Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Week 25, Day 5:

Rest Day
    Sports massage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

lucky lad,been a while since i got a rub.my body crying out for one the last few days.

Week 25, Day 6:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    50 min easy run
    4 x 100m sprints
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 40+60)
    Moving plank exercise (3 reps)
    60 back extensions (2 variations 30+30)

Here's the basic schedule for the next seven days:

Sun: 6 x 600m in 1:51, 150m jog rec.
    Mon: 25 min jog / 45 min steady, 4 x 100m sprints
    Tue: 25 min jog / 45 min hard
    Wed: 25 min jog / 55 min steady, 3x10 circuit
    Thu: 3 x 1200m in 3:43, 300m jog rec.
    Fri: REST
    Sat: 70 min easy, core

lucky lad,been a while since i got a rub.my body crying out for one the last few days.

I used to be fairly casual about them but I've been advised to make them a regular thing so that's the plan now.

when you racing again?do u find yuor times are coming dow in the track sessions?

• Advertisement

Week 25, Day 7:

15 min warm-up jog
    6 x 600m with 150m jog recovery (1:52, 1:53, 1:52, 1:54, 1:57, 1:54)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 Press-ups
    90 Sit-ups (2 variations 50+40)
    60 Back Extensions (2 variations 30+30)

Did these on a gravel track. Nice day but a bit windy. Had some company on reps 1, 3, and 5 and that seemed to help a lot. Very happy with the session because the recovery was shorter than the day I did the 3 reps on tartan, feels like I'm getting fitter and fitter.

when you racing again?do u find yuor times are coming dow in the track sessions?

Supposed to do a 3k race or time trial in 2 weeks but there doesn't seem to be much on so I'm a little bit tempted to run in Leevale on Sunday. Times are definitely coming down in the sessions but they still have a bit of a way to go.

Week 26, Day 1:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    45 min steady run
    4 x 100m sprints
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    110 sit-ups (2 variations 50+60)

Diet was a bit better today, no junk food. Yesterday I didn't eat anything other than chocolate and sweets til after 7pm!

Week 26, Day 2:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    Visit to Osteopath
    45 min hard run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 60+40)

My normal 'hard run loop' wasn't available because of a match, so used my 'regular run loop' instead. It's on grass, with some small hills and just yesterday it was measured with a trundle wheel to be 2,407 metres long. I pushed it on quite hard and did 5 laps, with the following splits:

Lap 1: 9:37
    Lap 2: 9:05
    Lap 3: 9:08
    Lap 4: 9:08
    Lap 5: 9:02

Giving me a total of 46:03 for 12km.

Week 26, Day 3:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    55 min steady run
    Stretching
    Circuit (3 sets of 10 exercises - 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off)

Found this quite tough after the hard run the day before. I had tightness in my legs all day and just to add to it my stomach wasn't feeling good at all for the first few kilometres.

• Advertisement

Week 26, Day 4:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    3 x 1200m with 300m recovery jog (3:54, 3:58, 3:56)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    110 sit-ups (2 variations 60+50)

Nice warm evening with only a mild breeze. The track was wet after all the rain but it didn't cause any problems. My legs were still in ribbons from the hard run on Tuesday though and all in all I was happy to be faster than last week. Shorter recoveries this time but the conditions were much better too.

Diet was a bit better today, no junk food. Yesterday I didn't eat anything other than chocolate and sweets til after 7pm![/quote]

Im fairly similar myself with a sweet tooth.cutting down alot on junk food latley and my energy levels alot better.
    getting the balance right isn't easy:confused:

Week 26, Day 5:

Rest Day

Week 26, Day 6:

70 min easy run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    90 sit-ups (2 variations 40+50)
    Some core exercises

Week 26, Day 7:

12 min warm up jog
    Strides
    3000m RACE (9:33)
    20 min warm down jog
    Stretching
    15 press-ups
    85 sit-ups (2 variations 30+45)
    Moving plank exercise (3 shorter reps)
    48 back extensions (2 variations 24+24)

Felt like I was in very good shape for the race. Was a big enough race with electronic timing so I was sure the splits would be called. Plan was to just try running 74 second laps, didn't pay any attention to who else would be in the race. Nobody called any splits and I was completely lost. I should be able to race without the splits, but I didn't know what to do. Maybe it was coz my tactics were so reliant on the splits. Anyway I had no clue of how fast I was going until I was told my time after the race. I was raging. I know I need to be patient but I thought I'd go way faster than that. My times this early in the season might not matter much but to run 9:33 again is pretty annoying. Turns out the electronic timing wasn't working either so I won't get my official time!

