Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network, new phone & unlocking

• 20-10-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hey, just wanted to make a query about the unlocking process with certain phones. I'm already on the Meteor network and am pretty happy with them.

I'm currently using an xda orbit, but I'm finding the tip tappy(stylus) texting function a bit of an inconvenience so I'm keen to get another phone, a 3G phone. The 3G phones are a bit too expensive and don't supply the phone I'd my heart set on, which is a Nokia 6120. I'm attracted to the fact that it has free google, skype and window live on it.

Should I proceed in buying this phone, would it be feasible to have it unlocked, used on the meteor network and not foiling any of the aforesaid functions? What I'm wondering too, is, is a 3G phone's functionality(google etc) pending on the network one is on, or do these phones work regardless of what network you're on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't go within a 100 miles of a nokia 6120, there are a really bad phone, littered with problems....pick a different 3g phone.........

EDIT:

That phone is set up for 3, all those features won't work when you put your meteor sim in.....pointless unlocking it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

a 3G phone
    just so we have the terminology right, the network is called 3, not 3g. a 3g phone is a type of phone that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the 3 network. what you're looking for is a 3 phone.
    . The 3G phones are a bit too expensive and don't supply the phone I'd my heart set on, which is a Nokia 6120. I'm attracted to the fact that it has free google, skype and window live on it.

Should I proceed in buying this phone, would it be feasible to have it unlocked, used on the meteor network and not foiling any of the aforesaid functions? What I'm wondering too, is, is a 3G phone's functionality(google etc) pending on the network one is on, or do these phones work regardless of what network you're on?

free google, skype and windows live are services offered by the 3 network and can be used on almost all of their phones, including the 6120. if you use the 6120 on meteor, none of these services will be free and you won't be able to use the 3 branded versions of skype and windows live. basically there's no point in getting a 3 phone to use on meteor for these services because you'll have to get extra programs for the phone to use them anyway and they won't be free

getting it unlocked could be expensive but i haven't looked at unlocking prices recently. 3 won't unlock it for you unless you spend €130 in credit

edit: and the 6120 is crap. don't buy it

Just to twist the knife completley, If you get a 3 phone unloked and it has to go back for repair it will come back to you relocked to 3....if you want a 3 phone get a 3 phone but don't try and unlock it just to use it on meteor.....if you don't like 3, 02 also do the 6120 but the same applies....

3 is a phone company

3G Mobile is a name of a high street store like carphone warehouse..

3G is a technology (available from all networks except tesco)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Looks like I may have problems with that phone anyway. Suppose I should just stick to Meteor, but the limited range(3G phones, ready to go) is a bit galling. I also had an interest in the Nokia 6500. Any views on this one?

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Looks like I may have problems with that phone anyway. Suppose I should just stick to Meteor, but the limited range is a bit galling. I also had an interest in the Nokia 6500. Any views on this one?

lol, there's only 1 thing worse than a 6120 and that's a 6500 slide.....the 6500 classic is a nice phone and I haven't seen any problems with them.....in fact a guy told me the other day the 6500 classic is the best phone he's ever had....

• Advertisement

Ha. I tend to go for the boxier, bulkier phone. I previously had a slim Nokia 2630 and it was appalling. Speaking of classics, the 3210 was a real 'classic' - volkswagen of mobiles.

Ha. I tend to go for the boxier, bulkier phone. I previously had a slim Nokia 2630 and it was appalling. Speaking of classics, the 3210 was a real 'classic' - volkswagen of mobiles.

the new 3120 classic is a nice phone and I think skype and msn messenger come with it.....might me worth a look...good phone for the money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I have the 6500 slide and think its grand but I want the tocco, I rather a bulkier phone, 2630 is too slim, the 6120 is a nice phone but when they're hassle they're hassle!!
    Nokia 3120 Classic is available on Meteor so you dont have to worry about unlocking, there is a risk that if you have an unlocked 3 phone, send it for repair that it may come back locked but not all the time!:)

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I have the 6500 slide and think its grand but I want the tocco, I rather a bulkier phone, 2630 is too slim, the 6120 is a nice phone but when they're hassle they're hassle!!
    Nokia 3120 Classic is available on Meteor so you dont have to worry about unlocking, there is a risk that if you have an unlocked 3 phone, send it for repair that it may come back locked but not all the time!:)

Interesting. Can I also ask you about the Google function on the phone. I should really go into the shop and inquire but i thought I'd throw it out here - It says you can browse Google for free, but does this mean you'd be suckered for a tariff or such if you were to open other links despite using it as the initial search engine.

