Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I'm coming from having ran times (albeit it a number of years ago) that I think are achievable for you - 3.56, 8.35 and 15.12. 1500 and 3k from when i was 19, 5k from when i was 18. That range is in your capabilites i suggest.

I would love to run those times - what makes you say that I might be capable of those times?

4x300m with 1 min jog recovery (48, 50, 50, 51)

This kind of session needs to be upped too. If you are running 4X300, it shoud be 45, 45, 45, 45 at least. That's a very doable session. The session with 4X300 followed by 4X200 should be 45, 45, 45, 45 foolowed by 30, 30, 30, 30 at least. Again, a very doable session. Increasing your steady runs in terms of time and pace will enable you to get these sessions in.

I did 3x300m tonight in spikes with 12 min recovery and only hit: 46.10, 45.85, 46.10. So, how do I go about doing 45 second reps with 1 min recovery?? Will running harder on my steady runs really bring about that kind of change? For info, I very rarely race over the shorter distances but my PBs are 58.9 400m and 2:14 800m, both on a gravel track. I'd like to think that I could do a faster 800, but the 400 may reflect my current ability.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Regarding your easy runs these should be at constant pace rather than a progression. Progression runs go from recovery aerobic pace to sub threshold pace and as such they are not letting your body recover.

Why are you comparing easy runs and progression runs? It is my steady runs that were being discussed. Or are you saying that you think my 'steady' runs should actually be done as easy runs?
    I believe at his current effort and training level, he will not improve substantially though. Maybe cfitz is very happy with the times he's running. He is a perfectly capable club runner as it stands. If he wishesforward though, the schedule has to change. Personally i think he has 8.45, 3.58 and 15 minutes in him by next summer. It all depends on what his goals are.

My goal is to improve. Regardless of how one would describe the level I am currently at, or the level I could potentially reach, it is important for me to keep improving.

Thursday 29 July 2010:

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    50 minute steady run
    Stretching
    Strengtening exercise for left ankle (10 reps)
    Circuit (2x10 exercises, 30 seconds on 30 seconds off, 90 seconds between sets)

Friday 30 July 2010:

Rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

cfitz wrote: »

Why are you comparing easy runs and progression runs? It is my steady runs that were being discussed. Or are you saying that you think my 'steady' runs should actually be done as easy runs?

I think that steady state runs are rand in early season but when you include sessions in these should be toned down. If you want to include a tempo per week this should be a tempo not progression. As for steady state runs you are gettin close to your AT by the end but not for the full session and as such your steady progressions only seem to take away from your sessions. I would be more inclined to have 2 sessions 1 tempo (or one session one tempo) 1 LSR and the rest should be easy and take out your steady runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

I think that steady state runs are rand in early season but when you include sessions in these should be toned down. If you want to include a tempo per week this should be a tempo not progression. As for steady state runs you are gettin close to your AT by the end but not for the full session and as such your steady progressions only seem to take away from your sessions. I would be more inclined to have 2 sessions 1 tempo (or one session one tempo) 1 LSR and the rest should be easy and take out your steady runs.

I dont want to sound smart here but cfitz has run half a minute quicker than you over 3k so I guess what he is doing has worked to an extend but he does have the talent to run quicker than 9:18.

I dont want to sound smart here but cfitz has run half a minute quicker than you over 3k so I guess what he is doing has worked to an extend but he does have the talent to run quicker than 9:18.

Oh i agree he is more talented at 3k i think i may get to them kinda times one day but i a long way off and as such my advice does not get the same attention as a quicker runner regardless of the validity (such is the facts of life).
    I dont think that advice should be disregarded just for that reason alone however. Training is designed to get the best out of the particular athlete regardless of if they are an 8 min 9 min or 10 min runner. I am simply offering advice from the point of training principles. What he has been doing has been great and consistent but when times start to stall he has looked to try change things and from that help alter his training plan to continue improvement)

• Advertisement

Saturday 31 July 2010:

60 minute run (27 minutes, 10 minutes hard, 3 minutes, 20 minute cool down)
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x20)
    Plank (10 breaths)

Sports massage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Oh i agree he is more talented at 3k i think i may get to them kinda times one day but i a long way off )

Why do you say this? I haven't really gone through your log yet but will do when i have time. Talent has nothing to do with the times being run here. In my opinion, any fit, able bodied male in his twenties can run 8.45-9.00 with the right training.

Talent would come into it when you guys get 8.30 and below and start hitting a point that could be the limit of your abilities (and i mean COULD be. You could be be potential 7.50 3k athletes).

Sorry, I have travelling for the last week so just seeing this now.
    I would love to run those times - what makes you say that I might be capable of those times?

Generally, (as i say above), ANY male in their twenties is capable of it. The 5k time is especially achievable.

More specifically, the base that you have put down here will stand so well to you. The stretching, recovery jogs in the morning, work to get over injuries etc etc are all excellent habits. Also, you are willing to spend the time to train properly. You are not half-assed about it. You seem to have a good attitude. It's all important.
    My goal is to improve. Regardless of how one would describe the level I am currently at, or the level I could potentially reach, it is important for me to keep improving.

