Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massa or Ham? Who do WANT to win the Title?

• 20-10-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Ok so lets just get an idea of who people would prefer to win the championship.

Dont vote for who you think is gonna win.

Just vote for who you want to lift the trophy.

And feel free to explain why!

Massa or Hamilton? who do you WANT to take the title? 48 votes

Massa
    0% 0 votes
    Hamilton
    100% 48 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

I go for Massa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Ok so lets just get an idea of who people would prefer to win the championship.

I'd prefer to see Kubica win it but he's not in the poll.:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hamilton in a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Massa to win the drivers title in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Hamilton, definitely deserves it more than Massa.
    I firmly believe Hamilton is a better driver, even though he's an ar$e. You can't doubt the man's talents. Massa's not enough of a "racer" for my liking, also after all the stirring/medaling that the FIA are doing in this years championship i DEFINITELY do not want a Ferrari to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I would like to see Massa win it, its out of his hands though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

i hope ham wins it he is a working class hero came up through karting ranks
    his dad had to do meniel jobs to get money to pay for the young fella
    if he wins it would make a great book or film one of the underdog
    where as massa typical of all brazilian drivers bought his way to geting a seat in formula 1 , rich dad again same as senna and barrochello he looks like one of the kids in willie wonka choclate factory with the goal ticket the yankie bloak with tv , must be the most boring person in formula one since kimi rakkone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

dennistuam wrote: »
    i hope ham wins it he is a working class hero came up through karting ranks
    his dad had to do meniel jobs to get money to pay for the young fella
    if he wins it would make a great book or film one of the underdog
    where as massa typical of all brazilian drivers bought his way to geting a seat in formula 1 , rich dad again same as senna and barrochello he looks like one of the kids in willie wonka choclate factory with the goal ticket the yankie bloak with tv , must be the most boring person in formula one since kimi rakkone

Buying a seat gets you a place in a Minardi and the likes.
    Talent gets you a seat in a Ferrari or another good car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

nikimere wrote: »
    Hamilton, definitely deserves it more than Massa.
    I firmly believe Hamilton is a better driver, even though he's an ar$e. You can't doubt the man's talents. Massa's not enough of a "racer" for my liking, also after all the stirring/medaling that the FIA are doing in this years championship i DEFINITELY do not want a Ferrari to win.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo...!!

Are you coming to Fermoy next weekend ?? If oyu are i will slap you with a wet fish for voting Hamster :D LOL

No, Seriously though

To be honest the only reason he is where he is now is because of Ferrari's reliability issue's

How many wins was Massa denied of this season..??

How many wins did Hamster get simply because of this??

I would love to see any other drver win over that Pompus Brat ( Hamster )

Massa to win

Everyone pray that Hamiltons engine lets go half way round the last lap while he is leading by a huge margin..and Let Massa and the rest of the feild pull up beside him just to laugh in his face as the pass. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

facts are fact all brazilian drivers were rich daddy boys that did not earn it the hard way
    the big teams want big sponsers on board like ferrari they are sponcer by a brazilian oil company that are related to massa
    did you never learn from trocaire box that most south american country resorces and assets is owned by 10 percent or less of population

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Massa all the way.
    He deserves it this year.
    I think its is time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Massa:
    - Ferrari fan
    - Dislike McLaren intensely, especially Ron Dennis
    - The British media will be insufferable if Hamilton wins
    - Just don't like Hamilton basically

I'm sure I'll think of other reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Do like Massa, but would like to see Hamilton win, has had another strong season and really stood out during the wet races, Monico, GB and Spa (looked good in Monza too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Filipe - only cause I like red cars...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Massa, if only because I can't stand Hamilton. I'm resigned to the fact that he will probably win it though and am at least comforted to know that he has shown flaws this year which have injected some dose of reality into the British media (even ITV!).

Kubica has driven a better season than either Massa or Hammy and Renault's late resurgance show that having a special driver is worth the $$$$$$ (not that the Renault car hasn't improved greatly - but could you imagine them winning 2 races with a Fisi, Kovi, Trulli or even Kimi on board?)

