Cheers. Yeah I think so too. I'd say for a lot of people it's the battle element of the race that brings the best out of them.

• Advertisement

Nicely done. Have you many 3ks left ? If so what time would you like to run before the track season ends ?

Looks like I've 2 left. Don't really want to pick a target time...

Congrats on the the pb cfitz.

Is the long term plan to get under 9 minutes?

Thanks. I didn't get to see your race this time - sounds like you made it tough on yourself from your race report! I'm not sure what my long term plans are. I think I usually look to cross-country more when I'm thinking long term.

bo-sco wrote: »
    I wasn't too far behind you! Took 16 seconds off my PB even though I came second last in the race (22nd). Delighted with myself to be honest. I ran the last 3000 race in Irishtown from the front all on my own, was just thinking about keeping it steady. So much easier (and harder!) last night chasing people.

Was glad Mark Kenneally didn't lap me. It was a close run thing. I could feel him coming as I came up to the bell!

Well done on your PB.

Cheers. 16 second PB is huge, good work!

Week 39, Day 4:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute steady run
    Stretching
    Circuit (2 x 10 exercises, 30 seconds on 30 seconds off)

Had to change one of my exercises mid circuit coz my left shoulder couldn't handle it (I hurt it sailing about a week ago and it's still quite sore).

Forgot to put up my splits from the race the other night. Here's how I remember them but they might not all be right:

400: 71
    800: 2:24 (73)
    1200: 3:39 (75)
    1600: 4:54 (75)
    2000: 6:07 (73)
    2400: 7:24 (77)
    2800: 8:39 (75)
    3000: 9:13.27 (34)

Also, 1km was 3:00, and 1500 was 4:33/34.

Week 39, Day 5:

Rest day

Week 39, Day 6:

70 minute easy run
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)
    20 back extensions (2 variations 10+10)
    Some core exercises

Week 39, Day 7:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    6 x 300m with 3 min jog recovery (49, 50, 49, 48, 48, 49)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)

Happy with my session, felt like I controlled my pace well.

• Advertisement

Week 40, Day 1:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute steady run
    Stretching
    Circuit (3 x 8 exercises, 30 seconds on 30 seconds off)

Week 40, Day 2:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    45 minute steady run on small hills
    Stretching
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)

High up on my left hamstring got a bit sore after doing my circuits on Monday (my lack of balance on the lunges is a bit freaky), so I've iced it a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

havent read your log in a while , well done on the pb , whats that off your old time ?

Seres wrote: »
    havent read your log in a while , well done on the pb , whats that off your old time ?

Thanks. My PB coming into this year was 9:19. I ran 9:16.32 towards the end of June, and I ran 9:13.27 on the 15th of July.

Week 10, Day 3:

50 minute steady run
    Stretching
    4 x 100m (roll in 30m sprint 40m roll out 30m)
    10 press-ups
    Plank (10 breaths)

Ran at lunch time and for some reason my stomach wasn't feeling good at all. Most interesting thing about the run was that I saw a bird flying above that was one of the biggest birds I've ever seen - like the size of a seagull except he seemed to be more brown in colour, wonder what it was...

Week 40, Day 4:

Rest day
    Sports massage

Week 40, Day 5:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    15 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Week 40, Day 6:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    1500m RACE (4:18.56 PB)
    22 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Slept in on Saturday morning then just watched the Tour de France and a bit of Crystal Palace before my friend's dad collected me to go to Dublin for the IMC meet. The top of my left hamstring has been tight for the last few days so I was aware of it while warming up - it wasn't bothering me but after my jog when I was doing my strides on the track I was a bit nervous doing my drills. This race was probably going to be my last 1500 of the year, so it was hard to be relaxed before it but I tried.

At the start line Gareth Coughlan said he was going to run 67 second laps. So I figured if I just stayed back off him that might suit. My plan was to do 69 second laps, just pushing each lap a bit harder than the last one to make sure I didn't slow up. When the gun went I got on to the back of the group but I was feeling good after the first 200m and I pushed on past a few people - the excitement of the race perhaps getting to me. I stayed just back from Gareth as we went through 400. I got 66 so he must have been going a bit fast. Maybe I should have backed off a bit here, but easing up in a race isn't always a great idea so I tried to keep my momentum. The fast pace seemed to catch up with me a bit after 600m but I was still feeling ok. I think it was around here that I got passed by a few guys.

