Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDCi re-map

Options
  • 20-10-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just a few questions on remapping, i was considering getting my mondeo TDCi remapped as i do a fair bit of boat towing and the extra torque could be useful.

In relation to this i have heard that the computers on the TDCi mondeos can sometimes un-map the re-map and undo its benefits, anyone have an opinion on this? Could the clutch and such on the car handle the extra power in the first place?

Oh and one other thing could garage/dealer dianostics tell if the ECU has been re-mapped, say in case of a bang(where it had not been delcared to insurance) and your insurance company wanted to slither out of cover.

Thanks for any info

Tin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

The engine in the LX Zetec and Ghia are all the same, just mapped differently. You can remap an LX and Zetec to the same performance of a Ghia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

tin79 wrote: »
    Oh and one other thing could garage/dealer dianostics tell if the ECU has been re-mapped, say in case of a bang(where it had not been delcared to insurance) and your insurance company wanted to slither out of cover.

If you modify the car and do not tell the insurance, they are not "slithering" out of cover: you are invalidating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Get it done properly, by a professional remapper, not someone out of the buyandsell with a laptop and it should be fine.

Some guys here have used http://www.chippedire.com and have found him to be very good. He should answer your questions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Was thinking of getting this done to my own car to get an extra 16BHP & 25NM Torque. It costs around €500 right?

Just wondering if anyone on here got it done to their petrol car?

Mine would go form 192BHP to 208BHP & 245Nm Torque to 270Nm. Don't even know why I want it done! Just cos it can be done I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

slithering , invalidating, i wasnt having a go at insurers it was light hearted. thanks for the input though, interesting that you picked that out of the post. you arent a policy maker for quinn-direct are you :D

Thanks might check that site out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Have a look at the superchips bluefin, it's a hand held device that uploads a new map to the ecu. I had it for my tdci focus and it was a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Careful with the insurance. If there was a "bang" and no one was injused, no problem. The problem arises when you actually need to use the insurance company for "insurance" - ie. if there was a death caused by your car or if your car was involved in a serious accident. Then yes of course they would check out the car.
    I would seriously doubt that the premium would jump too much, when you tell them.
    It would be different however if you were dealing with 3 or 400 BHP. Then they would load your premium accordingly.
    Hardly for 90 or 110 to 130 or 140 bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

cheers cashmni, yeah i would say it to the insurance company alright anyway. but the guy who suggested looking into it told me not to bother, which is why i asked.

does anyone know if the TDCi ECU would alter the re-map? Would clutch and brakes be ok for the extra power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

tin79 wrote: »
    cheers cashmni, yeah i would say it to the insurance company alright anyway. but the guy who suggested looking into it told me not to bother, which is why i asked.

does anyone know if the TDCi ECU would alter the re-map? Would clutch and brakes be ok for the extra power?

Never had a problem with the ecu altering the re-map on mine, my car had the latest ecu (at the time), the delphi unit. If it was un-mapped you could just reload it with the bluefin unit.

The brakes were never very good on the focus to start with, discs are very small. You could upgrade discs, pads and calipers off the st170 as they are bigger.
    I had no problems with clutch or gearbox, the mtx75 box if a heavy duty unit so should be well up to the job:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 karlx5

talk to peter 087 2576795

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Get one of these - I have one in my X-Type which has the same engine - http://tuning-diesels.com/

Advertisement