Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repackaged Albums

Options
  • 20-10-2008 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Is this a good or a bad idea???????

You buy the cd album and then a few months later its out again repackaged with new tracks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just more death throes of the music industry.

Sometimes I check out the new tracks by downloading, before buy them. Only if I really, really like the band though. More often than not, the tracks were left of the original album for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Product Cycle Life Curve.

It's not a comment on the quality of the album itself, but the record companies will dicky the album up in attempts to squeeze out a few more sales from it. The same idea lies behind "new improved" or "new recipe" labels you see on food products.

Ironically, maybe stovelid is correct and the record industry is at the end of its own life cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

I hate when re-released albums have chunks of “bonus tracks” pinned on to the end of them. I don’t mind if they come on a second disc/record, then I can discard it if it’s bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

JP Liz wrote: »
    Is this a good or a bad idea???????

You buy the cd album and then a few months later its out again repackaged with new tracks

It depends...
    If the CD was originally issued out about 20 years ago, then yeah, a good idea because albums had a really low quality sound (U2's The Joshua Tree, The Mission's Children are two good albums), so it's good to have albums where you don't have to turn the volume up all the way to strain to hear them. Plus rare b-sides are always a plus.

If the album only came out one or two years earlier, then no. That's just inexcusable. You can't see technology advancing 10-20 years ahead of time so older albums are justified in remasters. Hence why i don't mind getting earlier U2 album remasters, but they can go whistle for it after Achtung Baby because it was possible to master CD's properly by that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Repackaging is a good thing as long as the new songs are available to download for free for the people who bought the album originally (ala Wilco). If not, it's despicable. They're just screwing over the real fans, as they're the ones who tend to buy the album the day it comes out and they encourage torrenting and what not

• Advertisement
Advertisement