Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Week 28, Day 2:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    6 x 600m with 100m jog recovery (1:50, 1:51, 1:52, 1:55, 1:54, 1:55)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    90 sit-ups (2 variations 50+40)
    Moving plank exercise (3 reps)
    60 back extensions (2 variations 30+30)

Did this on a gravel track on a nice evening. Target time was 1:51 but I'm delighted with this session. Recovery was shorter than last time and I went faster than last time too. Really felt it on the sixth rep!

Week 28, Day 3:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    50 min steady run
    Stretching
    3x10 Circuit (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off)

Week 28, Day 4:

Rest day

Week 28, Day 5:

12 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    1000m Time-Trial (2:54)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    110 sit-ups (2 variations 50+60)

Put on my spikes and ran a 1000m time-trial on tartan. Nice breezy night (but seemed quite windy when running hard). Was hoping to go faster (keeping up that pace for another 500m would only have equalled my 1500 PB). Splits were roughly:

200m 33 (33)
    400m 67 (34)
    600m 1:43 (36)
    800m 2:19 (36)
    1000m 2:54 (35)

Week 28, Day 6:

70 min easy run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 60+40)
    Core exercises

Rough schedule for the week ahead:

Sun: 6 x 600m in 1:51, 50m jog rec.
    Mon: 25 min jog / 50 min steady, 4 x 100m sprints
    Tue: 25 min jog / 45 min hard
    Wed: 25 min jog / 60 min steady, Circuit
    Thu: 3 x 1200m in 3:43, 250m jog rec.
    Fri: REST
    Sat: 70 min easy, Core

• Advertisement

Week 28, Day7:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    6 x 600m with 50m jog recovery (1:51, 1:51, 1:53, 1:56, 1:58, 1:54)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    110 sit-ups (2 variations 60+50)

Not quite as fast as last time but with the recovery down to just 50 metres I think it was a fairly good session.

Week 29, Day 1:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    60 min steady run
    Stretching

Week 29, Day 2:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    45 min hard run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    90 sit-ups (2 variations 40+50)

Really windy and I struggled to hit good times on the flat 850m grass lap. Splits were:

Lap 1: 3:45
    Lap 2: 3:37
    Lap 3: 3:30
    Lap 4: 3:30
    Lap 5: 3:21
    Lap 6: 3:19
    Lap 7: 3:16
    Lap 8: 3:30
    Lap 9: 3:28
    Lap 10: 3:22
    Lap 11: 3:24
    Lap 12: 3:28
    Lap 13: 3:16
    to finish 45 minutes (distance 11.08km approx!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

some super running there, especially the later laps. you must be well pleased. when is your next race?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    some super running there, especially the later laps. you must be well pleased. when is your next race?

Ah it was a bit of a struggle really, I thought I was motoring about half way through but then I lost my momentum. I'm probably going to run a 1500m race Sunday week, looking forward to that.

• Advertisement

Week 29, Day 3:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    50 min steady run
    4 x 100m sprints
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 40+60)

Week 29, Day 4:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    3 x 1200m with 250m jog recovery (3:50, 3:55, 3:54)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 press-ups

On a slightly water-logged tartan track on a cold, wet, windy miserable night. Happy to see the times coming down along with the recovery. Looks like good progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

cfitz
    just want to ask you:
    why do you do so many pressups , sit up , moving planks etc ,is it just for strenght or does it serve another purpose ?
    do you always choose to do strides before a speed session , or when do you recommend doing them ?

It's to build upper body strength and improve my running style. I'm naturally very small/light but my legs have a lot of muscle from all the running but I think you need to be strong overall to get the best from yourself, so I try to maintain some upper-body strength too. I think it's more common to do a few circuit sessions in the week but my coach recommended just doing a small amount each day instead, so that's what I do - one half hour circuit session, one short core session, one rest day, and just a small amount of upper body work every other day.