Vettel I'm still not 100% convinced by - is it my imagination or does he blow hot-and-cold? And wasn't he beaten in the a junior formula by Paul di Resta?

pburns wrote: »
    Vettel I'm still not 100% convinced by - is it my imagination or does he blow hot-and-cold? And wasn't he beaten in the a junior formula by Paul di Resta?

Yeah, he won the title from Vettel (who was leading) in European F3 in 2006.

Rather timely question as it was in this weeks Autosport. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

facts are fact all brazilian drivers were rich daddy boys that did not earn it the hard way
    the big teams want big sponsers on board like ferrari they are sponcer by a brazilian oil company that are related to massa
    did you never learn from trocaire box that most south american country resorces and assets is owned by 10 percent or less of population

If you think Senna was just a rich kid with no talent then you haven't a notion about F1.
    Hope Massa wins, although Hamilton is a better driver he couldn't be a bigger prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Biro wrote: »
    If you think Senna was just a rich kid with no talent then you haven't a notion about F1.

Senna was talented but he did come from a "rich" family.

ferrari they are sponcer by a brazilian oil company that are related to massa

Are you sure? Not sure how Shell would feel about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I dont get all this Massa dosent deserve the drivers title or Hamilton deserves it more crap. :rolleyes:
    Massa has the most wins this season and has been on pole a few times. He may mot be the best driver currently in f1 but he is in the top 5 and i dont think a rich daddy can buy that.
    Whoever is on top on points at the end of the season deserves it even if it is going to be a McLaren driver. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Massa for 2 main reasons

1. I think this will possibly be his only shot at the title, and after the transformation he's made this year then I think the title would be much more deserved. Sadly I don't think he'll manage it, but that doesn't stop me hoping.

2. Hamilton will have more chances. I don't much like the guy, but I will admit that its pretty much inevitable that he will win the Championship at some point in the future (possibly multiple times).

Just realised that my 2 reasons are almost the same thing. Oh well. Still want Massa to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Catcher86

Massa.

He would have the title won by now if it were'nt for engine failure on last 3 laps in Hungary or the incident in singapore. Neither events were his fault.

Hamilton has made two many mistakes this season and has been his own downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I would like to see Massa win, mostly because I have been surprised at how good he has driven for most of the season. I think he was kept on at Ferrari as an able No 2 for Kimi, but nothing more.

Lewis is almost certain to win the title this year, and I am sure it will not be his last. I still do not understand most of this anti-Hamilton thing that is going on here. He is the most high-profile driver amongst Irish F1 fans, especially those who watch on ITV, and I know that can be tiresome but I don't see much in him to be so annoyed about. Also, he is a better out-and-out racer than most of his competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jor wrote: »
    I still do not understand most of this anti-Hamilton thing that is going on here. He is the most high-profile driver amongst Irish F1 fans

800 years.

:D

srsly though, I think ITV are the cause of his un-popularity here because of their (justifiably) never ending promotion of him as some kind of great british God.

I would like to see Massa win, mostly because I have been surprised at how good he has driven for most of the season. I think he was kept on at Ferrari as an able No 2 for Kimi, but nothing more.

Lewis is almost certain to win the title this year, and I am sure it will not be his last. I still do not understand most of this anti-Hamilton thing that is going on here. He is the most high-profile driver amongst Irish F1 fans, especially those who watch on ITV, and I know that can be tiresome but I don't see much in him to be so annoyed about. Also, he is a better out-and-out racer than most of his competitors.

It's nothing to do with his over-publicised talent, or hype or anything like that. It's him. Listen to what he's saying. He's an obnoxious prick who spouts big-headed crap like it's going out of fashion. "Monkeys at the back" comments (even though one of the Monkeys hammered him in the wet a few weeks ago), and "I'll never be over taken on the outside again" only a few minutes before being over-taken on the outside again! Everything he utters is coming from a guy who thinks his sh!t is chocolate.
    If he'd shut up and drive, or even be a little modest, then most people would like him.

