Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fable 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Picked it up in game yesterday, was pretty surprised cus i thought it was out today.Cant wait to dive in , besides IGN usa's review everyone else has given it amazing reviews ! Especialy EDGE's review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I think theres still a place for it. It is a pretty unnatural mechanic, but in terms of strategy it allows far more scope for experimentation and planning than real time combat. I think a lot of RPGs have struggled to intergrate enjoyable real-time combat (Mass Effect probably comes closest, but still feels a bit off) while really refined turn based combat can be an engrossing and tactical affair. Something like Eternal Sonata is a good compromise between the two (although FFXII was a bit of a failure in that sense), and especially when they do away with random battles turn based RPGs are a fine genre. Maybe its just nostalgic, but I prefer the combat of Persona 3 or Dragon Quest to any of the real time combat RPGs.

As for Fable 2, these good reviews are really promising. I'm still leaning towards Far Cry 2 tomorrow, but I'm beginning to think Fable may be a good choice. Anyone played both yet?

Fallout 3 is looking pretty promising with its combat system, I'm going to wait until next week and get that instead, maybe get Fable in a few months when I have more time. I agree about Mass Effect, it was a good effort but the combat in that got really boring after the first couple of hours. Diablo 2 had the best combat system in an RPG imo, man I used to love that game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Picked this up this morning. I'm going away for the long weekend tho, so I'll have to content myself with reading through the manual and looking at the disk for 3 days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭trig740

was playing it last night,only for a hour or so but damn its good and its only going to get better the longer i play it. whats everyone else think about it? i have to get as much out of it as i can this week cos fallout is out next friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If anyone is looking to pick it up heres the prices I spotted today:
    €49.95 in Game
    €60.00 Zavvi
    €39.00 + €3 postage on Play-Asia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

If anyone is looking to pick it up heres the prices I spotted today:
    €49.95 in Game
    €60.00 Zavvi
    €39.00 + €3 postage on Play-Asia

wow Zavvi always use to be a few quid cheaper than Game. Guess they have changed their policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

voxpop wrote: »
    wow Zavvi always use to be a few quid cheaper than Game. Guess they have changed their policy.

Zavvi seem to have one new release on offer for €55 each week with the
    others ful RRP. Pretty sure it's Far Cry 2 at the mo'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Got this today for 50 in game but ah console stil off in germany being repaired so week till i get to play it:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I was planning on getting it tomorrow.

Anyone have a chance to play it today, is it worth my very endangered Euros?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played the first two or so hours there (ended up getting it instead of Far Cry 2, based on the logic GoW will be a decent shooter fix in a fortnight) and definitely seems promising. If one thing is standing out so far, it is the art design, which really conjures up a picturesque world (very early spoiler
    in particular the snow falling by the stain-glass window when you enter the main castle chamber
    ). Combat is also decent, not the disaster this whole 'one attack button' hype was suggesting (you have melee, magic and ranged which are three combat buttons in my eyes). Number of weird glitches would be my major gripe at the moment: none game ruining, but a few distracting ones (getting stuck in one spot for a few seconds, dialogue oddness).

Very early stages yet for a game like this, but yeah looking good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anyone know how you're meant to unlock the bonus stuff on the limited edition?

humanji wrote: »
    Anyone know how you're meant to unlock the bonus stuff on the limited edition?

You unlock it later in the game, in a chest.

Do you want to know what is in it?
    Its a costume of armour from Halo 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

ya i unlock the gear that came with the limited edition, pretty cool stuff

ya i unlock the gear that came with the limited edition, pretty cool stuff

I think ill get hours of fun out of this one..

And with Fallout 3 coming next week, its a good year for xbox games.

By the way, my player id is CaoimhinD and i have NO friends at the moment:(.

I tried to play onlne with a few yanks but tbh thire a shower of ass holes..

Anyone want to send me a message or could we even start a group, is there a boards xbox live group already?

Thanks lads.

Im about 4hrs into it and it is like crystal meth. Cant get enough of it ! Its got a good mix of oblivion style hoarding costumes and equiptment mixed with an excelent combat system that seems easy at first but turns out to be a deep and satisfying system after a few hrs. Graphics/story/dialogue/art design/music/ai all well above the average standard.

Great game love it 10/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Caoimhín wrote: »
    By the way, my player id is CaoimhinD and i have NO friends at the moment:(.

Tried to add you there and saying gamertag does not exist on Xbox Live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Been hit with the freezing bug and one of the game breaking bugs as well (not even sure how I managed to get the game breaking one.

I tried starting a new Game and can't get by the first Child hood fight. Its extremely frustrating. Will give it another go, but seriously considering getting my money back on this, due to all the issues.

wes wrote: »
    Been hit with the freezing bug and one of the game breaking bugs as well (not even sure how I managed to get the game breaking one.

I tried starting a new Game and can't get by the first Child hood fight. Its extremely frustrating. Will give it another go, but seriously considering getting my money back on this, due to all the issues.