When I'm doing an interval session I usually stride out a few times towards the end of my warm-up jog. Then before the actual reps begin I'll do some more strides and some drills if necessary. I'd do something similar before a race, though sometimes I'd just speed up for the last two minutes of my warm-up jog instead of putting in bursts.

I also do some sprints after one of my steady runs, just to remind my body how to run fast.

cfitz wrote: »
    It's to build upper body strength and improve my running style. I'm naturally very small/light but my legs have a lot of muscle from all the running but I think you need to be strong overall to get the best from yourself, so I try to maintain some upper-body strength too. I think it's more common to do a few circuit sessions in the week but my coach recommended just doing a small amount each day instead, so that's what I do - one half hour circuit session, one short core session, one rest day, and just a small amount of upper body work every other day.

When I'm doing an interval session I usually stride out a few times towards the end of my warm-up jog. Then before the actual reps begin I'll do some more strides and some drills if necessary. I'd do something similar before a race, though sometimes I'd just speed up for the last two minutes of my warm-up jog instead of putting in bursts.

I also do some sprints after one of my steady runs, just to remind my body how to run fast.
    ya the last few speed sessions i have done i found the first few rep very tough and the race i had on sunday the first 1k was very slow so i think maybe a few strides will help that
    thanks

Week 29, Day 5:

Rest day
    Sports massage

Week 29, Day 6:

70 min easy run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    Core exercises

Rough schedule for the week ahead (pretty similar again):

Sun: 6 x 600m in 1:51, 50m jog rec.
    Mon: 25 min jog / 50 min steady, 4 x 100m sprints
    Tue: 25 min jog / 45 min hard
    Wed: 25 min jog / 60 min steady, Circuit
    Thu: 3 x 1200m in 3:43, 250m jog rec.
    Fri: REST
    Sat: 70 min easy, Core

Week 29, Day7:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    6 x 600m with 50m jog recovery (1:50, 1:52, 1:54, 1:55, 1:56, 1:56)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 60+40)

On gravel track. Lovely sunny day, seemed to be breezy down the back straight. There was a big road race starting and finishing so I had to fit my track session in between the start and finish of the race. It was a bit annoying coz I was afraid that the winners would get back before I finished the session and also there were people taking stuff off a van at the side of the track. Managed to hit the same average time as last week.

Week 30, Day 1:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    60 min steady run
    Stretching

Week 30, Day 2:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    Visit to osteopath
    45 min hard run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    110 sit-ups (2 variations 60+50)

Went straight from the osteopath to training. Lovely day and things came together just nicely on the flat 850m grass lap today. Seemed to get the pace right from the start and it just felt controlled even though I was really moving. Splits were:

Lap 1: 3:24
    Lap 2: 3:19
    Lap 3: 3:14
    Lap 4: 3:12
    Lap 5: 3:11
    Lap 6: 3:16
    Lap 7: 3:17
    Lap 8: 3:08
    Lap 9: 3:06
    Lap 10: 3:05
    Lap 11: 3:09
    Lap 12: 3:09
    Lap 13: 3:06
    Lap 14: 3:00
    Finished out 12km (approx.) in 45:03.

Week 30, Day 3:

AM
    25 min jog

PM
    50 min steady run
    4 x 100m sprints
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    90 sit-ups (2 variations 40+50)

• Advertisement

Week 30, Day 4:

15 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    3 x 1200m with 250m jog recovery (3:46, 3:51, 3:54)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    100 sit-ups (2 variations 40+60)

On tartan track as usual. Big improvement on last week, very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

what was the recovery on the 1200m reps?
    u seem to do alot of core work and upper body work,do u do this all year round or ease up towards competitions?
    I cant find the time,pure lazy and when i do this i feel my life is 100% training,need to switch off after my run.
    you gona run any graded races soon?
    I know your main goal is 3k but are you gona run 800m races for speed or is 1500m your lowest distance to race on the track?

I don't record the recovery time, I just turn around and jog when I finish the rep. I think my coach figured it'd be around 1:40 but it might be longer if I'm struggling.

