Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity leave rights for fathers - Petition.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It would be nice to get is on more politcal parties agendas then just SF.
    Most people do not know that fathers don't have the right to parternity leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

loyatemu wrote: »
    While I fully agree with this campaign, an online petition isn't worth the paper its not written on. You really need signatures on paper to get anyone to take notice.
    Hey feel free to print it off and stand on the streets lol. I plan to print it off and send it via mail eventually when its got enough signatures. Hoping everyone will do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Your petition doesn't say who you think ought to pay for said paternity leave.
    I would agree with your quest if it was paid by the state, but not if the employer should have to pay. Then again, one might argue why should the tax payer pay for me to have time off with what is my choice to have children in any event.

As a father myself, and an employer, I think qualified unpaid leave is the proper solution. My reason? As an employer with three staff, were I to lose one for three months paid I would have to pay someone else to do the job also. This would put me out of business and three people out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Your petition doesn't say who you think ought to pay for said paternity leave.
    I would agree with your quest if it was paid by the state, but not if the employer should have to pay. Then again, one might argue why should the tax payer pay for me to have time off with what is my choice to have children in any event.

As a father myself, and an employer, I think qualified unpaid leave is the proper solution. My reason? As an employer with three staff, were I to lose one for three months paid I would have to pay someone else to do the job also. This would put me out of business and three people out of work.
    I understand where you are coming from but we arent talking about 3 months. Seven days is all the petition has asked for ... which I think is reasonable. Most people cant afford to take any of the 14 weeks unpaid parental leave that they are entitled to ... bills to pay etc. As an employer who has three employees could you not be able to cover using your other employees for 7 days. What do you do when they take their annual leave?

As far as wither or not the government should be paying for it, I believe yes the government should be paying for it, in part at least. I know you will say that the tax payers shouldnt have to pay for me to have kids, but the vast majority of tax payers will at some stage have kids and be able to avail of this also... so really they are also paying for themselves or their OH to be able to take paid leave. We dont ask for a huge amount of time, just enough to be able to care for the mother/other children should she have to undergo a c-section and also to help the father FEEL like the valuable memeber of the family that he is and not just a pay check or bread winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I think we all agree that the paternity leave is necessary. How it will be implemented will not be decided by the terms of the petition anyway. I have signed it and will forward to other people.
    Just as a note, my employer gives a full one day paid off, which is one day more than the law tells them to give. Only that my wife ended in labour for 36 hours, so it didn't even cover the pre-birth phase...

Advertisement