Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Wednesday 27 January 2010:

65 minutes cycling over the course of the day
    Visit to osteopath
    Stretching

Thursday 28 January 2010:

60 minutes cycling over the course of the day
    Stretching

My rowing friend showed me the technique on my cheap rower at home, so I might be able to row as well as / instead of cycling now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

cfitz wrote: »
    Thursday 14 January 2010:

Running with a friend again so very enjoyable. Does anyone else find that they seem to run way quicker with no extra effort when they're not running alone?

(Hi. Very interesting log. Best of luck for the year ahead. )

I have had thoughts on this. I once had a very severe tootache years ago. It was unbearable. I was curled up in my bed trying not to focus on it. I got up and sitched on the light and noticed the pain diminish a significant degree. When I switched the light off agian it was worse again. I tried this on off with the light and noticed an instant rise and fall of the pain level. It seemed that the witnessing or processing of the light had the effect of lessening the pain.

Anyway it made me wonder whether concentrating during a race or chatting to friends during an easy run actually does reduce pain rather than just distract attention from it. Academic only I guess (Unless I invent a pair of sunglasses that can increase the light coming in when the race is getting tough!)

Friday 29 January 2010:

20 minutes on rowing machine (232 strokes, no idea what resistance)
    40 minutes cycling over the course of the day
    Sports massage
    Stretching

Had a go at the rowing today. My movements aren't smooth yet, but it felt like a sort of ok workout. I might give it another go tomorrow.

Saturday 30 January 2010:

40 minutes cycling over the course of the day
    20 minutes on rowing machine (233 strokes)
    Stretching

Sunday 31 January 2010:

Rest day

Foot was sore Saturday night. Not sure if the the rowing was to blame. Think I'll take a few days off altogether.

• Advertisement

Sunday 14 February 2010:

35 minute run
    Stretching

Took 2 full weeks off and started back yesterday. Run was grand, little bit of a struggle and everything was a bit tender after. Pretty normal for the first day back.

Monday 15 February 2010:

Rest

Tuesday 16 February 2010:

35 minute run
    Stretching

Wednesday 17 February 2010:

40 minute run
    Stretching

All been on grass so far. Plan for the next few days is: Rest day Thursday, 35 minutes on Friday and 40 minutes on Saturday.

Thursday 18 February 2010:

Rest

Friday 19 February 2010:

35 minute run
    Stretching

Saturday 20 February 2010:

40 minute run
    Stretching

Sunday 21 February 2010:

45 minute run
    Stretching

Plan for this week is:
    Sun 45 min
    Mon Rest
    Tue 35 min
    Wed 40 min
    Thu 45 min
    Fri 50 min
    Sat Rest

Monday 22 February 2010:

Rest

Tuesday 23 February 2010:

35 minute run
    Stretching

A bit of snow on the ground today. Some of my runs have felt like a struggle, so I'm looking forward to getting going again.

Wednesday 24 February 2010:

40 minute run
    Stretching

Thursday 25 February 2010:

45 minute run
    Stretching

• Advertisement

Friday 26 February 2010:

50 minute run
    Stretching

Saturday 27 February 2010:

Rest

Sunday 28 February 2010:

12 minute jog
    Strides
    4.5km RACE cross-country (2nd)
    20 minute jog
    Stretching

Our club was to have a 3k cross-country race against another local club on Sunday so I decided to run it. When I got there it was decided that 3k was too short so they added a lap to make it 4.5k. I really enjoyed the race, I took the lead after about 400m but the lead kept changing with 5 different people leading over the next couple of kilometres. I kept fairly close to the leader whenever I wasn't leading, but going into the last 2k a guy from the other club took the lead for the first time. I didn't lose touch completely, but over the next two kilometres his lead increased slightly. I tried to make back the difference at the end but a big sprint down the final hill only got me within a second or two. Would have liked the win, but I think I'm happy enough with that at the moment.