I do the upper body stuff pretty much all year round and would ease up slightly for some important races. I don't mind doing it too much. When I was in college I used to do it in the gym straight after training, but at home it's easy to let it drag on into the evening.

I was thinking of doing the graded 5000m next week but there might a 3000m on a few days later that I could do instead. I'll probably do the graded 3000m at the start of June too. I reckon I'll do a few 1500s, can't really see myself doing more than one 800m race if even that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 A.J

I've just read your training programme with interest. I've been out from running since Feb (managed a few of the earlier cc races) with foot problems -basically a pain in the arch of my foot. I've tried a physio, a physical therapist, a sports doctor, got new orthodics and am now going to an osteopath.

Could you post a little on how you cured your plantar? And if you received particularly good treatment from someone, would it be possible to get their contact details?

Thanks

A.J wrote: »
    I've just read your training programme with interest. I've been out from running since Feb (managed a few of the earlier cc races) with foot problems -basically a pain in the arch of my foot. I've tried a physio, a physical therapist, a sports doctor, got new orthodics and am now going to an osteopath.

Could you post a little on how you cured your plantar? And if you received particularly good treatment from someone, would it be possible to get their contact details?

Thanks

Well in the end we came to the conclusion that the problem was more the arch rather than the plantar and that it was caused (in some part anyway) by tightness along the inside of my leg just above my ankle. I'll send you a private message with some more info.

Week 30, Day 5:

Rest day

Week 30, Day 6:

70 min easy run
    Stretching
    20 press-ups
    Core exercises

Week 30, Day 7:

13 min warm-up jog
    Strides
    1500m RACE (4:30, last place)
    20 min warm-down jog
    Stretching

Headed over to the new Mondo track in Athlone on a miserable day. As the race approached it was hard tell what the conditions would be like, the rain would clear and the wind die down and the sun come out for a few minutes but then it would get bad again soon after. for the race itself, it was cold and windy, but not the worst weather of the day. The track was way different than, say, Santry or Tullamore. It left more like a carpet and it seems very kind to the legs.

I figured the race would start fast by my standards and I hit 67 for the first lap at the back, pretty much as I expected. Only thing was I felt like I was sprinting. I slowed up purposely at this point. I knew there was a danger of slowing up too much, but I was still a bit shocked and worried when I heard 2:21 at 800m. So I pushed on and felt I had run strong-ish for the rest of the race. Thought I might have run about 4:25 so I was very disappointed when I saw 4:30 on the results.

hard luck on the race , were you happy with your race strategy ?

Seres wrote: »
    hard luck on the race , were you happy with your race strategy ?

When I ran my 1500 PB of 4:21 two years ago, it was in a race like that where the standard was quite high. That time I did 66 seconds for the first lap, relaxed a bit for the second lap and then knuckled down for the rest of the race. So I figured this was a good opportunity to do something similar. Tactics-wise, things went to plan except I wonder if maybe I could have pushed harder. Given that I haven't done really fast sessions, it may have suited me better to try for consistent 69 second laps, but that would have meant running completely on my own at the start of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 little mazungo

In my opinion looking at your log, day 5 (your rest day) should of been day 6 (70mins + body conditioning work) if you rested and done just some light stretching and a 20min shake out on day 6, I believe you would of ran sub 4.22,

L M

• Advertisement

In my opinion looking at your log, day 5 (your rest day) should of been day 6 (70mins + body conditioning work) if you rested and done just some light stretching and a 20min shake out on day 6, I believe you would of ran sub 4.22,

L M

Thanks for showing an interest. Because the aim is to peak in July, I've been trying to train through my earlier races. But perhaps small adjustments to my training would be worthwhile to get more from these days. Normally before a more important race, I would just do about 10 minutes warm-up some strides and another 10 minute cool-down. Do you think that I should do a really easy day like this before all races, even if it's in the earlier phases of training?

Advertisement