Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The "Scene" Is Dead

• 20-10-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Before anyone says anything, I'd be the last person to refer to hard rock and metal fans as a so-called "scene", but you know what I mean when I say it.

There's never gigs to support independent rock/metal bands, it really seems like there's no real fans anymore. I think it's become too much a fashion statement.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

People would prefer to just support big bands, and bands they know well. So smaller or independant bands don't really get a look in.

But this problem exists in most countries; I have a friend in a metal band in Italy, and most metal fans there just don't give them much support locally. They don't buy the albums or go to the gigs. But they will support foreign bands playing in the exact same genre, and very similar style (funny enough, the mentioned band is quite big in Japan). It's a weird phenomena, but it happens in every country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

I think it's become too much a fashion statement.

Now isn't that being a little pretentious. You are right in the sense it is very hard for bands to come through here in Ireland. Our underground scene here is amazing. I am only just getting into it recently after a non stop metal orgy in Manchester, the scene there is absolutely brilliant. It is just promoted a hell of a lot better and the radio stations encourage it. The fans are definitely there, there's no doubt about that (myself included).

Have a look through this thread. It is a compiled archive of underground/start-up/established bands here in Ireland. Plenty of information out there. Sift through it when you get the time. They are all well represented and almost all have a myspace or bebo account, or their own website, so you can listen to some mp3 singles they have up, check if they are gigging. They are all there dude, see what takes your interest, and if you like them, go out and support them. I had a conversation with another poster not too long ago and we spoke about the production quality of independent bands here and she said the quality was very bad and it put her off supporting a lot of them. I disagree with that as I am with a film production company and have shot videos and mixed audio samples for several bands here. A decent playing ability coupled with using either Cubase or ProTools and you are away with it. In fact some small bands here have uploaded their videos to youtube and the quality is brilliant. Great for gettting yourself out there, self promotion.

The Metal scene in Ireland is very much alive and well and is waiting to be explored. So much out there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267251

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There's never gigs to support independent rock/metal bands, it really seems like there's no real fans anymore.
    There are gigs for independant bands every day of the week all around the country. Do you just mean foreign independant bands? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

There's definately a 'scene' to support in Ireland. There are plenty of gigs on and one or two festivals. The problem is finding out about these gigs and getting people bothered to attend. One band I would recommend is Slave Zero, seen them a couple of times around Dublin and they're quality, Cornored are also a decent Dublin act, both bands have myspace pages so look em up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was in the Quays bar in Galway a week or two ago, they were hosting for 4-5 local bands, and most of them were bloody brilliant. This sort of thing happens all the time around here. Sounds like a scene to me.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Having gone to random parts of the country, I've noticed that Dublin has a weak metal following when it comes to local bands. It would seem that Dublin is spoilt, and people don't seem to make the effort anymore unless they're mates with the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Northern Ireland has a thriving metal community. Kilkenny is also really starting to develop it's own fan base. There is a label down there that signs bands. On the lookout for new bands they constantly are, which is a great thing.

Advertisement