Interesting. Can I also ask you about the Google function on the phone. I should really go into the shop and inquire but i thought I'd throw it out here - It says you can browse Google for free, but does this mean you'd be suckered for a tariff or such if you were to open other links despite using it as the initial search engine.

I don't know as far as google goes, my 6500s is unlocked and sent it to Dublin to have the software upgraded and it didn't relock- I had a dodgy memory card in the end-nothing wrong with phone. I'm getting the tocco on Wednesday so I have it up on boards unlocked

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=75079&cat=14

Three is a grand network though I loved the free messenger when I was on the network back in the day! Three are lacking free any network txts though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Have to say I enjoyed my 6120 thoroughly, cracking little phone it was and served as a cheap HSDPA modem too.

long_b wrote: »
    Have to say I enjoyed my 6120 thoroughly, cracking little phone it was and served as a cheap HSDPA modem too.

I love 6120's but I've a pain in my hand writing two of them in for repairs but then again how many did I sell?!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I love 6120's but I've a pain in my hand writing two of them in for repairs but then again how many did I sell?!

when you put it like that:cool:, in fairness to the 6120 it's a little hot rod of a phone....it could be the one to go for.....

this might sound girly but I think the white looks the coolest and i never had one back for repair.......;)

note to self: don't be so quick to remember the bad times
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I got a Nokia E65 as a parting gift from my work, its locked to the 3 network, is it possible to get it unlocked? I cant find an unlocking code anywhere for it..:(

I got a Nokia E65 as a parting gift from my work, its locked to the 3 network, is it possible to get it unlocked? I cant find an unlocking code anywhere for it..:(

I doubt you'll be able to get it unocked over the net....try a local store....it could set you back €60+ it's not a simple unlock...:(

it works pretty well on 3....I think it's one of the best phones they have....nearly every app works......might be worth giving it a go for a while....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I doubt you'll be able to get it unocked over the net....try a local store....it could set you back €60+ it's not a simple unlock...:(

it works pretty well on 3....I think it's one of the best phones they have....nearly every app works......might be worth giving it a go for a while....:rolleyes:

What he said about unlocking. A turbo sim may also be a cheaper solution for you but do at your own risk. Regarding three - they offer some unique features like msn, skype, fantastic packages and flexible bundles but meteor aren't to be sniffed at either, particularly with the free evening weekend xnet and anytime landline calls on the talk 300. I find three to be the best for my needs but when things go wrong they do go bannana's in spectacular style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rustybubbles

Hi

Sorry but Im in a bad state in oz and in need of some help. Im broke but have an oz sim card with a blocked Meteor Nokia 2630 phone.

The imei is

(mod edit. Don't post your imei on public forum - random)

Can anyone tell me the unlocking code?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hi

Sorry but Im in a bad state in oz and in need of some help. Im broke but have an oz sim card with a blocked Meteor Nokia 2630 phone.

The imei is

Can anyone tell me the unlocking code?

You cant unlock this free online. It needs to be unlocked by ring meteor and asking for the unlock code, or take it to an unlocking shop any they will remove the network lock for you then and their.

Also you shouldnt post your imei on the internet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

Thoght id piggy back this thread!
    I won a phone over the xmas with a 3 network pack. The phone is locked to the 3 network but i want to put my work sim in. Can i get this unlcked without going directly to them ( i presume they wont unlock as i wuld have no intention of using their network?)
    The phone is a nokia 2730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

Cheers ill look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

This post has been deleted.

100% Correct mate :)

Advertisement