This is the first thing you've posted that I don't like. You need to have a clearer idea of where you want to get. Do you want train to a level where you may approach your limits or just get a bit better going on? Does your coach set you goals that the training is aimed towards?

Also one very important question - do you trust your coach?

Training is designed to get the best out of the particular athlete regardless of if they are an 8 min 9 min or 10 min runner. I am simply offering advice from the point of training principles. What he has been doing has been great and consistent but when times start to stall he has looked to try change things and from that help alter his training plan to continue improvement)

If you are aiming for improvement and think you are training hard but your times are stalling at the 9.30 mark then the training has to be fundamentally and chronically flawed.

If you are aiming for improvement and think you are training hard but your times are stalling at the 9.30 mark then the training has to be fundamentally and chronically flawed.

I agree wit you here if you were training specifically for that event however if this time is a bi product then it is not as you are training towards a different event. I actually only did two 3k races this year so it was not my specific event but managed to PB as a bi product

• Advertisement

I agree wit you here if you were training specifically for that event however if this time is a bi product then it is not as you are training towards a different event. I actually only did two 3k races this year so it was not my specific event but managed to PB as a bi product

Absolutely wasn't commenting on your training. As i said, I haven't (but will) read your log so I don't know what you do.

This is the first thing you've posted that I don't like. You need to have a clearer idea of where you want to get. Do you want train to a level where you may approach your limits or just get a bit better going on? Does your coach set you goals that the training is aimed towards?

Well I've no idea what my limits are, so it seems more logical to just strive for continuous improvement. I could say that my goal is to run a world record - how would that effect my training? Last year my target pace in sessions was 9:15. In the racing phase I got my PB down to 9:10 and my coach thought that I was in shape to run 9 minutes. So this year the target pace in sessions was 9:00.

Didn't bother posting here for the last few weeks. I ran a 3000 at the beginning of the month then started to wind down the training for the final 2 weeks and just ran whatever races took my fancy...

Sunday 1 August

70 easy (I think!)
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x20)
    Plank (10 breaths)

Monday 2 August

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    45 minutes steady
    3x250m strides
    Stretching

Tuesday 3 August

AM
    25 minute jog

PM
    35 minutes steady
    Stretching

Wednesday 4 August

Warm-up jog
    Strides
    3000m track RACE (some rubbish time, maybe 9:32)
    Warm-down jog
    Stretching

As far as I recall, I tried to run 9:15 pace but the first lap was fast and threw me off. I think it might have been quite windy too.

Thursday 5 August Start of 75% week

AM
    19 minute jog

PM
    38 minutes steady
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x16)
    Plank (8 breaths)

Friday 6 August

Rest

Saturday 7 August

AM
    19 minute jog

PM
    45 minutes steady
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x16)
    Plank (8 breaths)

Sunday 8 August

53 minutes easy
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x16)
    Plank (8 breaths)

Monday 9 August

AM
    19 minute jog

PM
    27 minutes steady
    6x150m strides
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x16)
    Plank (8 breaths)

Tuesday 10 August

Rest

Wednesday 11 August

Short warm-up jog
    Strides
    Short warm-down jog
    Stretching

Thursday 12 August

10 minute warm-up jog
    Drills
    Speed evolution strides
    800m track RACE (3rd, 2:13.1 PB)
    20 minute warm-down job
    Stretching

Windy night in Santry. Went to the race with a clubmate and decided to just join in with his warm-up. I ran the first lap in 65 seconds. I think fell asleep a bit in the second lap and I reckon I could go faster.

Friday 13 August Start of 50% week

35 minutes easy
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x10)
    Plank (5 breaths)

Saturday 14 August

Rest

Sunday 15 August

AM
    13 minute jog

PM
    30 minutes steady
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x10)
    Plank (5 breaths)

Monday 16 August

AM
    13 minute jog

PM
    18 minutes steady
    4x150m strides
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x10)
    Plank (5 breaths)

Tuesday 17 August

Rest

Wednesday 18 August

Short warm-up jog
    Strides
    Short warm-down jog
    Stretching

Thursday 19 August

Short warm-up jog
    Drills
    Speed evolution strides
    5000m track RACE, Santry (1st, 16:18.8)
    20 minute warm-down jog
    Stretching

Looked a horrible night on the way up to Santry, but the wind settled a little bit for the race. Wasn't calm by any means though. I decided to aim for 16:15
    pace and to check my km splits. I opened a gap immediately and did the first lap in 75 and if felt quite easy, was a bit quicker than planned so I tried to stay relaxed. I hit 1k in 3:11. It doesn't take long for things to start feeling a bit tougher so I tried to keep it moving while staying relaxed. I hit 2k in 6:27 and 3k in 9:44 so I was keeping it together fairly well. Things got a bit hairy in the 4th kilometre - I got 13:07 (3:23) and I knew I had a lot to do. I kept working, and I really let go at the end hitting about 31 seconds for the last 200m I think. I finished in 16:18.8 just outside by PB of 16:17.