I have some of the race on video so I was able to get a rough idea of my splits from that. I went off the target pace quite early. I wanted the video to check my running style - I was expecting it to look worse than it did. Perhaps by the end of the season I will have improved my style somewhat. Anyway, next step is focus on hitting my times in training.

Easy week this week, something like this:

Mon: 25 min jog / 40 min steady, 4 x 100m sprints
    Tue: 25 min jog / 40 min hard
    Wed: 25 min jog / 50 min steady, 3 x 8 circuit
    Thu: 2 x 1200m in 3:43, 300m jog rec.
    Fri: REST
    Sat: 55 min easy, core

Im fairly similar myself with a sweet tooth.cutting down alot on junk food latley and my energy levels alot better.
    getting the balance right isn't easy:confused:

I have to be really strict on myself! I don't eat junk at all. Then I allow myself a day, maybe once a month, and just go mad on it. I still have some some stuff from Easter that I'm quite looking forward to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

cfitz wrote: »
    Week 26, Day 3:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    55 min steady run
    Stretching
    Circuit (3 sets of 10 exercises - 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off)

On the circuits do you do the same exercises you do for your core work or is it more drills and stuff cfitz?

Babybing wrote: »
    On the circuits do you do the same exercises you do for your core work or is it more drills and stuff cfitz?

Well I don't always do the same exercises but here is what I did the last day:

1. Press-ups
    2. Stomach crunches
    3. Lunges
    4. Side crunches
    5. Left leg drop (stand on one leg and bend down and back up coz my right leg seems to be way stronger than my left)
    6. Moving plank
    7. Step-ups (twice as many leading with left leg)
    8. Plank
    9. Half squats (not sure if that's the correct name)
    10. Back extensions (lie on front and raise opposite arm and opposite leg)

Not sure if they're great exercises. I just do them steadily, I usually feel ok after them.

Week 27, Day 1:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    40 min steady run
    4 x 100m sprints
    Stretching
    15 press-ups
    68 sit-ups (2 variations 38+30)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Well I don't always do the same exercises but here is what I did the last day:

1. Press-ups
    2. Stomach crunches
    3. Lunges
    4. Side crunches
    5. Left leg drop (stand on one leg and bend down and back up coz my right leg seems to be way stronger than my left)
    6. Moving plank
    7. Step-ups (twice as many leading with left leg)
    8. Plank
    9. Half squats (not sure if that's the correct name)
    10. Back extensions (lie on front and raise opposite arm and opposite leg)

Not sure if they're great exercises. I just do them steadily, I usually feel ok after them.

I do pretty similar stuff myself. The circuit I do includes the press ups, lunges, crunches,planks, squats and back extensions and a few other exercises.

Do you do the squats and lunges weighted though? I dont but Im at the stage now where when I do them unweighed they put little stress on the muscles so I dont know if they are having much effect.

Also is there any particular reason you go by time instead of distance on your runs cfitz?

Babybing wrote: »
    I do pretty similar stuff myself. The circuit I do includes the press ups, lunges, crunches,planks, squats and back extensions and a few other exercises.

Do you do the squats and lunges weighted though? I dont but Im at the stage now where when I do them unweighed they put little stress on the muscles so I dont know if they are having much effect.

Also is there any particular reason you go by time instead of distance on your runs cfitz?

I don't use any weights in my circuit, I don't know much about the mechanics of the exercises so I wouldn't be sure how to use weights with most of them.

When I was a teenager I used to run by distance but my coach in college and my current coach both did things by time so that's what I've been doing for years now. I don't know if it makes much difference but I can see some reasons why coaches might write their programs that way.

Week 27, Day 2:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    50 min steady run
    Stretching
    Circuit (3 sets of 8 exercises - 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off)

• Advertisement

Week 27, Day 3:

15 min warm up jog
    Strides
    2 x 1200m with 300m jog recovery (3:52, 4:03)
    20 min warm down jog
    Stretching
    15 press-ups
    84 sit-ups (2 variations 38+46)

Did the session on a gravel track. There was a really low key 1200m club race on so I did the race as my first rep. (I wanted to do the race as the second rep but there was a last minute schedule change.) Really really strong wind down the back straight, felt like it was hard to keep moving at times! I won the race fairly comfortably, but I think the competition helped me to push it on. Found the second rep on my own quite tough. I was a bit disappointed with the times overall, but given the conditions they may have been ok.