Havent been hit with any issues at all,saw a guy walk of a bridge for no reason but thats about it. screen tends to stick for a few moments after you use a dye on your clothes and a moon appeared on the screen for no reason once but i just saved and continued and it was gone. Still loving it by the way , just got engaged - brought my wife to the forest and killed her moo hahahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

All in all it was a great game and its gonna have lots of replay value to get all the achivements and such. The one problem i had with it was the ending. Is it just me or did anyone else feel a bit let down by it. I just felt like "oh thats it?" and im not taling about the length here but the way it ended with absolutely no boss fighting. I was pretty disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

loving this so far. My only complaint is the camera control in co-op. I played a bi of co-op with my wife and it was great out in the open but navigating and fighting together in a cave system was very frustrating. I don't know why they take camera control away from you in co-op. Surely it would be easy enough to keep camera control in the hands of the Hero?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've played for about two hours, loving it. The dog is great addition. I was gonna be evil for my first playthrough, but the thought of abusing him put me off the idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mr. K wrote: »
    I've played for about two hours, loving it. The dog is great addition. I was gonna be evil for my first playthrough, but the thought of abusing him put me off the idea!
    Lol, I'm the same. I wonder how many people were forced to be good simply because they felt bad mistreating the dog? :D

Hey lads.

In the first hour or so, in the first quest, the creepy lady tells you to go into the chamber where you receive your first magic powers ability.

There is a chest in it and to open it it asks you to go to the website http://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/splash/f/fable2/default.htm

Now its just the xbox website with a bit about fable2. Is there anything to this or is it just a shameless try to get you yo go to the xbox site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think its very hard NOT to be evil, im pretty sure the game plays easier when your a badass.

Trying to find a wife so I can cheat on her :D happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Word to the wise, my dog love me and vice versa and my evil and corruption bars are maxed out, so you don't have to get rid of the dog if you want to be evil.

Currently playing the property market, have bought nearly all of bowerstone at this point, and bought all of oakfield after i crashed the economy there, going to work on bringing the economy there back up so i can increase the rent prices, currently raking the money in, about 15000 every 5 minutes from all my enterprises, kinda reminds me of our country.

Hey please try to keep talk about the ending in spoiler tags jeeeees.Or major plot points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Word to the wise, my dog love me and vice versa and my evil and corruption bars are maxed out, so you don't have to get rid of the dog if you want to be evil.

Currently playing the property market, have bought nearly all of bowerstone at this point, and bought all of oakfield after i crashed the economy there, going to work on bringing the economy there back up so i can increase the rent prices, currently raking the money in, about 15000 every 5 minutes from all my enterprises, kinda reminds me of our country.

How do you crash the economy? sounds like fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Branoic wrote: »
    loving this so far. My only complaint is the camera control in co-op. I played a bi of co-op with my wife and it was great out in the open but navigating and fighting together in a cave system was very frustrating. I don't know why they take camera control away from you in co-op. Surely it would be easy enough to keep camera control in the hands of the Hero?

You think thats bad. Try playing co op online. Its just stupid. Everytime player one does anything like, interacting, looking at the map, buying in shops, basically anything that isn't combat or walking. The game pauses and says waiting on player one. I played sat night for about 20 mins, 2mins of which I actually played the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

This thing is buggy as hell.

1) Floating character. My guy decided walking was for losers and started floating around and was unable to interact with anything. I fluked a fix for it: aim your gun (tis an upgrade I had) and he came back down to earth.

2) The abbott bug has been reported as game breaking, which I avoided thank god.

3) CONSTANT freezing and black screening, this happens every half hour or so, especially during cut scenes. Rubbish.

4) Losing ALL experience and gold. That is NOT fun

I'm sick to the teeth of it. I'm gonna get fallout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This thing is buggy as hell.

1) Floating character. My guy decided walking was for losers and started floating around and was unable to interact with anything. I fluked a fix for it: aim your gun (tis an upgrade I had) and he came back down to earth.

2) The abbott bug has been reported as game breaking, which I avoided thank god.

3) CONSTANT freezing and black screening, this happens every half hour or so, especially during cut scenes. Rubbish.

4) Losing ALL experience and gold. That is NOT fun

I'm sick to the teeth of it. I'm gonna get fallout.

Whoa they sound rough, luckily have experienced none of them but I have 2 which do get annoying

1. People following you in quests repeating what they say (not big deal for me but its there)

2. When the left trigger is pressed a persons disposition towards you appears on top of the screen, when y is pressed, you learn more about their likes and dislikes. Problem is sometimes that little info screen that appears when you presses the left trigger will not go away so when you get to a fight you cant use a gun as pressing y brings up info on the person.

There are a few things which get to me about the game, Stupid loading times when going from one area to another, when you consider how small these areas are its pretty shameful. Again the game for me is very linear, which is quite disappointing.

Definitely enjoying the game and the bads have not driven me away yet so that's a plus.

Advertisement