Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jay o'shea transfer?

• 20-10-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Is the in form jay O'Shea good enough to get a transfer come January to a championship club? Or if Galway Can't avoid the drop(touch wood) can he continue to grow and shine in a second division team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Second Division?

What?

Do you mean the LoI First Division?

If you do, then he needs to stay in the Premier Division.

Shelbourne have a very talented player in James Chambers, but there is little or no actual skill level in the First Division, and these type of players are ineffective. Chambers has been benched most of this season, with more "graft" like players getting games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Des wrote: »
    Second Division?
    Apologies i am still half asleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Suppossedly, he has a trial with Leeds at the end of the season.

Don't see him staying at Galway, tbh, whether or not they stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Suppossedly, he has a trial with Leeds at the end of the season.

Don't see him staying at Galway, tbh, whether or not they stay up.

Leeds :o

Galway are better than Leeds, especially since Stan moved there

Leeds would be a step down for him although I think that people are over rating him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

He could always move to a premier division club. Dave mooney finished top scorer last year and had a few trials with a few english clubs before opting to sign for city.

he managed to carry his form from last season into this season and was snapped up by reading (which was a shame:(). i think if jay o' shea signed for a premier division club for a year or two it would help him develop as a player as he would have a better chance of getting regular first team football than he would with a championship club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Leeds would be a step down for him although I think that people are over rating him.
    Agree that Leeds aren't up to much but I wouldn't be surprised if he went. Probably more money to be made there and a lot more likely to be getting call ups.

Having seen a lot of Jay last season, he's come on a lot since moving to Galway.

He had a lot to offer last season with his runs, control and crosses but now he's starting to add goals and his final ball's lot better. That's just in one year of first-team football (he wasn't a regular for us). Anytime I've seen him for Galway this year, he's been their best player. I only see him getting better and better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Are you serious!? I'd be pretty confident leeds would walk all over galway. Never mind the fact that he might get a bit more noticed by bigger clubs over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is he injured? He's not in the squad tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is he injured? He's not in the squad tonight
    Under-23 duty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

A lad in my class is his best mate. I think he should join a top LOI side first and then look to progress from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

We've beaten Pat's tonight so we're closer to staying up now and we're playing well too.

Would be great if he stayed next year but I doubt it. I heard he's going on a trial at Birmingham City in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

kraggy wrote: »
    We've beaten Pat's tonight so we're closer to staying up now and we're playing well too.

Would be great if he stayed next year but I doubt it. I heard he's going on a trial at Birmingham City in a few weeks.

Just back from a weekend in the UK, fantastic result.:cool:
    Yes, i heard he has a trial with Birmingham City as well, and United won't be letting him go anyways cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

hes too good for leeds anyway...midtable championship team at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Galway deserved to win last night, Pat's were muck. It was pretty much a reserve Pat's side, but i still expected better. We only got going once Fahey came on.
    Good win for Galway though. Kenna seems to be turning things around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The relegation issue is brilliant this season. I think we can safely say that UCD are gone. 5 points adrift of inform Cobh and Galway. I think there is life in Harps yet, and the winner of the Galway Harps game 2nd last of the season will decide who stays up. Cobh, while on a decent run, have the trickiest run in, away to Derry last game, and they must play Bohs as well.

I am rooting for Cobh or Galway anyway. Happy as long as its one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Are you serious!? I'd be pretty confident leeds would walk all over galway. Never mind the fact that he might get a bit more noticed by bigger clubs over there.
    I think it's fair to say that a move to a League 1 club wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for him. Better off staying in the EL Premier than heading to anyone outside the top two divisions in England. Personally, I think at least one more season for him in Ireland would be the best option for him - he's still young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im not saying he should or shouldn't move, I was just responding to the fact someone said moving to leeds would be a "step down" from galway.

On another note, Gary Mac is a bit of legend, Im sure you could learn more from him than Kenna.

Im not saying he should or shouldn't move, I was just responding to the fact someone said moving to leeds would be a "step down" from galway.
    And all I'm saying is that it would be a bit pointless for a top young player (not sure we could call him that just yet) in the EL to move to League 1. You might not call it a step down, but I certainly wouldn't call it a step up.

Well if Galway stay up and he stayed another year there i'd say it would do him a world of good that said if Birmingham offer him a place he could be in the premier league this time next year That would definitely help him grow as a player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Jay is off to England for sure. Deal is 99%. Excellent price being received for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Jay is off to England for sure. Deal is 99%. Excellent price being received for him.
    Going to Derby for €340k is what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Best of luck to the chap, I would have preferred to see him play for Bohs or St Pats next season but he will be another example of the quality players the LOI are producing at the moment.

Padraig Amond be next to go across the water I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Going to Derby for €340k is what I heard.

That could be an excellent start to our season financially.:cool:

Looks like the deal is virtually done:
    Kenna told Monday’s Irish Daily Mirror: “I do expect to lose Jay as he’s at Derby for a week. They are the only club that has come along in terms of what we need.

“We’ve agreed a deal and if everything goes to plan he will sign for Derby soon.”
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=34945

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

400,000 pounds:eek:

SantryRed wrote: »
    €600k. Must be one of the highest fees paid to an LOI club. I think only Alan Bennett and Roy O'Donovan cost more (Mooney would have too if it wasn't for Cork's problems).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

€600k.

£400k is around €475k these days. Does anyone know how much Galway are getting up front and how much depends on appearances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'm still creaming myself at that, bloody delighted.

if he goes on to be a big success for derby and gets sold along won't Galway get a slice of that too? I read before something to do with funniling money back to clubs that brought them up?

if he goes on to be a big success for derby and gets sold along won't Galway get a slice of that too? I read before something to do with funniling money back to clubs that brought them up?
    Yeah, 5% of all transfer fees are divided amongst the clubs the player was at from 12-23. Explained properly in link (at bottom).
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=44

Yeah, 5% of all transfer fees are divided amongst the clubs the player was at from 12-23. Explained properly in link (at bottom).
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=44
    lets hope he's worth 30 million one day;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Seems he is settling straight in..........delighted for him.

http://www.derbycounty-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=417741

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

€600k. .

There was a time when 400k sterling might have been worth it but not anymore
    As said, around 475,000 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

He a decent player, but nowhere near good enough for Championship football yet!

Dave Mooney is a FAR better player yet - he has not played one league game for Reading this season!

Wouldn't have paid more than £120k. Fair play to Galway though - Don't know how they managed that!!!

blue-army wrote: »
    He a decent player, but nowhere near good enough for Championship football yet!

Dave Mooney is a FAR better player yet - he has not played one league game for Reading this season!

Wouldn't have paid more than £120k. Fair play to Galway though - Don't know how they managed that!!!
    Reading are a much better team then derby and derby are also going through an injury bad patch atm if i remember rightly
    does he have to wait till january to start playing or could he play on loan till then?

blue-army wrote: »
    In fairness, look at who's keeping him out of the first team.

Advertisement