Week 27, Day 4:

Rest Day
    Sports massage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Week 27, Day 4:

Rest Day
    Sports massage
    how often would you get one of these? had physio recently as was injured. but also got massage on my other hamstring, both groins and both thighs. not overly enjoyable (i must be a wuzz) but very beneficial.

I was thinking of going back once a month to prevent injury and help the body

kennyb3 wrote: »
    how often would you get one of these? had physio recently as was injured. but also got massage on my other hamstring, both groins and both thighs. not overly enjoyable (i must be a wuzz) but very beneficial.

I was thinking of going back once a month to prevent injury and help the body

It's hard to say how much of a benefit they are and how often you need them. I'd say the more injury prone someone is (history of injury, poor biomechanics) and the harder he/she is training then the more benificial it will be to go regularly and often. I ran for years (approx. 30-40 miles per week) without ever going for a massage and had very very few injuries. For the past 2 years I've been going maybe about once every six weeks when in training. But now I've started going every 2 weeks. Right now I'm doing about 50 miles per week but it's also at a much higher intensity than what I would have been doing a few years ago.

They can be sore sometimes but in my limited experience I've usually found it to be a kind of 'good pain' where it felt like it was fixing something if you know what I mean. Even if it doesn't prevent injury as much as we'd hope, running on sore tired legs is tough going so it's nice to have them feeling fresh and new every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

It's hard to say how much of a benefit they are and how often you need them. I'd say the more injury prone someone is (history of injury, poor biomechanics) and the harder he/she is training then the more benificial it will be to go regularly and often. I ran for years (approx. 30-40 miles per week) without ever going for a massage and had very very few injuries. For the past 2 years I've been going maybe about once every six weeks when in training. But now I've started going every 2 weeks. Right now I'm doing about 50 miles per week but it's also at a much higher intensity than what I would have been doing a few years ago.

They can be sore sometimes but in my limited experience I've usually found it to be a kind of 'good pain' where it felt like it was fixing something if you know what I mean. Even if it doesn't prevent injury as much as we'd hope, running on sore tired legs is tough going so it's nice to have them feeling fresh and new every so often.
    Would you go the week of a race? I'm wondering about going of one next monday that would be a week before the marathon, have had a few from time to time but no usually near a race

A week should be fine.I think its important to stick witht he same therapist if you can as they undertand what works for you best.

Week 27, Day 5:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    40 min hard run
    Stretching
    15 press-ups
    84 sit-ups (2 variations 46+38)

Our club was winning its grade in a league and the last stage was last night so I ran the 4.5 mile road race as part of my hard run. Worked fairly well I think but the course had a really long steep downhill and it wasn't nice at all. Crossed the line in 26th and we won the team title, they would have just about won it without me anyway.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Would you go the week of a race? I'm wondering about going of one next monday that would be a week before the marathon, have had a few from time to time but no usually near a race

If you're not used to them, going very close to a race might not be a good idea. But 5 or 6 days before sounds like plenty of time to me. Mine are usually mild enough, so I'm speaking from fairly limited experience.

Week 27, Day 6:

55 min easy run
    Stretching
    15 press-ups
    84 sit-ups (2 variations 46+38)
    Moving plank (3 reps)
    Some core exercises

Week 27, Day 7:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    60 min easy run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    90 sit-ups (2 variations 40+50)

Here's a rough schedule for the coming week:

Sunday: 25 min jog / 50 min easy
    Monday: 25 min jog / 60 min easy, 4 x 100m strides
    Tuesday: 6 x 600m in 1:51, 100m jog rec.
    Wednesday: 25 min jog / 50 min steady, circuit
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: 1000m Time-Trial
    Saturday: 70 min easy, core

• Advertisement

Week 28, Day 1:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    50 min easy run
    4 x 100m sprints
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 40+60)

Was absolutely wrecked on my evening run. Think I need to get more sleep. Meant to do a session today but I might switch things around, not sure yet.

Advertisement