Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

solid preformance especially for someone not really prepared , well done , sorry to hear bout puking at finish line can cause a bit of :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Back in Ireland now. Might try put up a summary of what I've done while I was away. But basically I'm just trying to get back in shape now. Ran six days last week and this week has been like this so far:

Sunday: 70 minutes easy, stretching
    Monday: 60 minutes easy, 4 x 100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out), stretching
    Tuesday: AM 25 minutes jog, PM 40 minutes easy, stretching
    Wednesday: 40 minutes steady, stretching

Plan for the rest of the week is something like this:

Thursday: Rest, sports massage
    Friday: 35 minutes hard
    Saturday: AM 25 minutes jog, PM 35 minutes easy, strides

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

good to have you back, hope you enjoyed the travels

Thursday 31 December 2009:

Sports massage
    Rest

Friday 1 January 2010:

35 minutes hard
    Stretching

Saturday 2 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minutes easy
    4 x 100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)
    Stretching

Sunday 3 January 2010:
    70 minutes easy
    Stretching

I seem to have a bit of a niggle in my left foot very similar to the injury that kept me out for a few months in 2008 (except this time it's my left foot). I'm trying to keep myself in good order this time, so I had to skip the county cross-country championships on Sunday. It was a shame to miss it but I haven't that much work done yet so a 10k race might not have been a lot of fun anyway.

• Advertisement

Monday 4 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minutes easy
    Stretching

Tuesday 5 January 2010:

40 minutes steady
    Stretching

hey cfitz , good to see you back fighting fit , best of luck for 2010

Seres wrote: »
    hey cfitz , good to see you back fighting fit , best of luck for 2010

Cheers Seres. This icy weather means no real wind or rain so it's nice to be out training. Looking forward to racing again. How about you, what's the current plan?

Wednesday 6 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minutes easy
    Stretching

It's cold on the ears these days when you've only got a peaked cap!

• Advertisement

cfitz wrote: »
    Cheers Seres. This icy weather means no real wind or rain so it's nice to be out training. Looking forward to racing again. How about you, what's the current plan?
    no plan for 2010 , things a bit up in the air at the moment , just getting out when i can , look forward to keeping up with your log again

Thursday 7 January 2010:

Rest

Friday 8 January 2010:

35 minutes hard
    Stretching

Saturday 9 January 2010:

45 minutes easy
    Stretching

PM
    25 minute jog

Switched my jog to the evening in case the weather got worse as the day went on. Prefer doing it the other way though coz the jog loosens my legs out for the proper run.

Sunday 10 January 2010:

70 minutes easy
    Stretching

Had an Indian take-away a few hours before this run and I was tasting it quite a bit on the way round. Not much fun at all. And the snow was too deep to run comfortably on it.

Monday 11 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    45 minutes easy
    Stretching

Was running with friends tonight so the time flew.

Tuesday 12 January 2010:

35 minutes hard
    Stretching

Awful conditions for training here today. Hail stones in the eyes on numerous occasions, not fun.

Wednesday 13 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minutes easy
    Stretching

Thursday 14 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minutes steady
    Stretching

Running with a friend again so very enjoyable. Does anyone else find that they seem to run way quicker with no extra effort when they're not running alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thursday 14 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minutes steady
    Stretching

Running with a friend again so very enjoyable. Does anyone else find that they seem to run way quicker with no extra effort when their not running alone?

It's so so much easier to run with someone then alone,

Friday 15 January 2010:

Rest day
    Sports massage

Saturday 16 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minutes easy
    Stretching

Thought my sore foot was on the mend, but for the past few days I've been getting occasional stinging darts on the inside of my arch. Not really sure what to do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Thought my sore foot was on the mend, but for the past few days I've been getting occasional stinging darts on the inside of my arch. Not really sure what to do...

Have you got good arch support in your runners? If not you might find this will help.

Worked for me but still get soreness when i wear spikes with less support.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Have you got good arch support in your runners? If not you might find this will help.

Worked for me but still get soreness when i wear spikes with less support.

All the runners I've been wearing are well worn out, and my orthotics are due to be re-cast. But I've an appointment for my re-cast this Thursday and also I went out and bought a pair of New Balance 1061 (50 EUR in Elverys) today before my run so hopefully that'll help.

Sunday 17 January 2010:

70 minutes easy
    Stretching

Current plan for the coming week is something like this:

Sun: 70 minutes easy
    Mon: AM 25 minute jog, PM 40 minutes easy, 4 x 100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)
    Tue: AM 25 minute jog, PM 35 minutes steady
    Wed: AM 25 minute jog, PM 35 minutes hard
    Thu: AM 25 minute jog, PM 40 minutes steady, 4 x 100m (30m roll-in, 40m sprint, 30m roll-out)
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 6 x 3 minutes with 2 minute recovery

Monday 18 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minutes easy
    Stretching

Tuesday 19 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minutes hard
    Stretching
    Visit to Osteopath

Osteopath fairly got in at my foot, reminded me of that dentist in Little Shop Of Horrors that loves inflicting pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Osteopath fairly got in at my foot, reminded me of that dentist in Little Shop Of Horrors that loves inflicting pain!

how do you find the osteopath compared to the physio? had a peroneal tendon injury during the summer which left my foot sore for about 4 weeks and wasnt too impressed with the physio i went to, prob just the one i went to. never considered going to an osteopath but might in future if need be (hopefully not)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    how do you find the osteopath compared to the physio? had a peroneal tendon injury during the summer which left my foot sore for about 4 weeks and wasnt too impressed with the physio i went to, prob just the one i went to. never considered going to an osteopath but might in future if need be (hopefully not)

It's hard to compare. Also, I think that the quality of the individual may be a bigger factor than which discipline they happen to follow.

For specific problems, I'd usually go to my Sports Massage person first coz she was a world class athlete herself so she seems to be good at picking out the likely causes of injury and also at advising on what running I should do when recovering.

My osteopath doesn't have a running background but the adjustments he makes seem to keep me in good working order most of the time.

Wednesday 20 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minutes steady
    Stretching

Running with my mate who's pretty quick so went well.

Thursday 21 January 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minutes steady
    Stretching

Got re-cast for my orthotics but will have to wait for 5 or 6 weeks until I get the new ones. She told me I should allow my plantar/arch to recover by cycling or swimming for the next 10 days to 3 weeks. Didn't really fit in with my plans...

Friday 22 January 2010:

Rest day

Saturday 23 January 2010:

20 minute warm-up jog
    Strides
    9km RACE cross-country (51st, 34:47)
    20 minute warm-down jog
    Stretching

Wanted to get an idea of where I was at before I was consigned to the bicycle. I was going to Antrim anyway, so I decided to run. Bit of a tough level for my first race in months but I enjoyed it and I wasn't left running on my own or anything. A good section of the course was like a quagmire and it was a struggle to get a good rhythm. Not really sure how I did, didn't take any scalps or anything but the competition was pretty decent and I haven't done any sessions yet.

Sunday 24 January 2010:

75 minutes cycling over the course of the day

Did a few short cycles during the day before I got some sort of puncture (a pinched tube or something, I know nothing about cycling), then did over an hour in the fog with my brother in the evening. I don't think Bradley Wiggins would be too worried if he spotted me careering nervously down the bicycle lanes!

• Advertisement

Monday 25 January 2010:

Rest

Tuesday 26 January 2010:

65 minute cycle.

Advertisement