Plan for the rest of the week is:
    Mon 40 min
    Tue 50 min, 4x200m strides
    Wed AM 25 min jog, PM 35 min
    Thu 45 min (including 10 minutes hard)
    Fri Rest
    Sat 55 min

Monday 1 March 2010:

40 minute run
    Stretching

Tuesday 2 March 2010:

50 minute run
    4 x 200m strides
    Stretching

Wednesday 3 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minute run
    Stretching

Thursday 4 March 2010:

45 minute run with 10 minutes hard (approx. 25, 10 hard, 10)
    Stretching

Friday 5 March 2010:

Rest
    Sports massage

Saturday 6 March 2010:

55 minute run
    Stretching

Sunday 7 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minute run
    Stretching

Monday 8 March 2010:

40 minute run
    4 x 200m strides
    Stretching

Tuesday 9 March 2010:

50 minute run
    Stretching

Wednesday 10 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minute run
    4 x 200m strides
    Stretching

Thursday 11 March 2010:

45 minute run with 10 minutes hard (approx. 20, 10 hard, 15)
    Stretching

Friday 12 March 2010:

Rest
    Visit to osteopath

Saturday 13 March 2010:

60 minute run
    Stretching

Sunday 14 March 2010:

45 minute run with 15 minutes hard (approx. 15, 15 hard, 15)
    Stretching

Monday 15 March 2010:

45 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Tuesday 16 March 2010:

Rest

Wednesday 17 March 2010:

12 minute jog
    Strides
    5km RACE road (8th, 16:37)
    20 minute jog
    Stretching

Ran this race last year (on a different course) and struggled with a time of 17:34. This year I decided to get stuck in to the race early on. I started out fairly sensibly, but made sure to get into a decent position before things spread out too much. Although it was an open race, it included our county road championships. Our club had a decent team entered and our last time to win the title was way back in 1988. Once things settled down, I was top 10 in the race and in the top 4 for our county champs. There was one guy ahead from our rival club and he is someone I would often beat when I'm in form and I had a clubmate running beside me. My thoughts were on the team competition as we tried to chase this guy down. He was making a bit of a gap on a climb around half way through the race and as I went after him my clubmate dropped off the pace. Over the last mile I started to suffer a bit and the gap ahead started to look to big to close. Regardless, I knew the team was in a good position and I tried to keep moving along... Down to about 600m to go and I started to hear some footsteps behind me. This was fairly worrying because I'd probably slowed down a bit at this stage and also I found that they were the footsteps of another rival rather than the clubmate I had left behind earlier. I tried to push on and the gap didn't really close any further as I came around the last bend and relaxed slightly to finish 8th overall and 3rd in the county championships. I turned around and watched three of my clubmates come in 5th, 6th, and 7th in the county competition - we'd won the team! Was absolutely delighted, happy enough with my own performance, and thrilled to win the team title.

Thursday 18 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    55 minute run
    Stretching

Friday 19 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    45 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Saturday 20 March 2010:

65 minute run
    Stretching

Sunday 21 March 2010:

45 minute run with 15 minutes hard (approx. 15, 15 hard, 15)
    Stretching

Monday 22 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute run
    Stretching

Tuesday 23 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Wednesday 24 March 2010:

70 minute run
    Stretching

Thursday 25 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute run
    Stretching

Friday 26 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    45 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Saturday 27 March 2010:

Rest

Sunday 28 March 2010:

14 minute jog
    Strides
    4.8km (approx.) RACE cross-country (1st, 16:30)
    20 minute jog
    Stretching

Race was about 30 minutes drive away at 10:30am - and when you add in the clocks going forward that's a very early start. Didn't feel too lively before the race, and was prepared for a tough first lap. This race was the 2nd leg of the club match that I ran 4 weeks ago. It was four 1200m laps, first half a long gradual hill and the second half was back down the hill. Having come 2nd in the first leg, I wanted to win this one. There was another guy from the other club this time who would be one of their best runners and wasn't there for the first leg - he started out quickly and I let him on a bit. I was in 4th after a few hundred metres but the gap to the leader was getting pretty long very quickly so I moved up into 2nd. My clubmate who came 4th in the first leg came along too and soon he was in 2nd with a few metres on me but at least he was closing the gap to the leader. Once we got to the downhill half of the lap I started to make up some ground and by the end of the first lap I'd passed my clubmate and was trying to close the pretty decent gap to the leader. I closed on him gradually and over the second lap and went past him in a hurry just before the end of the lap. I kept it hurried into the second half of the race and didn't look back. I was still leading come the last lap and I didn't have any much idea what was going on behind me. I tried to keep it pushed on up the long hill for the final time. Then I ran down the final hill and only when I was very close to the finish did I have a quick glance back to make sure that I was ok. When I finished I realised that it was quite a big back to the next guy. Very happy to win the way I did - is aoibhinn liom cross-country!

Monday 29 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    55 minute run
    Stretching

Tuesday 30 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    45 minute run with 20 minutes hard (approx. 10, 20 hard, 15)
    Stretching

Some of the worst conditions I've ever run in last night - the wind was carrying the snow right into our faces a lot of the time. My eyes were very sore afterwards. The footpaths were quite slushy in places as well. We went on the road for a change coz our usual venue would probably have been very mucky. Found it difficult to get going but I think I got a few minutes of good hard running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Some of the worst conditions I've ever run in last night - the wind was carrying the snow right into our faces a lot of the time. My eyes were very sore afterwards. The footpaths were quite slushy in places as well. We went on the road for a change coz our usual venue would probably have been very mucky. Found it difficult to get going but I think I got a few minutes of good hard running.

+1. I was well wrapped up Monday evening but had to peel the layers off as it was too warm (10-12 degrees), then I headed out yesterday into a blizzard where quite literally I froze my nuts off ! Have a sniffle now today.

Wednesday 31 March 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Thursday 1 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    15 minute warm-up jog
    Strides
    6x400m with 1 min jog recovery (72, 74, 72, 72, 72, 71)
    20 minute warm-down jog
    Stretching

First session this season - went to the tartan track. Target 3k pace was the aim, so with a PB of 9:10, 72/73 seemed about right. The weather was brilliant, maybe a little colder than the ideal but considering what we've been having this week it was fantastic. I didn't feel very fluid during the session and it might be worth considering doing this on a day that doesn't come after so many consecutive doubles. All in all though I'm happy enough.

Friday 2 April 2010:

Rest
    Sports massage

Saturday 3 April 2010:

70 minute run
    Stretching

Plan for the coming week is something like this:

Sun 45 (including 20 minutes hard)
    Mon AM 25 jog, PM 50, 4x300m strides
    Tue AM 25 jog, PM 8x400m with 60 sec recovery
    Wed AM 25 jog, PM 60
    Thu AM 25 jog, PM 60, 4x300m strides
    Fri Rest
    Sat 70

Sunday 4 April 2010:

Stretching

On the road again felt good overall but I think the hard part wasn't as fast as it felt.

Monday 5 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Ridiculously windy.

Tuesday 6 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    15 minute warm-up jog
    Strides
    8x400m with 1 min jog recovery (70, 71, 71, 72, 72, 72, 72, 71)
    20 minute warm-down jog
    Stretching

On tartan, during a nice break in the bad weather. Bit of a breeze still but it didn't seem to trouble me too much. Very happy with these times.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 7 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute run

Thursday 8 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Friday 9 April 2010:

Rest

Saturday 10 April 2010:

70 minute run
    Stretching

Easy week this week. Something like this:

Sun 45 (including 20 minutes hard)
    Mon AM 25 jog, PM 35, 4x300m strides
    Tue AM 25 jog, PM 8x400m with 60 sec recovery
    Wed AM 25 jog, PM 40
    Thu AM 25 jog, PM 40, 4x300m strides
    Fri Rest
    Sat 55 (or Rest)

Sunday 11 April 2010:

Stretching

On grass loop (850m lap approx.). Lap times during the hard section were:

3:11
    3:10
    3:01
    2:56
    3:00
    3:00

Monday 12 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Tuesday 13 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    15 minute warm-up jog
    Strides
    8x400m with 1 min jog recovery (72, 72, 72, 72, 73, 72, 73, 72)
    20 minute warm-down jog
    Stretching

On tartan track. Was a bit disappointed not to hit 72 on two of the reps. But it was fairly windy so I think it was ok.

