Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam in Ballymun?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

There's a manhole cover in Ballymun which constantly has steam coming out of it, it's near the shopping centre opposite a thing that looks like a small power station. Could anyone tell me what this is? My guess is that it is central heating for the flats but I really am curious. I can't think of anywhere else in the country that constantly has steam coming out of the ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah that is a central heating system they have there. Surprised it still works :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

murphaph wrote: »
    Yeah that is a central heating system they have there. Surprised it still works :D

Seeing the amount of steam coming out of the footpath I'm not so sure it does. :D

So how did it work? A centralised system for all of Ballymun? It's a cool idea and doesn't happen anywhere else in Ireland AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Seeing the amount of steam coming out of the footpath I'm not so sure it does. :D

So how did it work? A centralised system for all of Ballymun? It's a cool idea and doesn't happen anywhere else in Ireland AFAIK.
    from what I've been told, it was built-in as part of the flats in the 60's, possible because the majority of people move to the flats would have been coming from solid fuel (coal) burning homes in the city center. So to avoid coal deliveries to the flats, they had a central system.
    If I recall correctly, lots of the UK/France high rises would have had similar systems. It's still used in cities like NYC to heat buildings, hence the occasianal high pressure steam explosions you read about.

Advertisement