Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fable 2

Comments

Ok, Bought the game, played a couple of hours of it last night. The humour in it kind of reminds me of "The Bards Tale" back when I had a PS2. It's good so far, I'm enjoying it, though after so many hundred hours playing Oblivion, a new control system is taking a while to get used to. Need to really sit down and dedicate my attention to it though, last night I was just messing around with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I love this game. Ploughed through
    The Crucible
    last night, great fun. I am Lionheart!!! :)

Can't wait to get back into it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Finished the game last night. My character is fairly maxed out. Am bitterly disappointed I must say. There were some nice moments but the whole thing smacks of last generation game making. It's FAR too easy, the augments on the weapons make it nearly impossible NOT to win. You can't die anyway...

The ending was abysmal about 1 minute long and had NO bearing on my character or any choices I had made in the game. I am really really annoyed at this game. I really enjoyed the original and was looking forward to this.

This game is much more suited to someone new to games. Easy button bashing combat, easy missions, trail leading you everywhere etc...

I had to restart the game from scratch due to bugs and glitches, some game breaking some so frustrating I'd have to turn the console off.

This thing is going right back to game for a nice copy of fallout 3! P:icked up far cry 2 and have hopes it will make fable 2 a distant memory!

In this day and age a game with these bugs is NOT acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I knew the 10/10 from EG smelled fishy on this one.

I thought Fable 1 was over-rated and couldn't get into it.

I reckon i'll wait til this one hits the bargain bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

quarryman wrote: »
    I knew the 10/10 from EG smelled fishy on this one.

This game is definitely not a 10, I had a bug last night where every time I got out of the water I'd draw my rifle :confused: SO those things alone stop it from being perfect.
    I thought Fable 1 was over-rated and couldn't get into it.

Me too, I finished Fable but thought it was very over rated. I am enjoying this much more (might be because I stay away from all media on games bar what I read here). Two of my favourite things are how the town populations react to you and buying property.

One of the guys on the Fallout 3 thread in the games forum said if you have a fight and there are some NPCs standing close by they don't even blink or comment on it. That sounds well dodge in this day and age. Halo is what 7 years old at this stage and that had better AI and so does Fable 2 by the sounds of it.

One of my main complaints with Fable 2 is that there is no map on screen. I found this very tough to get used to, I could not navigate at all. So in its place to aid navigation is the golden trail. Now this works brilliantly, gets you from A to B no problem but I find it gives me tunnel vision and I ignore the surrounding countryside (which is a shame as it is a well crafted game world) and therefore after about 20 hours of game play I still cant navigate easily without the golden trail.
    I reckon i'll wait til this one hits the bargain bin.

For me the good outweigh the bad. I am purposefully avoiding the main story missions because I don't want it to end yet. I keep doing the side quests and there are a good amount of them to keep me going.

Definitely better than Fable but I don't know if it would be your cup of tea.

• Advertisement

The ending was abysmal about 1 minute long and had NO bearing on my character or any choices I had made in the game. I am really really annoyed at this game. I really enjoyed the original and was looking forward to this.

Looking forward to it too much by the sound of things. I played the original for hours upon hours, was a huge fan of it and think it got an unfairly hard time from gamers.

I can't think of a single way in which this game does not improve on the original with the exception of these bugs you mention. For the record, I have encountered exactly 0... but I do concede that they exist.

It is very easy, but you're playing as a hero, why shouldn't it be? Why do games need to be hard? Make a game easier and you can become more engrossed in the art, the music and the world in general.

Bravo to Lionhead I say!! :D

Looking forward to it too much by the sound of things. I played the original for hours upon hours, was a huge fan of it and think it got an unfairly hard time from gamers.

I can't think of a single way in which this game does not improve on the original with the exception of these bugs you mention. For the record, I have encountered exactly 0... but I do concede that they exist.

It is very easy, but you're playing as a hero, why shouldn't it be? Why do games need to be hard? Make a game easier and you can become more engrossed in the art, the music and the world in general.

Bravo to Lionhead I say!! :D

All valid points to be fair. I personally prefer a challenge in these things. I understand what you mean about enjoying the art etc, but i found the graphics quite last gen in many places, the music wasn't danny elfman who I love so probably a bit biased (it's still great though)!

Guess my tastes have changed over the years, I really couldn't get invested in this game at all. I hoped for more with the ending, anything would have been nice. As soon as I finished it I turned it off. With Oblivion I finished every side mission I had left, and then got shivering isles! That game just grabbed me so much more in every way. That said plenty hate it!

