Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Week 3, Day 6:

Aqua-running:
    10 min warm up jog
    6 x 5 min hard with 1 min recovery

This session went ok, again I didn't get the heart rate up that high though. The pool is busy at the weekends and it's hard to concentrate when you're dodging swimmers. Sometimes they close the deep end unexpectedly as well! That's why I didn't do a warm down today. I swam in the shallow end for a few minutes instead.

Week 3, Day 7:

Rest day.

Went to the pool and the deep end was closed so had to go home. My schedule is only for six days so technically I haven't missed anything.

Week 4, Day 1:

AM

Aqua-running:
    10 min warm up jog
    1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 4 min, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min (1 min recovery between each rep)
    20 min warm down jog

PM

1.5hr Core Stability and flexibility session

Pool session went well, not my best ever but I was working fairly hard. The core session was easier than last week and I really felt the flexibility stuff working. My quads were quite tender after the pool and I struggled with a lot of the exercises this evening because they felt like they were going to get hurt.

Week 4, Day 2:

AM

Aqua-running:
    60 min steady

PM

Stretching

Quads and stomach/chest feeling the results of the previous day's core session. Don't think it affected my aqua-running though. Trying to get into a good stretching routine now and hopefully add back in some of the exercises I had been doing before the injury. My injury isn't going away fully which is a bit annoying. Hopefully when I have my orthotics back it will heal quickly.

Week 4, Day 3:

AM

Aqua-running:
    10 min warm up jog
    9 x 2:30 with 30 seconds recovery
    10 min warm down jog

PM

1.5hr core stability and stretching

Aqua running went fairly well, still feel like I'm not getting most of the interval sessions quite right though. In under my ribs was tender from Monday going into the core session so I had to leave out some of the exercises. Some of the exercises are fairly tough, I need to be careful not to hurt myself until I get used to them.

• Advertisement

Week 4, Day 4:

AM

Aqua-running:
    10 min warm up jog
    7 x 5 min with 1 min recovery
    10 min warm down jog

PM

Stretching

Aqua-running went ok. Just in case anyone is wondering, these massive sessions don't feel like that session would feel like on a track (for me anyway). I'm not able to maintain that level of intensity in the water for consecutive long reps. Maybe I should be able to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I haven't had an injury in a fair while that's kept me out of action for longer than a few days. If I do end up in a pool in the near future I know who I'll be asking for advice!

Keep up the good work

Week 4, Day 5:

AM

Aqua-running:
    10 min jog warm up
    1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 4 min, 4 min, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min (1 min recovery between each rep)
    10 min jog warm down

PM

Stretching

I find the pyramid session much better than any of the other hard sessions - generally I can get my heart rate up and it feels more like a session on the track. I'm tempted to replace one of the other sessions and do a pyramid twice a week because of this. I'm not sure if the extra 4 minute rep this week helped though. It was already a tough session without it was easier to push myself really hard on all the reps. I didn't enjoy this particular session because I had some soreness right down at the bottom of my hamstring. I'm going to have to be careful of it, especially when I'm doing the core and flexibility sessions.

Week 4, Day 6:

Aqua-running:
    50 minutes

Stretching

The aqua-running went fine but I'm not sure about this niggle in my hamstring. It's almost down behind my knee on the inside, not sure if it's actually my hamstring. I don't feel it when I'm walking around, just in the pool and when I'm doing my core and flexibility. I'm due to a hard session in the pool, but I might take a rest day or just do an easy 'aqua-run'.

Week 4, Day 7:

Stretching

Took the day off, and will probably just do an easy aqua-run today.

• Advertisement

Week 5, Day 1:

Aqua-running:
    60 min easy

Stretching

Took it easy. Was trying to analyse my technique a little bit. I think I allow my shoulders to move in a way that they wouldn't normally do when I'm running. When I keep them steady my core has to do more to help me balance.

Week 5, Day 2:

AM

Aqua-running:
    60 min progressive

PM

Stretching

Aqua running went ok, I was getting a clicking sensation near my knee (where I've been having trouble the past few days). Wasn't sore but maybe I need to lay off it a bit. Went to visit the osteopath this afternoon, so hopefully he's made some gentle improvements, definitely felt more supple (I think that's the right word!) at the end of the visit.

Week 5, Day 3:

1hr core and stability session

I'm going to take a few days off to make sure I don't get another injury. I'll keep doing my stretching but I'll stay out of the pool. Trying to deal with an injury is crap, it's difficult to be sure whether you're being sensible or just lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I know that feeling, I think I'm in the lazy category, but I def think your in the sensible bracket as anyone who can motivate themselves for that much aqua jogging is most def not lazy or just plain mad :D Keep up the good work.

Week 5, Day 4:

Stretching

Nothing to report today. Will probably head back to the pool on Sunday or Monday.

Week 5, Day 5:

Stretching

Week 5, Day 6:

Stretching

Week 5, Day 7:

Stretching

I've decided to extend my break to at least a full week. So I won't be going back to the pool until Wednesday at the earliest. I figure it's better to miss a few days aqua-running than miss days when I'm back running. I'm hoping to have my orthotics back before the end of next week. I'm not sure what to do about the core stability sessions - I think they're important but I'd like to figure out a way to ease into them more gradually. Getting back running is the important thing at the moment so maybe I need to go back to the easier core work (that I did before this injury) for a while to play it safe.

Week 6, Day 1:

Stretching

Foot is feeling good at the moment, I wonder does the aqua-running but a little bit of pressure on it. Hope I get my orthotics back soon.