Lewis is one of only 20 people in the world driving in one of the worlds most followed sports and, in his second year in it, he is one of the best. It think that entitles him to be a bit flash.

As for some of his comments, yes, they were stupid things to say, but who hasn't said something stupid in their lives. Add in the British media (esp. the tabloids) who will happily take any comment out of context, then what do you expect. Remember one of the drivers backing Hamilton to win the title is Adrian Sutil. So if he is not bothered about the "Monkeys" comment, why should we.

As I said previously, most media available to us is focused in Hamilton. If we got most of our F1 coverage about Alonso or Raikonnen, then we might be complaining about them (if Kimi ever spoke about anything).

Lewis is one of only 20 people in the world driving in one of the worlds most followed sports and, in his second year in it, he is one of the best. It think that entitles him to be a bit flash.

No it doesn't. 19 others don't feel entitled to be a prick. Schumacher, who was a far more complete and world famous driver than Hamilton isn't a complete prick. Nothing entitles anyone to be a prick. I'm amazed that people think that just because you can do something better than other people that you're somehow allowed to be a complete bolix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Take any 23 yesar old and give him the keys to the castle, the toy factory and line up the young ladies ..

Talented and precocious, having a fun time and taking the mickey and worst of all, being mis-quoted by the press... even to the point of Hamilton stated some of the remarks attributed to him, he never said.

Lighten up, enjoy the racing and a young master at play.

Mansell was always quoted as being a total bore, with no personality and little else other than the ability to race a car. Called a good journeyman at times but went on the achieve fame and fortune, admittedly with less talent than Hamilton.

Some things you cannot win.

Thanks Oblomov.

Biro does not seem to be getting the point of my arguement.
    I am not saying LH is entitled to be a ********, a ****** or even a *************************************. I'm saying he isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Hamilton is an arrogant little sh1t and is a terrible ambassador for the sport. His first corner move in japan was incredibly immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I want Hamilton to win. I think he's a real racer who is naturally talented. The seemingly obvious bias towards Ferrari by the stewards this year has made me want McLaren to win more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

"PBURNS Kubica has driven a better season than either Massa or Hammy"

I agree with PBURNS if you put Kubica in Hamiltion's car I would say Kubica would be further ahead in the table than Hamiltion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Oblomov wrote: »
    Take any 23 yesar old and give him the keys to the castle, the toy factory and line up the young ladies ..

Talented and precocious, having a fun time and taking the mickey and worst of all, being mis-quoted by the press... even to the point of Hamilton stated some of the remarks attributed to him, he never said.

Lighten up, enjoy the racing and a young master at play.

Mansell was always quoted as being a total bore, with no personality and little else other than the ability to race a car. Called a good journeyman at times but went on the achieve fame and fortune, admittedly with less talent than Hamilton.

Some things you cannot win.
    Thanks Oblomov.

Biro does not seem to be getting the point of my arguement.
    I am not saying LH is entitled to be a ********, a ****** or even a *************************************. I'm saying he isn't.
    This is bollix their is plenty of young talented rich soprtspeople that don't come across as arrogant arseholes every time they give an interview. What about Kubica, Kovalainen, Bourdais, Rosberg, Vettel etc... How come they dont come across as dickheads, all on similar money and around the same age as Hamilton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This is bollix their is plenty of young talented rich soprtspeople that don't come across as arrogant arseholes every time they give an interview. What about Kubica, Kovalainen, Bourdais, Rosberg, Vettel etc... How come they dont come across as dickheads, all on similar money and around the same age as Hamilton

+1

Massa FTW, very unlikely to happen though bar disaster/miracle !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Massa all the way.
    Looks like Lewis is thinking that he is god
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7686562.stm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cannot stand hamilton,he is the most arrogant and hatefull driver in F1 for years.
    A terrible ambassador for F1.

where as massa typical of all brazilian drivers bought his way to geting a seat in formula 1 , rich dad

ITV says that Massa didn't have rich parents. Massa's family says they remember constantly trying to raise money to continue racing. Do you have proof that this isn't the case?