All valid points to be fair. I personally prefer a challenge in these things. I understand what you mean about enjoying the art etc, but i found the graphics quite last gen in many places, the music wasn't danny elfman who I love so probably a bit biased (it's still great though)!

Guess my tastes have changed over the years, I really couldn't get invested in this game at all. I hoped for more with the ending, anything would have been nice. As soon as I finished it I turned it off. With Oblivion I finished every side mission I had left, and then got shivering isles! That game just grabbed me so much more in every way. That said plenty hate it!

Ya, I dig what your saying alright. Also a big Oblivion fan here, got the Shivering Isles too. They're very different games alright. Whatever way you look at things, roll on Fallout 3 :)

I really couldn't get invested in this game at all.

To be honest dude if I got the problems you did I would have thrown the disc out the window or used it as a clay pigeon and shot it.

What angered me was a phone call with Game

"We know about that, there'll be a patch"
    Me: But it's broken
    Them: No no it'll be patched
    Me: I want my money back or an exchange
    Them: But there's a patch in a few weeks.
    Me: I have no online and I want a game that works that I can play
    Them: But this problem is known to microsoft...
    and so on and so on, until

Manager: yeah bring it over but if you damaged the disc or are trying to rip us off you wont get anything.

I'm going over tomorrow and I'm gonna break the disk in half right in front of that pompus idiot. Once I buy fallout! They've lost a customer, getting my points off my card and NEVER going back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

My copy still didn't arrive from play-asia, really disappointed, was hoping to play it over the mid-term. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow so I will at least have the weekend to play it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Anyone have a Lucien doll they can sell me?
    (For those that haven't checked or don't know, you get a doll for 2nd prize in the shooting contest)
    Drop me a message on XBL (GT: psychokitten) if you have it! Will give you moneys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Finished with SM: WoS so this gets my full attention now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

What angered me was a phone call with Game

"We know about that, there'll be a patch"
    Me: But it's broken
    Them: No no it'll be patched
    Me: I want my money back or an exchange
    Them: But there's a patch in a few weeks.
    Me: I have no online and I want a game that works that I can play
    Them: But this problem is known to microsoft...
    and so on and so on, until

Manager: yeah bring it over but if you damaged the disc or are trying to rip us off you wont get anything.

I'm going over tomorrow and I'm gonna break the disk in half right in front of that pompus idiot. Once I buy fallout! They've lost a customer, getting my points off my card and NEVER going back.

what game was this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

was gonna buy this game today, but seen as I only have enough for one game between dead space, fable 2 and fallout 3 I settle on waiting for tomoro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I usually find that managers in game shops in general are pretty much the most unhelpful bunch of arsebags. i prefer dealing with an ordinary member of staff, much more approachable and easier to deal with

koneko wrote: »
    Anyone have a Lucien doll they can sell me?
    (For those that haven't checked or don't know, you get a doll for 2nd prize in the shooting contest)
    Drop me a message on XBL (GT: psychokitten) if you have it! Will give you moneys :)

I ain't got the doll yet. So, here's a question. Could I try and reload till I get him, and if he's your last, can I be there when you get the achievement, because it's the hardest from what I can make out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I ain't got the doll yet. So, here's a question. Could I try and reload till I get him, and if he's your last, can I be there when you get the achievement, because it's the hardest from what I can make out??

You can only get one doll per "world", ie if you get the Garth doll (like I did) that's all you can get. You have to trade with other people to get the other dolls.

*sighs*

Time to put Fable 2 into my little pile with Mercenaries 2 titled 'Play Again When Patched'.

I'm getting constant freezing, normally when I skip a conversation. It just hands. The environment still moves, but characters don't. I'm getting sick of games that I'm looking forward to being ruined by shoddy QA. If it's not done, don't release it. I'd rather wait an extra 6 months and get a finished game than get a botch job, and wait for a patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Is there much of the game left after you meet the third hero?
    Have been playing through the game at an extremely leisurely pace, just doing side quests and getting together enough money to buy all of the property, but I'm almost at that point now and don't want it to be over this soon...
    Gotta love having 12000G added to your balance every 5 minutes:)

Pretty decent game anyway... a generous 9/10 for me so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Just completed it there..after you get to the third hero,you have 1 boss left,you then have an odd perfect world scenario(dunno what the hell it was about)..then the climax...Game was good but the climax was fairly poor...no final boss battle..wtf like..i like the final choice you had to make in the game..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tman wrote: »
    Have been playing through the game at an extremely leisurely pace, just doing side quests and getting together enough money to buy all of the property, but I'm almost at that point now and don't want it to be over this soon...
    Gotta love having 12000G added to your balance every 5 minutes:)

Pretty decent game anyway... a generous 9/10 for me so far

I love the way your bank increases as you progress. Buying the blacksmith and the inn adds a huge amount to your bank. The best part is turning the game on every day. Didn't have a chance to play on Friday, turned it on on Saturday and got 220,000 gold which bought me a fair few of the expensive properties :)

One game where the difficulty doesn't have to scale really. By the time you get around to level 5 Inferno, you are pretty much sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

dazftw wrote: »
    omg :eek: im so doing that to my friends family! Hes getting it friday and will play more than me cause ive too many games to play.. my 1st day playing will go like this..

