Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobh Dirtiest Town; Axe to Grind

Options
  • 20-10-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Well it came as a bit of a surprise this morning to hear Cobh being labeled dirtiest town in Ireland, especially after seeing how magnificent down town looks now with the new plants around.

What other towns in the top 10 so called cleanest towns facilitates 53 cruise liners during a three month period, pedestrianise there main streets regularly to entertain afore mentioned cruise liners and put on markets and brass bands for the same purpose. Not to mention the thousands of Irish people who come to the town during the same period with there families to enjoy the festival spirit going on.
    Throwing around such lose words as "dirtiest town" during such hard times in the country by a group representing businesses, surely anyone could see this doesn’t only effect Cobh, it effects the City, Kinsale, Blarney, and all other spots in the South East that the cruise line tourists care to visit.

So after some enquiries this morning it would appear someone has an axe to grind against our proud town.

The alleged survey was carried out by IBAL (Irish Business Against Litter), the Chairman one Dr Tom Kavanagh was interviewed in the papers at the weekend about the alleged survey.
    This name might sound familiar to some, this is the same Dr Tom Kavanagh, right hand man of the Bishop and "Trustee" who applied to Cobh Town Council for permission to “re-model'‘ the sanctuary in the cathedral.

And we all know where that went, the Bishop publicly labeled a liar at the Oral Hearing in Middleton.

Could it be said he has an axe to grind? I would say the answer Deffinetly Yes is a safe bet.
    Its also interesting to Note that Dr Kavenagh comes from Fermoy, and coincidentally Fermoy is in the Top 10 of this alleged "Survey" routinely.

I would ask all you Cobhites out there to get on the phone to the radio, or email the news to high light this conflict of interests, and make known his Agenda.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Why, exactly, would anyone have it in for Cobh? Seriously, paranoid much?

And Fermoy has always been one of Ireland's cleanest towns for as long as I can remember, so I don't think your man being from Fermoy has anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SlrSham

Hello square,
    This is not just "anyone", he is a key individual who was publicly associated with the saga of the Cathedral in Cobh and the failed attempts to hood wink the population into allowing it to be altered.
    It would appear he is slightly bitter about those failed attempts.

Link to the Article and interview in the paper at the weekend.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1020/1224454388458.html

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I'm not happy about the result either and can't quite understand how Cobh can be labelled the dirtiest town. I've lived there for 5 1/2 years and find that there is so much happening, it's like living in a constant fair/festival. The place looks really bright, very atmospheric and I've never seen over-flowing bins or litter, so can't figure this out. There are streets where residents put out flower boxes, pot plants outside on the public footpath at their own expense, to add to the beauty of the town. I've seen locals sweeping their doorsteps (never have I seen this anywhere but Cobh).

The things I would complain about are derelict buildings - but I would blame the council, as derelict sites/buildings should be painted and boarded up in a tourist town, or any town. That will always irk me! If there are notices put up by the council that they are going to take over a derlict site - well they should be quicker doing it.

The other main issue would be "dog dirt" - but again, I would blame the council on this - there are not enough dog wardens in the County of Cork. If every wandering dog was taken away and owners fined for having them loose on the streets - then that would automatically stop the dog faeces all over the place. But I would say that areas like Crosshaven would be just as bad when it comes to dogs on the loose. I've also seen owners walking their dogs and letting them mess up the pavements/road and continue walking. Again - instant fines would stop this.

One of the articles I read in yesterday's paper was slamming Cobh as a tourist town with the CruiseShips coming in to the harbour and this was what they had to see i.e. this dirty town. Yet, every ship that sails into Cork Harbour has to pass Fort Camden, at the harbour entrance - and every passenger sees massive graffiti covered walls and derelict buildings on the waterfront. So that's their first taste of Cork, not Cobh. And yet nobody comments on this.

Walking around Kinsale with a friend from the Netherlands a few months ago, a pouring rainy day, shops closed, streets dug up for drainage and the place was stinking. I was appalled and felt like I'd never go there again.

So give Cobh a break - we don't have a load of dirty locals, we have a town of people who have more pride in their town then most. We have tourists who visit and love the place and they return!

Yes, I would be curious as to how it was decided that Cobh was the dirtiest. J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SlrSham

Good Post Judes,

I think it’s very obvious why we were labeled dirtiest town, as I have posted above.
    If you look at other towns at the bottom of the list, it’s clear the man has an agenda.
    Anyone who has been to Tullamore and driven around the bypass and seen the so called settled traveler camps overflowing with rubbish, and this can be compared to Cobh?
    And if you were even to compare Cobh to his home town in Fermoy, they are not light years apart in cleanliness on any given day, and even if they were Fermoy doesnt have half the through put of tourists with half the size of town to take care of, and you can be sure the week before the survey was carried out or even the month before, they got a phone call to tell them when it was being carried out and to spruce things up.

Advertisement