Races are often a bit of a blur when I try to remember them after. I think I basically just kept pushing on from here til 200m to go. My splits were something like 2:16 and 3:26/27. With 200 to chased down a guy ahead to me, I was moving pretty quick at this stage, felt like I kind of lost control of my stride a bit as I passed him. I can't remember, but I think maybe I passed another guy before the finish. Tried to keep it pushed on til the end to get a decent time. Was very happy with my new PB.

My hamstring tightened up a bit after the race and I iced it when I got home.

Week 40, Day 7:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minute steady run
    Stretching
    8 press-ups
    Plank (8 breaths)
    20 back extensions (2 variations 8+12)

Iced the hamstring a few times during the day.

well done on the pb , racing seems to be going well , whats your target time for the 1500m or do you have one ?

well done on the pb , racing seems to be going well , whats your target time for the 1500m or do you have one ?

Thanks. That's probably my last 1500m race this year. I'd love to have another shot at it but I'll probably stick to the plan.

cfitz wrote: »
    Thanks. That's probably my last 1500m race this year. I'd love to have another shot at it but I'll probably stick to the plan.
    whats the plan going forward , longer distances ? will you start training for x country season soon ?

Current plan is two more track races then a short break, then back into training and building up some mileage for the cross-country season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Week 40, Day 4:

Rest day
    Sports massage

Week 40, Day 5:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    15 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Week 40, Day 6:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    1500m RACE (4:18.56 PB)
    22 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Slept in on Saturday morning then just watched the Tour de France and a bit of Crystal Palace before my friend's dad collected me to go to Dublin for the IMC meet. The top of my left hamstring has been tight for the last few days so I was aware of it while warming up - it wasn't bothering me but after my jog when I was doing my strides on the track I was a bit nervous doing my drills. This race was probably going to be my last 1500 of the year, so it was hard to be relaxed before it but I tried.

At the start line Gareth Coughlan said he was going to run 67 second laps. So I figured if I just stayed back off him that might suit. My plan was to do 69 second laps, just pushing each lap a bit harder than the last one to make sure I didn't slow up. When the gun went I got on to the back of the group but I was feeling good after the first 200m and I pushed on past a few people - the excitement of the race perhaps getting to me. I stayed just back from Gareth as we went through 400. I got 66 so he must have been going a bit fast. Maybe I should have backed off a bit here, but easing up in a race isn't always a great idea so I tried to keep my momentum. The fast pace seemed to catch up with me a bit after 600m but I was still feeling ok. I think it was around here that I got passed by a few guys.

Races are often a bit of a blur when I try to remember them after. I think I basically just kept pushing on from here til 200m to go. My splits were something like 2:16 and 3:26/27. With 200 to chased down a guy ahead to me, I was moving pretty quick at this stage, felt like I kind of lost control of my stride a bit as I passed him. I can't remember, but I think maybe I passed another guy before the finish. Tried to keep it pushed on til the end to get a decent time. Was very happy with my new PB.

My hamstring tightened up a bit after the race and I iced it when I got home.

Well done on yet another Pb , nice season yoru having. So one more 3k pb on the cards this summer? :)

Current plan is two more track races then a short break, then back into training and building up some mileage for the cross-country season.
    have you a race program set up for xcountry season ? , what race distances will you be doing ? what sort of break do you take ? and do you jump right into 6 days a week training after the break ? sorry for all the questions , just a little curious :o

Haven't really got much worked out for the cross-country season yet Seres. I'm going travelling for a few months starting in September, so I want to talk to my coach and see what's the best way of going about things. Normally I'd take 2 full weeks off at the end of the track season. This year I'm considering taking 1 full week and then doing one really light week (maybe jogging every second day or something). I'm not sure how quickly I'll get back to the six days (I think I usually get back into it quite quickly), it probably won't take too long coz I'm used to getting out 9 times per week now, but rushing it might not be a good idea either. My race distances will mostly be 10k especially coz I won't be around for some of the earlier races (Gerry Farnan 8k, National Novice 6k).

Week 41, Day 1:

30 minute steady run on small hills
    Stretching
    8 press-ups
    Plank (8 breaths)
    16 back extensions (2 variations 8+8)

Session timed out so this is my 2nd time writing this!