Hey dean show me your family.. ok... wtf are you doing!?!?! NOOOOO :D

LOL.

Anyone get the Limited Edition version?

chrislad wrote: »
    *sighs*

Time to put Fable 2 into my little pile with Mercenaries 2 titled 'Play Again When Patched'.

I'm getting constant freezing, normally when I skip a conversation. It just hands. The environment still moves, but characters don't. I'm getting sick of games that I'm looking forward to being ruined by shoddy QA. If it's not done, don't release it. I'd rather wait an extra 6 months and get a finished game than get a botch job, and wait for a patch.

And its only going to get worse with the ability to install games.

QA of some games in the last year or 2 has been shocking. What's worse is the reviews some of these games are getting. It only rewards sh1t practices.

Now I have not got any bugs big enough to make me stop playing Fable 2 as it really is an enjoyable game but I have had quite a few small ones, enough to make me think that there is actually no one working in QA.

Or else its like this.

QA Engineer: " hey guys I found another bug, its a pretty obvious one, a lot of people will notice this, we should really sort this before release"
    Marketing Person: "I predict we will lose very little sales to this, we can always patch it after release"
    Team Leader: "Lets release it, we know its broken but we can patch it"
    Game release with known bugs.

That pisses me right off tbh.

It was the one in Dundrum.

I ditched Fable 2 and got Fallout 3 and Dead Space and all I can say to both games is WOW. They absolutely rule thus far and I'm very happy I got them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Vegeta wrote: »
    And its only going to get worse with the ability to install games.

QA of some games in the last year or 2 has been shocking. What's worse is the reviews some of these games are getting. It only rewards sh1t practices.

Now I have not got any bugs big enough to make me stop playing Fable 2 as it really is an enjoyable game but I have had quite a few small ones, enough to make me think that there is actually no one working in QA.

Or else its like this.

QA Engineer: " hey guys I found another bug, its a pretty obvious one, a lot of people will notice this, we should really sort this before release"
    Marketing Person: "I predict we will lose very little sales to this, we can always patch it after release"
    Team Leader: "Lets release it, we know its broken but we can patch it"
    Game release with known bugs.

That pisses me right off tbh.

You've just described every software development company on Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've played a few hours of it now, now major bugs so far and I'm really enjoying it, despite not normally being an RPG fan, so much so that I'm not bothered with the GoW2 hype.

Draupnir wrote: »
    You've just described every software development company on Earth.

There was no patching console games for a long time so obviously they were doing something right in the past

Patches and console games is quite a new thing and is not good for QA in my opinion as it allows the above practice to be even more common place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Vegeta wrote: »
    There was no patching console games for a long time so obviously they were doing something right in the past

Patches and console games is quite a new thing and is not good for QA in my opinion as it allows the above practice to be even more common place.

I agree with your point that being able to patch games is not good for QA, but it realistically just allows games developers to behave as every software development company does. It's the reason that QA and bug monitoring tools provide ways of rating bugs and the priority in fixing them.

Another thing is, the games industry wasn't half as lucrative or cutthroat as it is now even 8 years ago, which I think is forcing developers to get games out as quickly as possible to survive.

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote: »
    I agree with your point that being able to patch games is not good for QA, but it realistically just allows games developers to behave as every software development company does. It's the reason that QA and bug monitoring tools provide ways of rating bugs and the priority in fixing them.

Another thing is, the games industry wasn't half as lucrative or cutthroat as it is now even 8 years ago, which I think is forcing developers to get games out as quickly as possible to survive.

Fable 2 has been in development longer than all of the other games I've played recenty: Quantum of Solace, FIFA 2009, Blazing Angels 2, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. Between all of those 4 games, I've had one freeze. So far, Fable has done it each and every time I play it. I don't stop playing Fable because I want to: I'm forced to. I tried to play it again there, and it froze when I went to pause the game to get my map up. I'm going to wait for the NXE, and hopefully it will be smoother running from the HD.

Advertisement