Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ Set in McDonaghs building on Merchants Rd Sat night...

Options
  • 20-10-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Anyone there or try to get in there? Looked like a decent setup. We got there just as the coppers were closing the place down though :( Cops looked about 18 years old, funny as f@ck :D Eejits didn't have a licence apparently! Anyway was it any good? We didn't manage to get in

By the way, walking through Galway at 2am relatively sober is hilarious. I was kept thoroughly entertained by the amount of clowns swinging from lamp posts and cops searching banged-up, boy-racer honda civics around dominic st

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

howd they get in?

did they break in?

this place has been empty for ages...would make a great bar though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The gigs all week weren't bad, I think people were encouraged to BYOB! There were lots of posters u on the windows on Sat advertising a certain beer (cannot remember what) so surely they had a license...bit bizarre covering the windows with beer advertisements and the cops only decking it at 1.30am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I didn't get in either. Got to the door about two minutes after the gards so they lads on the door started turning people away. A friend of mine got in though and he couldn't say how bad he thought it was. They were selling drink inside but it was just what the lads who set it up brought themselves and with a bit of a mark up of course. Glad I ended up not going. I was half dragged to it as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

ya lots of people were talking about this "rave" on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Walked past the place at about 11pm but didn't bother going in. There were 2 cops there at the time who were just curious, they just asked what was going on and wandered off.

Nobody broke in afaik, it was all legal and properly organised as far as I could tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

it was the closing party to artisit? http://www.thisisthenextthing.com/
    they'd been havin there get togethers in nimmos over the last few weeks but decided to have the closing party in a bigger venue. good vibes!
    didnt make it myself tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

cornbb wrote: »
    Walked past the place at about 11pm but didn't bother going in. There were 2 cops there at the time who were just curious, they just asked what was going on and wandered off.

Nobody broke in afaik, it was all legal and properly organised as far as I could tell.

My friend that was there said otherwise. They didn't have a permit or whatever it was they needed so the gardai shut it down. That's what I heard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    By the way, walking through Galway at 2am relatively sober is hilarious. I was kept thoroughly entertained by the amount of clowns swinging from lamp posts
    Lol, Galway is nuts at night. I was away in 3 different countrys, I was in Riga the stag capitol of Europe and it hadn't a patch on Galway, I arrived back in Galway at 3am and saw people women just passed out on the street, drunks singer the town was wedged I've never come across a place like it anywhere. but I suppose half that could be just that every one gets thrown out at the same time.

well this thing has caused a bit of a war in the arts community!!

i was told by a pal in the know that the building had been given by its owners for a few weeks to this gang for exhibition sapce. but they went and fecked it up by bringing dj sets and beer into the place. so legal to a point but not when booze and late nights come into it, could have had alot of negative consequences - h&s, insurences, the sale of beer without a license etc etc

now the oweners are going to cancel the use of the building by the Tulca fesitval because of what happened, so its fecked it up for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

i was told by a pal in the know that the building had been given by its owners for a few weeks to this gang for exhibition sapce. but they went and fecked it up by bringing dj sets and beer into the place. so legal to a point but not when booze and late nights come into it, could have had alot of negative consequences - h&s, insurences, the sale of beer without a license etc etc

now the oweners are going to cancel the use of the building by the Tulca fesitval because of what happened, so its fecked it up for them...

That's sh*te..too bad.

• Advertisement

the building was used throughout the festival for exhibitions along with other galleries and spaces around town not just for this party. I doubt very much that they didnt have permission off the owners to having a closing party. It was not a rave. they didnt have a bar, as in taps, or anything.
    All the money generated went to the organisation and funding of the festival. They dont get any funding from local or state services and to this end they have had to have loads of nights in nimmos and other places to raise money. This is the third year of this and hopefully it will grow as it showcases art from local young artists in various different types of media.
    i think they can be forgiven for this minor indescretion which should not tar an otherwise succesful festival.

well the latest i got is tulca is back on, was hangin in the balance there today from what i know.

just on the other guys, it says on the website that they have received sponsorship from the followin:

Artisit? is kindly supported by:
    The Arts Council
    Culture Ireland
    Galway City Council
    Bristish Council
    Centre of Icelandic Art
    Sponsors
    Mary & Sheila Gallagher
    Beirhaus
    Krombacher
    Niland House
    Ard Bia
    Studio Warehouse
    Brando Screenprinting
    Anne & John Marshall

so despite them sellin krombacher u would have thought that may be enough. theres a couple of state connected bodies there! dont think anyone is penalisin them though, unless the gardai are takin it further. but their actions nearly got tulca ****ed over !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Who or what is Tulca?

I'm not googling. It's too late.

kraggy wrote: »
    Who or what is Tulca?

I'm not googling. It's too late.

www.tulca.ie

"Tulca is an annual Galway City and County based season of contemporary visual art exhibitions, live-art performances, discussions & talks that aim to offer opportunities to local, national and international artists. Galway as a meeting place for artists was implicit in the theme of TULCA 2006 (within and without) and was expanded in TULCA 2007 with Hospitality (city of Strangers). "

i stand corrected then!
    i think the first year of it they had very little financial support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwayfeen

i was gonna make a topic about this aswell lol,i arrived with a few friends
    and it actually looked like a proper rave(we were told it was a rave),we got in around the back when everyone was gettin kicked out by those shades that didn't know what was going on:pac:.fair play to the people who brought in equipment..etc.It made me wonder is there any free partys/raves that go on?
    i'm not gettin anything from google a the mo

Advertisement