Week 41, Day 2

Rest day

Week 41, Day 3

55 min easy run

Week 41, Day 4

Rest day

Week 41, Day 5

Rest day

Week 41, Day 6

25 min jog

Week 41, Day 7

35 min run

Week 42, Day 1

AM
    15 min jog

PM
    35 min run
    4x100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m rolll-out)
    Stretching

Week 42, Day 2

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    15 min warm-down jog

Week 42, Day 3

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    3000m RACE (9:10.07 PB, 2nd)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

The top of my left hamstring got tighter last week so I took two days off in the hope that it would get better. Just jogged the next day. Next few days were easy but this fitted in fairly well with the original plan because of the race coming up on Wednesday. My right glute didn't feel very nice when I was doing my strides on Monday and Tuesday.

My wife kindly drove me to Irishtown for the Graded Meet 3000m. I did a 15 minute jog outside in the park then went back into the track to do some more jogging and some strides. Did a few strides and drills while the 'C' race was on and the plan was to put on the spikes and do some more strides while the 'B' race was on. I wasn't feeling brilliant at this stage. When the 'C' race ended the starters called the 'A' and 'B' race together - 12 minutes before the 'A' race was meant to start. I made a comment or two about it then started to change into my spikes. I made sure to take my time and not do anything silly. The starters were kind of giving out to me and making light of the situation at the same time, but I wasn't really in any humour for it. I might have looked like a bit of a git to the other runners waiting on the startline, but I still think it was inconsiderate to bring forward the race with very little warning.

Anyways, my heart rate seemed to be flying on the startline after all that drama. The plan was to run 72 second laps. The field seemed to be a bit weaker than other races I've ran recently, so I got in fairly near the front, maybe about 5th. I conciously kept it handy enough coz I knew I was wound up a bit by the messing before the race. Went through 400 in 72/73, so I pushed on a bit and we hit 800 in 2:24. I was a bit up and down through the field, and I'm not sure whether or not I hit the 3:36 for the 3rd lap. For the 4th lap I got 4:51/52 so I was off the pace a bit. I felt like my stride wasn't really comfortable during the race, like I was lifting my leg forward too far or something. I was at the back of a line of 5 runners at this stage so decided to get into the race to give myself some chance. So I moved right up to the leader, then I was surprised to find the pace at the front seemed to be slowing a little bit - so I took the race on. I got 6:06/07 for 2k (though I'm not sure whether this was before or after I took the lead) and 7:22 I think for 2400m. With 450m to go I could feel someone bearing down on me, and when he passed me, the next three runners all passed me too. By the time we hit the back straight there was a gap between the 4th guy and me. I think my brother said afterwards that it was a 2-second gap at 200m to go. The split there was 8:38, so I figured a PB was a strong possibility. I wound it up sharpish. I tried to stay relaxed as I came strong off the last bend. I went by the next few down the home straight and closed in 31 seconds to take 2nd place. Got a PB and felt like I was involved in a real race :) And getting 2nd in Grade A is pretty nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

You're certainly flying these days - congrats.

With regards to the timetable change. It was announced fairly early in the evening (just before 8 o'clock) but the PA system is so crap there that if you weren't lucky enough to be standing by a speaker when it was announced you wouldn't have heard. I heard it and had to tell the two lads from my club, who were only 20 metres away from me, about it as they couldn't hear the PA!

was wondering what had happened to log recently , but your quietly training away and improving , well done on 2nd spot and the pb , what was your overall time ?

was wondering what had happened to log recently , but your quietly training away and improving , well done on 2nd spot and the pb , what was your overall time ?

Thanks! Time was 9:10.07.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Great stuff Cfitz. Been a good season for you.

Cant understand why they dont just stick to the timetable. I can understand events being delayed, sometimes thats just unavoidable, but why put them forward? I know people volunteer to run this and they want to get home but surely for the sake of 10 minutes some consideration should be given to the athletes....and as Stupid Private said the PA system is pretty crap.:rolleyes:

Great run though and congrats on the 2nd place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

In fairness it was pretty obvious from the numbers registered that they would combine the two races. I was prepared for this before I even heard it announced. It makes sense anyway, no point in having two races of 4 or 5 people each. The graded meets are dependent on who turns up on the night so you have to be flexible and tailor your preparation to the circumstances on the night. I don't think that's too much to ask really. Well done on your PB. How do you know the official time? I'm waiting on the online results to see how I did.

Advertisement