Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aer arann to go charter

Options
  • 20-10-2008 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

there is a post on another forum that Aer Arann is going to lay off 100 people as it refocuses on charter business. I can find no press announcements. Is this true.
    Seems bizarre that they are going charter when charter airlines are going out of business all around and their fleet doesn't seem suited to this business either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

This link may explain some of it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1020/jobs.html

IMO seems to be that they are taking sensible action to prevent total loss. Their main routes will be un-affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yes, but Aer Arann will not be your average charter airline doing flights to Spain and the like

They will still be operating most of their core routes, but have more room for fitting charters into the schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

May I suggest the first customer of this be the Government. They should scrap the Gulfstream IV and settle for the more fuel efficient ATR 72-500 aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Sadly I think it's game over. Aer Arann will join the list of hopeful Irish airlines to go under in due course. The charter thing never works, not with ATRs.

It'll bring down Galway airport with it. There is always a silver lining! That smug little operation was always living on borrowed time. Too late to build the proper runway now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sadly I think it's game over. Aer Arann will join the list of hopeful Irish airlines to go under in due course. The charter thing never works, not with ATRs.

It'll bring down Galway airport with it. There is always a silver lining! That smug little operation was always living on borrowed time. Too late to build the proper runway now.
    May be they could modify these planes to be fitted with just 20 seats. That way they would have a strong advantage over O' Leary on the London and continental Routes. IE the passengers would escape the €10 departure tax :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

May be they could modify these planes to be fitted with just 20 seats. That way they would have a strong advantage over O' Leary on the London and continental Routes. IE the passengers would escape the €10 departure tax :D
    That would never work, as the costs for a 20 seater would be significantly higher for each passanger

Advertisement