Wednesday 14 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minute run
    Stretching

Thursday 15 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    40 minute run
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

Friday 16 April 2010:

Rest
    Sports massage

Saturday 17 April 2010:

Rest

Sunday 18 April 2010:

45 minute run with 25 minutes hard (approx. 5, 25 hard, 15)
    Stretching
    Strengtening exercise for left ankle (10 reps)

On grass loop (850m lap approx.). Lap times during the hard section were:

3:06
    3:05
    3:02
    3:03
    3:05
    3:06
    3:08

Might have went a bit hard on the early laps, struggled after.

Monday 19 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    60 minutes steady
    Stretching

Tuesday 20 April 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minutes steady
    4 x 300m strides
    Stretching

My stomach wasn't feeling very good at all during this run.

Wednesday 21 April 2010:

15 minute jog
    Strides
    3000m RACE track, Santry (6th or 7th I think, 9:19.54)
    20 minute jog
    Stretching

Hit the new mondo track in Santry for my first track race of 2010. Everything went fairly much to plan for the warm-up etc and it was a cold, but nice night. My calves, especially my left one felt very tight during my strides but I wasn't too concerned.

From the off, John Travers took the lead, followed by Stevie Attride. I was near the back of the next group of about five or six athletes. I had decided to aim for 72 second laps and see what happened. Looking at the clock on the track I figured we were well ahead of pace at 200m so I eased back a bit. At 400 my split was called at 72/73 so I needed to pick it back up. I made my way to the front of the group and pushed on, got 2:26/7 for the next lap. I figured I needed to make things happen myself if I wanted to get back on pace, so I went to the front of the group (3rd place) and chased after Attride in the distance about 70 metres ahead. I got 3:39 for 1200 and 4:54/5 for 1600. I got passed by a good few people, I think it was just before the 2k mark and I went through in 6:11. A young lad from a nearby club passed me somewhere in the last kilometre but he didn't get far ahead and I managed to pass him in the last 200m and finished strong enough.

My finishing time was 9:19.54 and I felt like I was running fairly strongly - sorta felt like racing rather than dying if ya know what I mean! And my calf muscles didn't bother me during the race. Around this time last year I was running 9:33 so I'm reasonably happy with tonight's run. The new track seems very nice, so it'll be good to race there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Where'd you get the time from? Is that official?

I went on to the Dublin Athletics website and it says the results are there but can't seem to find a link to them!

bo-sco wrote: »
    Where'd you get the time from? Is that official?

I went on to the Dublin Athletics website and it says the results are there but can't seem to find a link to them!

Yeah I can't find them there either! Got the time from the organisers before I left the stadium. You seemed to have a decent run, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Yeah I can't find them there either! Got the time from the organisers before I left the stadium. You seemed to have a decent run, well done.

Cheers. Pleased with it. Hadn't stepped on a track since last August so it was an encouraging first outing of the season. Need to get going on some actual speed sessions now as opposed to the cross country work I've been doing all winter.

Best of luck with the season. I'm sure we'll be competing regularly in the next few months! Determined to break 9 minutes this year. You're probably hoping for the same I'd say?

• Advertisement

bo-sco wrote: »
    Cheers. Pleased with it. Hadn't stepped on a track since last August so it was an encouraging first outing of the season. Need to get going on some actual speed sessions now as opposed to the cross country work I've been doing all winter.

Best of luck with the season. I'm sure we'll be competing regularly in the next few months! Determined to break 9 minutes this year. You're probably hoping for the same I'd say?

The sessions at the moment are set at 9 minute pace. 9:10 is my best so beating that is the current goal. Thanks for the good wishes, and I'll probably see you on the track soon!

Advertisement