Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for ovens

Options
  • 20-10-2008 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi All, just wondering if I need seperate wires for two single ovens placed side by side? Or is one enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

aido182 wrote: »
    Hi All, just wondering if I need seperate wires for two single ovens placed side by side? Or is one enough?

Ummmm your question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string?"......

Firstly what size are each of the ovens in KWs?

Then you need to choose the correct size cable to supply each oven, or both of them. If you have the correct size cable you could run both ovens off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

+1

With the low running current of many modern ovens, the old 6.sq.mm cable per device has become murky, one cable may well be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

+1

The rating can be found on the back of the oven

Many modern ovens would be below 4kW. I have seen some at just 1.5 kW !!
    (Gormet Pride)

Two 4kW individual ovens on a 6 square would be fine, but it can be hard to join 6 square cables. If one of the ovens has terminals that are designed to take lugs this can make it easy to join the cables. I have found that MK make cooker switches that give plenty of space for cables. They are more expensive, but very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

it could be 2 "easy bake" ovens with light bulbs for heating elements or it could be 2 industrial pizza ovens, who knows without more information... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

2 20 amp circuits and a dual box would would be best practice. you can fit spurs or 20 amp switches then depending on the rating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

2 20 amp circuits and a dual box would would be best practice.

Bad advice. Best pactice would depend mainly on the size of the load!

As DublinDilbert correctly pointed out:
    Firstly what size are each of the ovens in KWs?

Then you need to choose the correct size cable to supply each oven, or both of them. If you have the correct size cable you could run both ovens off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

ya i was assuming they're small lumping appliances together isnt recommended ovens and hobs etc should be seperated ideally thats why they make em seperate

Advertisement