Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Week 6, Day 4:

AM
    30 min cycle

PM
    Stretching

Got out early for the cycle today so there wasn't much traffic.

Week 6, Day 5:

Core/Strength Work:
    20 press-ups
    Plank exercise
    5 x lie on back bring left knee in to chest (just relax right leg), slowly straighten left leg until flat on the floor
    5 x lie on back bring right knee in to chest (just relax left leg), slowly straighten right leg until flat on the floor
    10 x lie on back bring knees in to chest, slowly straighten legs until flat on the floor
    30 gentle Back Extensions
    30 opposite arm opposite leg Back Extensions

Stretching

This was my first time doing press-ups in a long time; before my injury I would do them every day I ran. Really felt the burn for the last few.

Week 6, Day 6:

Core/Strength Work:
    20 press-ups
    5 x lie on back bring left knee in to chest (just relax right leg), slowly straighten left leg until flat on the floor
    5 x lie on back bring right knee in to chest (just relax left leg), slowly straighten right leg until flat on the floor
    10 x lie on back bring knees in to chest, slowly straighten legs until flat on the floor
    Plank exercise

Stretching

Week 6, Day 7:

Core/Strength Work:
    20 press-ups
    Plank exercise

Stretching

It's very icy on the roads here so I haven't been cycling for the past few days. It's good to get into a routine with the strength work though, hopefully soon I'll be back running and I can gently start to add in this supplementary training.

Week 7, Day 1:

Rest day

I had to get some light surgery on my arm today so I didn't even do any stretching. I got a text to tell me that my orthotics are in Ireland, so I should have them on Wednesday. Oh the excitement...

Week 7, Day 2:

Stretching

I'm still a little bit afraid to hurt the stitches in my arm so just did some stretching. I'm going to have to get used to my orthotics again now for a little bit before I start running in them.

• Advertisement

Week 7, Day 3:

Stretching

Got my orthotics, wore them for a few hours to start getting used to them again. Going for a sports massage today. Hopefully not too long til I'm back running now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I hope they work out for you cfitz...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

For a novice, what would a sports massage involve, general loosening of the leg muscles? Would it have benefits when coming back from an injury? I have noticed during this injury that my legs (especially hamstrings which is a symptom of a desk job no doubt) are very tight and have been trying to do plenty of stretching. Your post put the thought in my head the maybe a massage may be of benefit.

stmochtas wrote: »
    For a novice, what would a sports massage involve, general loosening of the leg muscles? Would it have benefits when coming back from an injury? I have noticed during this injury that my legs (especially hamstrings which is a symptom of a desk job no doubt) are very tight and have been trying to do plenty of stretching. Your post put the thought in my head the maybe a massage may be of benefit.

That's pretty much it - loosening of the muscles. If you have an injury they can work that area (or around that area) to try help it recover better. I only have experience with one sports therapist though so I may not be the best person to comment. She was an international runner not too long ago, so it's great to get advice from her about dealing with injuries etc. as well. I go to her about once per month but I'm wondering if it would be better to go more often if you're training hard. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

Week 7, Day 4:

Sports Massage

Stretching

Massage was quite painless, so my muscle mustn't have been too tight. Hoping to go for my first run on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Week 7, Day 5:

Stretching

Nothing to report here.

Week 7, Day 6:

12 minute run
    Stretching

Baby steps. Felt way faster than it actually was. Took a bit out of me t0o, I think the minus two degrees opened up my lungs a bit. Great to be back running.

Week 7, Day 7:

Stretching

My quads were quite tight all day, I suppose the little bit of running was a shock to the system. I was up in Cavan to watch the cross-country so I was walking around all day. Will run today, then take tomorrow off, then maybe do 2 days in a row.

Week 8, Day 1:

20 minute run
    Stretching

Little bit faster today and didn't feel as hard. I don't feel very fit at the moment but I don't think it will take long to come back as long as my body holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Welcome back to the world of running on dry(ish) land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

cfitz wrote: »
    12 minute run

You're back! Best of luck with it. See you at a race sometime soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

best of luck, i'm sure all your hard work in the pool will really pay off.

Week 8, Day 2:

Stretching

Current plan is to now do 2 days on, 2 days off for the next 8 days and then move it up to six days per week in a very short space of time.

Week 8, Day 3:

25 min easy run
    Stretching

Decided beforehand not to look at the watch until I knew I was nearly finished so that I wouldn't push the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Best of luck on the come back.

Planning to get some gentle runs in over the weekend myself all going well.

• Advertisement

Week 8, Day 4:

30 minute run
    Stretching

Avoided looking at the watch again. My lower calf/soleus muscle is quite tight. Might get someone to rub it out a bit for me. Due to take tomorrow and the next day off anyway so that should give it a little time to recover.

Week 8, Day 5:

Stretching

Got a 20 minute rub on my calves from my osteopath. My right calf muscle was really tight and he freed it right up.

Week 8, Day 6:

Stretching

Week 8, Day 7:

35 minute easy run
    Stretching

Took it very easy - it was a hilly lap at the Euro XC course and I didn't want to push it when I didn't know what twists and dips were coming up.

Week 9, Day 1:

35 minute run
    Stretching

I've 2 days off now, and then the plan is to do 3 days on and then 1 day off. After that I'm hoping to be pretty much back to a six day week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi cfitz just to say fair play and I admire your patience and motivation over the past few months, I think I for one would have been binging on all types of junk food and there def would not have been any aqua running, If I was you I probably would have put on about 2 stone and thinking to hell with running who needs it, so fair play :D

Week 9, Day 2:

Stretching

I'm planning on running a race to test my fitness soon. I also have a 10k XC race on January 4th. So I've to decide between a 5k road race on Stephen's day or a 3.2k XC race on New Year's Eve.

So I've to decide between a 5k road race on Stephen's day or a 3.2k XC race on New Year's Eve.

Stephen's Day. Considering your on your way back from injury, more recovery between the races might be better.

Stephen's Day. Considering your on your way back from injury, more recovery between the races might be better.

That's pretty much what my coach said. I wanna do the other one :)

That's pretty much what my coach said. I wanna do the other one :)

That's down to your pathological love of XC:). And perhaps the laudible inclination to do race specific training. But 4 days would be very close I think. I imagine on the 2nd race you'd take 2 miles to loosen out, just about get into it and then you'd start to feel heavy legged from the previous race for the last 2 miles again. Not wishing to be too negative or anything! Suppose it also depends on how seriously you are taking each race. If not too fussed you could do the 2 XCs and just use them as training runs, but it's very difficult to hold back if you are competitive.

Week 9, Day 3:

Stretching

Week 9, Day 4:

35 minute easy run
    Stretching

Went out to the car this morning to go running and found that it had been broken into (again). Nice breeze on the drive over to wake me up for training...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice breeze on the drive over to wake me up for training...
    That's the spirit! Find the silver lining in every situation!
    Congrats on the return to racing.

• Advertisement

Week 9, Day 5:

35 minute easy run
    Stretching

Plan is to run tomorrow, take Sunday off. Then, if I'm not racing, to do a six day week next week. I may add in one or two longer runs soon as well. I've an appointment with my osteopath on Monday - get to him before he takes his Christmas holidays!

Advertisement