Week 6, Day 2:

Stretching

I've taken a full week now away from the pool now. The reason was because of the niggle in my leg, but my foot feels a lot better after the break so I'm wondering what to do. It's 3 week since I sent my orthotics for repair so there's probably about 1 more week before they return. Do I go back to the pool? Do I just continue stretching until I get my orthotics back? Is there another form of exercise I could do instead of aqua-running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

cfitz wrote: »
    Week 6, Day 2:

Stretching

I've taken a full week now away from the pool now. The reason was because of the niggle in my leg, but my foot feels a lot better after the break so I'm wondering what to do. It's 3 week since I sent my orthotics for repair so there's probably about 1 more week before they return. Do I go back to the pool? Do I just continue stretching until I get my orthotics back? Is there another form of exercise I could do instead of aqua-running?
    Do you do any cross training or cycling might be a nice change from the pool i'm sure it take a lot of focus to do thoese sessions in the pool.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Do you do any cross training or cycling might be a nice change from the pool i'm sure it take a lot of focus to do thoese sessions in the pool.

Yeah I think maybe I could go for a cycle. I'm a bit nervous of doing a new type of cross-training because of the injury risks of jumping into something new. I cycle to work occasionally though, so maybe a short cycle today would be a good idea.

• Advertisement

Week 6, Day 3:

30 minute cycle
    Stretching

Decided to try the cycling. It was a wet day and I'm not a very experienced cyclist. Because of the heavy traffic and the weather I had to slow down at times - figured it wouldn't do much good to die! All in all I think it went fairly well - my heart rate seemed to be high at the end (some of this could have been due to the scary cycling in traffic though :eek:). My quads were burning during the session, hopefully they won't be too sore tomorrow, they feel ok now anyway. I kept the resistance low but I still found it to be very severe on my quads compared to running.

Week 6, Day 3:

My quads were burning during the session, hopefully they won't be too sore tomorrow, they feel ok now anyway. I kept the resistance low but I still found it to be very severe on my quads compared to running.

I did find this myslef, I did some cycling at the start of the year but found my quads tired, I found running the day after a cycle hard, but after a few weeks it improved. I read some info that low reistance and high cadence from cycling can also help improve your cadence (leg turnover) while running. Maybe some of the Tri guys know more .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I'm wondering what to do. It's 3 week since I sent my orthotics for repair so there's probably about 1 more week before they return. Do I go back to the pool? Do I just continue stretching until I get my orthotics back? Is there another form of exercise I could do instead of aqua-running?

IMHO orthotics are overprecribed and incorrectly prescribed - but if they work for you go with it.

You've done trojan work in the pool so maybe just have a week off, so you'll be raring to go with the running next week.

Stretching is overrated and not very evidence based, I wouldn't be too concerned with doing this.

I'm not sure how I'd cope with aj. Fair play to you for sticking it. Have you looked into anti-gravity treadmills, what Paula Radcliffe used when she had her stress fracture? I imagine they are probably not widely available and very expensive. Would love to know how they work, must try and find out.

Enjoy the return. Try not to worry too much about the injury, just try to forget about it and get on with it. Hypervigilance can lead to fear-avoidance behaviours, potentially altering running style and predisposing to other injuries...easy to say when not injured, fingers crossed.

IMHO orthotics are overprecribed and incorrectly prescribed - but if they work for you go with it.

You've done trojan work in the pool so maybe just have a week off, so you'll be raring to go with the running next week.

Stretching is overrated and not very evidence based, I wouldn't be too concerned with doing this.

I'm not sure how I'd cope with aj. Fair play to you for sticking it. Have you looked into anti-gravity treadmills, what Paula Radcliffe used when she had her stress fracture? I imagine they are probably not widely available and very expensive. Would love to know how they work, must try and find out.

Enjoy the return. Try not to worry too much about the injury, just try to forget about it and get on with it. Hypervigilance can lead to fear-avoidance behaviours, potentially altering running style and predisposing to other injuries...easy to say when not injured, fingers crossed.

I agree about the orthotics, but I've had them for year now and I don't think getting rid of them while dealing with a foot injury would be good timing. I think it was a problem with the orthotics that may have given me the injury that's why I'm waiting on them to be repaired.

Not sure what to say about the stretching - I would consider it very important after exercising (to reduce chances of injury and to improve flexibility). I'm not sure how well it works when I haven't been exercising though...

I'd be fairly shocked if there were anti-gravity treadmills anywhere near where I live! Are there any in Ireland at the moment? I've never used one.

I'm looking forward to getting back. Like you say, I need to take it slowly, but not to be thinking about my injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

This is my problem at the moment, I am returning from injury and have tried a couple of jogs but I realize now I cant stop focusing on the injury.
    I need to distract myself with concentrating on form or something.

stmochtas wrote: »
    This is my problem at the moment, I am returning from injury and have tried a couple of jogs but I realize now I cant stop focusing on the injury.
    I need to distract myself with concentrating on form or something.

Is there anyone else you could run with? Sometimes if you're chatting with someone while jogging you'll hardly notice that you're running.

Good point I might drag my brother out over the weekend. If it was a particularly bad day that has a tendency to distract as well :D

stmochtas wrote: »
    Good point I might drag my brother out over the weekend. If it was a particularly bad day that has a tendency to distract as well :D
    I'll be in pheonix park at 9am sat and sunday if its any use to you.

Cheers Shels, I will send you a text if I decide to head out there. I may take it very easy still as I still have a bit of healing to do. Where is your usual haunting ground in the park?

• Advertisement

sent you a PM there, don't want ot hijack the log .

Advertisement