It's hard to know how things would have gone if it had been a more competitive race. I was lapping people throughout and I think that helped, to be picking people off constantly. This could have been my best track race this season.

Friday 20 August

35 minutes easy
    Stretching

Saturday 21 August

10 minute warm-up jog
    Drills
    Speed evolution strides
    800m track RACE, Antrim Forum (3rd, 2:13.9)
    20 minute warm-down jog
    Stretching

Drove for 3 hours to Antrim for this race. It was windy up there. It was very well organised, and they put me in the B race with 6 other athletes. I split 200m in 32 seconds at the back of the field and it didn't feel that easy. I moved up on the bottom bend and was considering going round the 3rd and 4th place athletes who were running side by side. But the home straight had a strong headwind and I thought I might be getting a bit caught up in the excitement of the race so I tucked in behind them to avoid the wind.

Big mistake. The 2 guys slowed severely and I hesitated about going wide around them. I eventually went out into lane 3 to pass them before the bell but my 400 split was a shocking 68. The two leaders were a bit ahead but I chased them down quickly trying to salvage my race. I took the lead with 300m to go and let loose down the back straight. As I rounded onto the home straight I started to tie up. The 2 guys passed me fairly easily. I tried push to the finish, my time of 2:13.9 was outside my PB and I think I could have run faster with better decision-making. Enjoyable race though.

Sunday 22 August

10 minute warm-up jog
    Drills
    Speed evolution strides
    Half Marathon RACE, Oylegate (Not fully sure of position yet, 1:19:45)
    26 minute warm-down jog
    Stretching

This race wasn't part of the plan at all, but I figured it was the end of the season and after not having much success on the track I had an urge to try something different seen as I had my break coming up. So it was only on Saturday evening after my 3 hour drive home from Antrim that I decided for definite to finish my season with a half marathon. The longest race I had run before was a 15k in Istanbul last October. In training, I hadn't run much more than 70 minutes this year, so I decided a cautious approach to this race was best.

I had decided to start out very easy and try to run progressively. But at the start line some guys I knew were aiming to run 74/75 as a hard training run in preparation for the marathon. This sounded tempting because I thought it would be nice to be in a little group. But the pace sounded a bit hot so I wasn't sure. I kept an eye on them from the gun but before long I decided that it wasn't a viable option so I settled for a comfortable pace and started to run my own race. It was a really warm morning, felt like sunburn weather but maybe it wasn't quite as hot as I thought it was.

I let a group of maybe 12 off ahead of me and started to negotiate the hills alone. It was a very hilly course. A guy caught me on a steep hill early on, but after a brief chat I started to pull away from him. From then on I started to eye the tiny people in the distance. Little by little I made ground on the first straggler in the group. And when I caught him the next few guys started to come back to me quicker.

I tried to stay relaxed, I figured I wanted to feel easy for at least six miles, probably seven. I was enjoying it and I chased one guy after the next over the miles. I didn't wear a watch and I didn't think too much about my time. When I got to mile 9 things started to feel harder. The course became quite undulating with some steep hills both up and down. I was working on catching another guy not too far ahead but I couldn't seem to make any ground on him. After mile 10 we were on a big main road and even though I was trying to chase the guy ahead and maybe even making a little ground it was starting to feel very difficult.

From mile 11 on, it really felt like a battle of survival. It felt very hot for running. I think I was still making very slight ground on the fella ahead of me but it was a bit torturous. The final mile was uphill (unless I was imagining things!), the sun seemed scorching, and it felt a bit like the end was a lifetime away. There wasn't much racing going on at this stage and I'd say I was moving fairly slowly. When I got to within about a hundred metres of the finish I was able to put in a nice little sprint to the line :-)

As soon as I stopped it was as if a fire came up through my shoes burning the bottom of my feet! My finishing time was 1:19:45 and I was told since that my position was 5th but I think it may have been 6th or 7th. All things considered, I'm quite happy with the race. I warmed down with one of the marathon guys and he brought me out for over 26 minutes - that was rough! But I like to think it might be why I'm not crippled today.

Monday 23 August

35 minutes easy
    Stretching
    Press-ups (x20)
    Plank (10 breaths)

So that's the end of my season. Thanks to everyone for trying to help me along the way. I didn't get the results I wanted along the way. Hopefully some of what I did will stand to me in the future. The plan going forward is to join a coached group.

Thanks again.

Nice way to end the season cfitz.

Good luck with the winter training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

So that's the end of my season. Thanks to everyone for trying to help me along the way. I didn't get the results I wanted along the way. Hopefully some of what I did will stand to me in the future. The plan going forward is to join a coached group.

Thanks again.

Great finish to your season, always one of the more interesting logs to read. Enjoy your break and come back stronger.

Half Marathon RACE, Oylegate (Not fully sure of position yet, 1:19:45)

Results are up, looks like I came 6th (results say 5th but the guy ahead of me wasn't wearing a number and isn't listed among the finishers).

Advertisement