Also, he wasn't a pay driver at Sauber. I don't believe Sauber ever hired a pay driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Massa because Hamilton is British

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Massa all the way.
    Looks like Lewis is thinking that he is god
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7686562.stm

From that.
    The 23-year-old, who is seven points clear of Ferrari's Felipe Massa heading into the race at Interlagos, wears a yellow helmet because of his admiration for Senna, who was killed in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

I could have sworn he used to say that he had a bright yellow helmet so that his dad could easily pick him out.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Defo Hamilton. Better and more entertaining driver I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

if ham wins thats it, we'll never hear the end of it. the brits are still going on about the 66 world cup.we wont be able to watch any u.k. news for the next year without havin to listen about ham. def massa, plus i'm a ferrari fan. no more needs to be said. i hate ham that much i'm praying someone like alonso will take ham out in the race

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

if ham wins thats it, we'll never hear the end of it. the brits are still going on about the 66 world cup.we wont be able to watch any u.k. news for the next year without havin to listen about ham. def massa, plus i'm a ferrari fan. no more needs to be said. i hate ham that much i'm praying someone like alonso will take ham out in the race

What about the other 8 Brits that won F1 world championships?
    Could you name all of them, cos doubtless they would also be talked about forever based on your theory right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Defo Massa, partly because im a big ferrari fan and was behind kimi before and schumacher before him. but also because i dont like hamilton at all, hes arrogant and cocky and we'd never hear the end of it., back in the BAR days when button was doing well he was a far better british role model, with a bit of luck he'll be competitive in 2009.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Hamilton comparing himself to senna is a joke. "drawing form his spirit at his home race". Oh yes Lewis I'm sure all the brazilians will be cheering you on cus you love senna so much, never mind the actual brazilian challenging you for the title. Anyway, Massa has poll and Hamilton is only two places ahead of disaster. He'll make a wild move into turn one and that'll be the end of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I could have sworn he used to say that he had a bright yellow helmet so that his dad could easily pick him out.
    That's what I remember hearing from one of the docu type things they kept on showing before the start of last year with old footage of him karting years ago. Not that the press would ever think of changing facts around to suit whatever view they were trying to push at the time of course.
    if ham wins thats it, we'll never hear the end of it. the brits are still going on about the 66 world cup.
    I encounter far more Irish people going on about '66 than I do English, wish they would just shut up their complaining for a change. The slightest hint of and English or British sporting victory and the Irish get all upset about it and complain about all the non-existent coverage of '66 that they have been bombarded with for the past 50 odd years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I suddenly lost respect for GLOCK..!!
    What in hell did he do?
    Left a plonker past that near pushed him off the track in Monza...!!

FARCE :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

that was quite simply the best 5 laps of racing ive ever seen in the 14 years i've been watching it.... amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

vectra wrote: »
    I suddenly lost respect for GLOCK..!!
    What in hell did he do?
    What he did was stay out on dry tyres, that's what he did (plonker :D).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Glock just gambled wrong on the last couple of laps, he only became an issue becasue he didn't come in and the race was one lap longer. I almost thought that Vettel wasn't trying in the last laps to overtake so was expecting the hatred for letting Hamilton win to be directed at him, but once Kubica got in the mix as well Vettel had to pass or it would have been too obvious.

Shame that we now have to endure years of the Irish whining about a Briton winning something though now. ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

TeeHee.... it almost like the US election.. they only vote for Obama because they don't want a women in power,,

You guys would sooner have Sutil than Hamilton.. just be good sports and remember the Irish heroes... Ok go with Sutil..

For talent, bringing the sport to a larger viewing audience, making the awareness blah blah blah but what a driver,,

As the saying goes, blow that out of yer old wazoo.

Hamilton, youngest even younger than the spanish guy, wot's his name... a yesterday man.

ROFLMAO

What a climax to the seaon, over 3000 miles of racing and its decided in the last 100 yards..

Bernie, when it comes to arranging things, absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement